ID4D - Ideas for Development: Sanitation and nutrition: Should we link them together in our development actions? Nov 2015 in Paris (France) - synthesis available

Page selection:
  • F H Mughal
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

Re: ID4D - Ideas for Development, 17-11-2015 in Paris (France)

Dear Jona,

I appreciate your efforts. The event is important and useful.
Thank you for your response.

Regards,
F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Jona
    Topic Author

Dear Mughal,

So far, the synthesis (blog) is the only documentation available in English (summary and video only in French). As it is not me / ACF who uploaded the video, I cannot just add subtitles myself. Nevertheless I have forwarded the request and will share news on this.

Best,
Jona
Business Development Manager
LAVESE - aquanesa solution

• F H Mughal
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

Dear Jona,

I'm unable to find the summary. The link is lead me to the blog. Could you kindly attach the summary.

Will it be possible for you to post the video in English?

Regards,

F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Thanks for posting this, Jona.
It's nice to see that AFD (French Development Agency (Agence Française de Développement) - see e.g. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Development_Agency) has also picked up on this topic of WASH and nutrition integration.

It would be good to know what impact this conference has had behind the scenes at AFD and other French organizations working in the WASH or nutrition sectors?

The conference summary in English, but from a French perspective, is quite interesting:
ideas4development.org/en/sanitation-and-...velopment-actions-4/

This part of the summary was interesting for me:

What are the reasons for this segmentation? The two sectors do not involve the same type of economic circuit: access to water and the sanitation activity involve “market-based relations between service providers and the beneficiary users”, whereas nutrition falls within a different sphere that does not require so much heavy infrastructure. The two sectors also work with different actors: sanitation involves working “with municipalities and the technical services of local governments [….] and nutrition “more with healthcare institutions than with municipalities” (Frédéric Naulet).

Furthermore, there is not total consensus on the degree to which water, sanitation and nutrition issues should be integrated. AFD advocates for a case-by-case approach, depending on the projects: “Otherwise there is a risk of blurring the lines, which partly prevents a scaling-up” (Cassilde Brenière). For GRET, integrated programs are relevant: “which is especially the case in territories that suffer from a combination of handicaps (extreme poverty, high nutritional prevalence, isolation”. However, in these areas where institutions are often weak, “it is extremely difficult to guarantee the permanence of sanitation services and sustainability of hygiene and nutrition awareness-raising programs”. GRET therefore advocates for “cross-fertilization”, which involves “identifying in each sector […] the common issues and innovations that can benefit one another” (Frédéric Naulet).

And I applaud the organisers for having filmed the event and for making the footage available (in a perfect world, there would be English subtitles to the French videos :-) )

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• Jona
    Topic Author

The full documentation of the ID4D conference "Sanitation and nutrition: Should we link them together in our development actions?" / "Assainissement et nutrition: faut-il lier les deux dans nos actions de développement?" that was held on 17th November 2015 in Paris in the run-up to the World Toilet Day is now available.

- Read the conference synthesis in French ideas4development.org/assainissement-et-...eloppement-synthese/ ...
- ... and in English ideas4development.org/en/sanitation-and-...velopment-actions-4/
- Have a look at the video documentation (French) ideas4development.org/assainissement-et-...de-developpement-fr/

The debate was coordinated Emmanuelle Bastide, journalist at RFI. The speakers were Joséphine Ouédraogo, Ministry of Agriculture, water Resources, Sanitation and Food Security, Burkina Faso (in visioconference); Cassilde Brenière, Head of AFD’s Water and Sanitation Division at AF; Jean Lapègue, Technical Advisor for Water, Sanitation and Hygiene at the Scientific and Technical Department of Action Against Hunger (ACF) France; Frédéric Naulet Head of Drinking Water and Sanitation Programs at GRET.

• Jona
    Topic Author

ID4D - Ideas for Development: Sanitation and nutrition: Should we link them together in our development actions? Nov 2015 in Paris (France) - synthesis available

Dear SuSanA members,

Also in the run-up of the World Toilet Day, I would like to draw your attention to an event that is organized by the Agence Française pour Développement (AFD) and might be of special interest to the French-speaking SuSanA community.

On the 17th November in Paris, a conference debate is taking place titled “Sanitation and nutrition: Should we link them together in our development actions?” "Assainissement et nutrition : faut-il lier les deux dans nos actions de développement ?" Jean Lapegue (ACF) will be on the panel together with Cassilde Brennière (AFD), Frédéric Naulet (GRET) and François LOMPO, Minister of agriculture, water resources and food security of Burkina Faso via videoconference. The event is going to take place in French!

How to take part even if you are not able to travel, and other detailed information are available on the AFD homepage (click here for the French and here for English description). Make sure you register in time for the event in case you plan to attend.

The video of the livestream will soon be available here: ideas4development.org/conference/

Best regards,
Jona

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds