Horizontal Challenges: WASH and Nutrition Integration - Presentation from WEDC Conference 2015 (USAID WASHplus Project, Mali, Uganda)

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Horizontal Challenges: WASH and Nutrition Integration - Presentation from WEDC 2015

Dear Renuka,

Thanks a lot for posting about your work here. I was fortunate enough to attend your presentation at the WEDC conference (which you posted above) and enjoyed it very much! Thank you.

The term "horizontal challenges" would be new to many SuSanA members (including myself). I learnt from your paper that it refers to "horizontal programming" across various sectors (nutrition, WASH) within a funding organization. Could you perhaps give a more proper definition of how "horizontal programming" really works (perhaps with a link to another paper where it is explained?).

I liked your lessons learnt and challenges section. In your paper, you spell it out (but it doesn't let me copy from the pdf file), so just in summary from your presentation:

Challenges:

• Planned vs. Opportunistic Integration
  • One-way vs. Two-way Integration
  • Dissonance in Targeting and Measurement

With the WASH Plus project coming to an end this year (?), how do you envision the findings that you made being taken forward into other follow-on projects perhaps?

The donor for WASH Plus was USAID; would you say that USAID is quite advanced with this horizontal programming by now? Which other donors are equally on a good track here? Gates Foundation? The German GIZ?

Did you attend the recent WASH and Nutrition Forum in Bonn, Germany by any chance? If yes, could you give us some feedback about it here?:
forum.susana.org/forum/categories/228-bo...nutrition-forum-2015

Kind regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • rbery
  • Topic Author

Horizontal Challenges: WASH and Nutrition Integration - Presentation from WEDC Conference 2015 (USAID WASHplus Project, Mali, Uganda)

Development programming is often vertical which means that a programme focuses on a single issue, such as water and sanitation or nutrition. The purpose is to target resources and maximize returns on investments that can be easily measured by defined goals and objectives. However, this does not foster comprehensive approaches or solutions to more complex problems and promotes competition for scarce funding resources. Horizontal programming, on the other hand, provides a more integrated approach to programming that mirrors people’s lives, but is difficult to measure and demonstrate so donors are reluctant to support such integration that cannot be proven to improve results.

This is a copy of the paper and presentation given at the Water Engineering and Development Centre conference in Loughborough, UK in July 2015 that illustrates WASHplus' approach to WASH and nutrition programming.
This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Thanks, Renuka Bery

This attachment is hidden for guests.

This message has attachments files.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds