Magazine: Africa Water, Sanitation & Hygiene in 2013

Page selection:
  • mwaniki
    Topic Author

Re: Africa Water, Sanitation & Hygiene Nov - Dec 2013 Vol. 8 No.5

Dear all

Welcome to the Africa Water, Sanitation & Hygiene Nov - Dec 2013 Vol. 8 No.5.

You are invited to send your comments in regard to the topics of in edition to the editor.

You may view this edition via this link afriwater.org/publications

Kind regards

S.Mwaniki Publisher
Am the publisher of the Africa Water,Sanitation & Hygiene and the C.E.O. of Transworld Publishers Ltd.,Nairobi-Kenya.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • canaday
  • A biologist working toward sustainability

Re: Africa Water, Sanitation & Hygiene Sept-Oct 2013 Vol.8 No.4

Dear Steven and Elisabeth,

Steven, thank you very much for your kind words of encouragement. So many times it seems that mine is a voice in the wilderness (when I want it to be a voice FOR the wilderness, with all of its biodiversity). For example, I am amazed that no one has chimed in about my suggestions for the GIZ Review of UDDTs ... and no one has even said a syllable about my suggestion to put plants and a couple small fish into Eawag's Blue Diversion UDDTs, to help purify the water and to make the unit more fun for the users.

I give you full permission to republish any of my posts to the SuSanA Forum or the EcoSanRes Yahoogroup, with the only conditions being that you keep my name on it as author, you mention the forum where it was first published, and you let me know when it will come out ... and you would obviously do these things anyway. It would be an honor to be published in your journal. (I am preparing a post for inodoroseco.blogspot.com and phlush.org of a totally functional UDDT with zero monetary investment, thinking of homeless people in the USA, but equally applicable for poor people anywhere who want to keep their environment clean. I will mention it on this forum when it is posted.)

About the 5 MB download, I have been downloading for 50 minutes and it is not to 25% yet, with my slow Ecuadorian internet. I highly suggest making it so one can view it as a webpage or blog, which would load much faster. (Thank you, Elisabeth, for posting the table of contents.)

Have you been following the What To Do With Poo Challenge in Nakuru County, Kenya? I have posted an initial concept, whattodowithpoo.com/challenge/concepts/508, and I have a week to polish and complete the idea, so all suggestions would be very welcome, especially from Kenyans. And, if my concept is selected, we will be looking for hard-working, entrepreneurial Kenyans to help implement it, so any contacts or suggestions you could offer would be very appreciated. (A seemingly unrelated question: what currently happens to disposable CocaCola and similar bottles in Kenya? Do they have a monetary value on the street? Another question: how much does leather tanning contaminate the water there and how interested are people and local governments in controling this?)

Keep up the good work.

Best wishes,
Chris Canaday
Conservation Biologist and EcoSan Promoter
Omaere Ethnobotanical Park
Puyo, Pastaza, Ecuador, South America
inodoroseco.blogspot.com

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Steve (and all Kenyans),

This Westgate Shopping Mal terrorist attack was really horrible and tragic, and I can fully imagine that everyone in Nairobi is really shaken up and saddened by these events. It was all over the news here in Germany as well (not only because foreigners were also involved). I am sending my condolences to those who lost family members, friends or colleagues. Our thoughts are with you all! It seems like the government handled it as well as any government could do.

Nevertheless, I am not deterred and I have just booked my flight to Nairobi where I will be from 14-18 October for the IWA Development Congress. I hope to meet up with many of our Kenyan forum participants in person at the conference or maybe on the Friday after the conference where I am hoping to see some interesting stuff in Nairobi (e.g. Sanergy, Peepoople - yet to be arranged).

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• mwaniki
    Topic Author

Hi Elisabeth

I have seen the entry up the page.I know what you mean but the events that happened here in Nairobi during the past few days have left us in deep shock and speechless.Our printer advised us that his paper supplier died by the hands of the terrorists and was short of supplies.So we had to amend the publication by pulling out 4 pages to meet their stores for the print edition.But as you may have observed, the contents page has the 'regulars' and we are sorry that it does not correlate with the pagination of articles in the inside pages.I can't blame the designer for the oversight as she is at the moment missing 2 of her relatives who are suspected to be in the ramble of the collapsed part of the Westgate Mall which was attacked.It was an indiscriminate slaughter of children, women, the old, everyone.The carnage has affected all Kenyans in every level and not forgetting the loss within the international community.It's all very sad here.

But Kenyans are made of steel.Yet as the butchery went on, the general public were able to donate 11,000 pints of blood for the injured and more than US$ 1 million to meet hospital expenses.That was the kind of spirit among Kenyans. After the U.S. Embassy bombing here in 1987 when hundreds of Kenyans died,the nation experienced a disaster.But now we are just extremely devastated.The burial ceremonies started yesterday and will go on until all he victims are buried.After that life will go on.What we are asking the Government now is to heighten the security in the country so that something of this nature does not recur.

God bless Kenya

Regards / Steven
Am the publisher of the Africa Water,Sanitation & Hygiene and the C.E.O. of Transworld Publishers Ltd.,Nairobi-Kenya.
The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Steve,
The announcement of your new edition is in this same thread, please scrol up (I always move them into this one thread to keep them all together).

Chris: I know what you mean, but this edition is "only" 5.5 BM (previous ones were much larger, so I definetely see your point).

I have made a screenshot of the table of contents from the pdf file for you (but there is much more in there than what is listed in the table of contents):

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
Attachments:

• mwaniki
    Topic Author

Hi Chris !!!

Didn't know you are in Ecuador. Thanks for your contributions to the community.Yours are in-depth high quality and well researched stuff.You have helped us understand some material which wouldn't have been found anywhere else.Do you mind if I use some of your comments for readers who don't have access to the forum? This is a free publication and not for sale.

We have just posted the Sept-Oct 2013 edition of the Africa Water, Sanitation & Hygiene but probably in the processes within the forum.

Thanks again for your kind regards

S.Mwaniki

• canaday
  • A biologist working toward sustainability

Dear Steven,

Thank you for this announcement. Is it possible to see this issue of your journal as a webpage? Such large files are slow to download here with the weak internet of Ecuador. It would also be excellent to include the table of contents in such announcements.

Congratulations on your important work.

Best wishes,
Chris Canaday
Conservation Biologist and EcoSan Promoter
Omaere Ethnobotanical Park
Puyo, Pastaza, Ecuador, South America
inodoroseco.blogspot.com

• mwaniki
    Topic Author

Hi everyone,

Welcome to the latest edition of the Africa Water, Sanitation & Hygiene this is the Sept-Oct 2013 Vol.8 No.4.

You may view this edition via this link afriwater.org/publications

Comments are welcome.

Kind regards

Steven Mwaniki

• mwaniki
    Topic Author

Re: Africa Water, Sanitation & Hygiene Magazine June 2013 Vol 8 No.3

Dear All

Welcome to the Africa Water, Sanitation & Hygiene Magazine June 2013 Vol 8 No.3.This issue is in focus of sanitation and hygiene.

We wish to thank USAID - Sustainable Water & Sanitation for Africa (SUWASA) for their support in making the production of this issue possible.We also have the private sector's support and assistance highly appreciated.

Please download the latest edition from the publication's page www.afriwater.org/publications .

Kind regards

Mwaniki
Publisher

• mwaniki
    Topic Author

Re: Africa Water,Sanitation & Hygiene Mar-Apr 2013 Vol 8 No.2

Dear All

We welcome you to another edition of the Africa Water,Sanitation & Hygiene.This edition is the March-April 2013 issue but is obviously late due to some technical issues and other related challenges.We honestly apologize for that.

We kindly request for suggestions in order to diversify the content and also advertise your products and services.The hard copy is distributed free of charge and we need to defray design, printing expenses,distribution and running costs.

Please download the latest publication on www.afriwater.org/publications

Kind regards

Steven Mwaniki

• mwaniki
    Topic Author

Magazine: Africa Water, Sanitation & Hygiene in 2013

Dear All,

Welcome to the Africa Water,Sanitation & Hygiene Jan-Feb 2013 Vol.8 No.1 edition.

January was a short month and December being a holiday period, we had a very limited time am afraid to say to compile this current edition.But the most difficult task was to find support to meet publishing costs. Thanks to Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) Kenya among others without whose assistance the production of this edition would not have been possible.

As always, we will strive to bring out the next edition (Mar-Apr 2013) early enough for the World Water Day 2013 to be observed on March 22.

But as you may be aware, this is a free publication,a not for profit project and as such, we kindly urge you to support us by advertising your products and services in order that we may share printing and other recurring costs such as design expenses,editorial,webdesign & updates,distribution costs for the print edition etc.You may contact the publisher at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

We are committed to create awareness in water,sanitation & hygiene in this part of the world and elsewhere for the realization of the Millennium Development Goals target 7.C on environmental sustainability. Halve by 2015, the proportion without sustainable access to safe drinking water and basic sanitation.

You may access the latest publication via this link www.afriwater.org/publications

Steven Mwaniki
Publisher

Quoted

“When I was visiting Darfur in 2000 people became violent and I was threatened. When they came towards me, I said I am here to bring you water. The entire violent crowd became quiet. Water is life; that is what I have been saying all the time.”

Hon.Ban Ki-moon .The eighth and current Secretary-General of the United Nations

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds