Update to the Compendium of Accessible WASH Technologies

Page selection:
  • abhakta
  • Co-lead, leave no one behind theme at the Rural Water Supply Network. Freelance WASH consultant.

Re: Update to the Compendium of Accessible WASH Technologies

Dear Elisabeth,

Since this was posted we (I, Louisa Gosling and Priya Nath) have completed the survey. It was very interesting to see a large volume of replies and we are still analysing the results. As I'm a freelance consultant working independently with, but not a member of staff at WaterAid, I do not have the download data myself, but Louisa and Priya would. The feedback suggests it is a well used document. We will be in touch with potential collaborators once the data has been analysed in more depth and we have determined a way forward together.

Best wishes,
Amita
The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Amita,

The document that you are seeking to update is from six years ago. I am wondering what WaterAid's current thoughts are, i.e. which parts of it are perhaps outdated? Which new technologies or trends ought to be included?

I have copied the questions from your survey below which might encourage some people to take your survey, or to post their ideas here:

+++++++++
1. Please state your name, position/organisation, country and email

2. Have you seen or used the Compendium of Accessible Technologies before?
If yes, please specify what for:
If no, why not?

3. Do you think that the Compendium of Accessible Technologies could be improved or updated?

The following questions are open ended, and welcome the feedback of participants for comments on the Compendium of Accessible Technologies

4. What was most useful about the Compendium, and what is missing from this that would be useful for you?

5. How could the contents, for example the technologies that are included, be improved in a new edition of the Compendium of Accessible Technologies? Please provide examples of what could be included.

6. Is the physical shape of the Compendium book useful and user friendly? If not, how could it be improved?

7. Is the layout of the pages easy to follow, or does the layout need to change?

8. Would you like to contribute to or be consulted on an update of the Compendium of Accessible WASH Technologies?

9. Do you have any other comments about the Compendium?
+++++++

My opinion is that the compendium is a good document (I remember when it came out in 2014). In order to disseminate it more, it would be good if content and images from the compendium would be included in several relevant Wikipedia articles and the compendium cited.

Do you have any figures on download rates? Who are the main readers or target group?

We also have it in the SuSanA library here: www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/resource...library/details/3544

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• abhakta
  • Co-lead, leave no one behind theme at the Rural Water Supply Network. Freelance WASH consultant.

Dear Colleagues,

It is with pleasure that WaterAid would like to announce that we are seeking to update and/or expand the Compendium of Accessible WASH Technologies (available at this link: washmatters.wateraid.org/publications/co...le-wash-technologies ) which sets out accessible designs for household WASH facilities in a rural context.

Many people have difficulties using standard WASH facilities because of their age, disability, or other health conditions. Adaptations to standard designs can make a big difference to ease of access and use. The Compendium has been designed to help WASH practitioners discuss different accessible options directly with people concerned or with their carers. It aims to provide enough information to help households and local masons decide which adaptations will be most relevant, with approximate details of cost and complexity.

In developing a new version, we would value your feedback on how the Compendium could be updated, expanded and improved upon. We would like to hear from you on how a new version of the Compendium could be developed to help the WASH sector to progress in providing accessible WASH for all. We would very much appreciate your feedback through this survey: www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/HYTP3ZC

We look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
Amita

• Doreen

Re: Compendium of accessible WASH technologies

Dear All,

Thought I would share this with you.

WaterAid and WEDC developed an images-based compendium (photos, drawings and diagrams) for use at community level in rural sub-Saharan Africa.
The compendium provides information for households on how to make their latrines and other WASH facilities more accessible and user-friendly.

Free to download from: www.wateraid.org/~/media/Files/Global/co...ASH-technologies.pdf

This publication and all images in it are also free to download: www.inclusivewash.org.au/

Best regards,

Doreen
Doreen Mbalo

GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Programme
Policy Advisor in Bonn, Germany
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
E This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The following user(s) like this post: Roslyn

• F H Mughal
    Topic Author
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

Compendium of Accessible WASH Technologies - to improve the accessibility of household WASH facilities (WaterAid, WEDC, SHARE)

Three big names in water, sanitation and hygiene, WEDC, WaterAid and SHARE (Sanitation and Hygiene Applied Research for Equity), have developed a useful publication on WASH facilities for the disables. Authored by Hazel Jones and Jane Wilbur, 2014, the publication is titled: Compendium of accessible WASH technologies.

The compendium gives low-cost technologies, an aspect that is favorable for the poor developing countries, and is designed to make WASH facilities easily accessible to the disabled people. It can also be used by the aged people. The main focus of the publication is on the household facilities.

The most attractive aspect of the compendium is that, it gives high resolution pictures (provided the high resolution version is accessed), and attractive, colorful line diagrams, thus increasing the usefulness of the publication.

The compendium can be accessed at www.wateraid.org/accessibleWASHtechnologies

F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan
The following user(s) like this post: Roslyn

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds