PhD project – Resource-oriented systems for small Italian communities

14.8k views

Page selection:
  • Nevenka
    Topic Author
  • PhD student in Environmental Enginnering at Padua University (Italy) dealing with EcoSan systems in Italian small communities

Re: PhD project – Resource-oriented systems for small Italian communities

Dear all,

For my Phd project (described in my previous post), I am developing a Multi-criteria analysis framework for sustainable sanitations appropriate for small communities in the Italian context.
I am now defining the alternatives of sustainable sanitation systems to be included in the framework. I found a lot of material about sanitation for developing countries (such as the Eawag-Sandec Compendium of Sanitation Systems) and demonstrative cases applied to the developed world (such as the SuSanA case studies).

From the literature review I conducted, I am not able to find a compendium that gathers sustainable and/or ecological sanitation systems appropriate for the "developed" world.
To your knowledge, does such a work exist?

Thank you in advance
All the best,
Nevenka

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Nevenka
    Topic Author
  • PhD student in Environmental Enginnering at Padua University (Italy) dealing with EcoSan systems in Italian small communities

Thank you Kifle Misganaw, I read about the amazing project in Adama!!! However, the focus of my study is on defining EcoSan systems appropriate for the Italian context, which is quite different in many aspects from Ethiopia.
Thank you anyway and I hope one day I will be able to come ti visit this project.

Best regards
Nevenka

• kifle1adama

Hi it nice
My name is Kifle Misganaw from ROSSAdama UDDT you can make your research in Adama since and technology university in Ethiopia.you can see
UDDT adama
forum.susana.org/forum/categories/34-uri...-waste-as-fertilizer

it open for reserchers and you can contact me kiflems@ yahoo.com

• Nevenka
    Topic Author

PhD project – Resource-oriented systems for small Italian communities

Hi to everyone,

I am writing here to open my PhD project to feedback/discussions/advice.

The EcoSan concept is not diffused in Italy and, to my knowledge, there is almost no research going on. Meanwhile I believe that Italy, suffering from water scarcity (south and islands), from rural depopulation, and having several communities not connected to central sewers, represents a great opportunity for the development of ecological sanitation.

My research goal is the development of ecological/sustainable sanitation system models/prototypes appropriate for small communities in the Italian context, taking into consideration the Italian geography, weather, regulations, present sanitation conditions, environmental awareness, and social traditions and acceptance. More precisely, I want to select some Italian case studies (one single isolated house, a group of houses, a small neighbourhood, a small rural municipality), analyse them along all the above-mentioned aspects, and develop a multi-criteria evaluation model that allows, for each case study, to compare different ecological sanitation systems and to select the most appropriate.

Expected results:
  • Start to introduce ecological sanitation and sustainable development concepts in the Italian research.
  • Understanding of the Italian sanitation situation and the social acceptance of EcoSan technologies.
  • Understanding of the barriers to ecological sanitation diffusion in Italy.
  • Definition of a multi-criteria framework and of the information collection tools (such as questionnaires) optimized for the Italian context.
  • Comparison of different sanitation systems for some case studies of different population size.
I would really love to get feedback/advice from these forum users; also because, being this topic not common in Italian Universities, I have no reference researcher here, but still I really believe in the EcoSan approach and therefore I am willing to proceed in this research direction.

Thank you in advance and special thanks to the SuSanA forum developers who made all these networking and discussions possible!

A smile
Nevenka Martinello
The following user(s) like this post: canaday, KaiMikkel

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds