In Memorium - Jeroen Ensink

Page selection:
  • F H Mughal
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

Re: In Memorium - Jeroen Ensink

Dear Jasmin,

That was nice on your part, and on part of the secretariat. Surprisingly, many of the above papers are about Pakistan. I'm happy to note that.

Regards,

F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • secretariat
  • SuSanA secretariat currently allocates 2 full time person equivalents of time from members of GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Team: Arne Panesar, Alexandra Dubois, Maren Heuvels, Teresa Häberlein, Daphne Manolakos and Bettina-Sophie Heinz.

Dear community,

The SuSanA secretariat would like to express its sincere condolences.

In response to Mughal’s request, we have collected a small selection of Jereon’s publications.

New concepts for on-site sanitation based on bio-additives and pit design
www.susana.org/en/resources/library/details/1743

Importance of Waste Stabilization Ponds and Wastewater Irrigation in the Generation of Vector Mosquitoes in Pakistan
onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.13...56.2002.00901.x/epdf

Wastewater quality and the risk of hookworm infection in Pakistani and Indian sewage farmers
www.researchgate.net/profile/Muhammad_Mu...915b8c2a49966787.pdf
www.hygienecentral.org.uk/pdf/jeroen_ensink_thesis_final.PDF

Salinity Implications of Wastewater Irrigation in the Musi River Catchment in India
cjsbs.sljol.info/articles/abstract/10.4038/cjsbs.v37i1.495/

Farmer driven wastewater treatment: A case study from Faisalabad, Pakistan
wedc.lboro.ac.uk/resources/conference/32/Clemett.pdf

Estimating the Potential Impact of Sanitary Child Stool Disposal
r4d.dfid.gov.uk/pdf/outputs/sanitation/P...posal_April_2015.pdf

Wastewater Use in Pakistan: The Cases of Haroonabad and Faisalabad
ageconsearch.umn.edu/bitstream/139075/2/...culture.pdf#page=104

Best,
Jasmin (on behalf of the SuSanA Secretariat)
Posted by a member of the SuSanA secretariat held by the GIZ Sector Program Water Policy – Innovations for Resilience
Located at Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Bonn, Germany
Follow us on facebook: www.facebook.com/susana.org, linkedin: www.linkedin.com/company/sustainable-sanitation-alliance-susana and twitter: twitter.com/susana_org

• F H Mughal
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

I'm also shocked to learn about the senseless killing. It is so sad. His name is familiar to me.

As a tribute to him, will it be possible for the secretariat to make available the publications by Jeroan Ensink, on this forum?

F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

• arno
    Topic Author
  • Senior Research Fellow Stockholm Environment Institute

Here is the official obituary for Jeroen by Martha Crowley from LSHTM.

blogs.lshtm.ac.uk/alumni/2016/01/05/obituary-dr-jeroen-ensink/

Arno Rosemarin PhD
Stockholm Environment Institute
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.sei.org
www.ecosanres.org
Attachments:

• dianamitlin

It is shocking. I got to know him through the SHARE programme. Jeroen was kind, thoughtful and insightful. My thoughts go out to his wife and family. It is an immense loss.

• jonpar
  • As part of the Engineering team, my role at IMC is to lead on the delivery of projects requiring specific expertise on urban sanitation (including excreta/waste/wastewater/stormwater management) focusing on technical, institutional and financial aspects in project design and implementation.

I too was so shocked to learn of the senseless killing of Jeroen and I am still reeling when I think about it. I cannot fathom how or why this could have happened. He was such a wonderful guy. I first met Jeroen about 20 years ago when we were both working in Pakistan. Always so warm and friendly as well as being a highly dedicated professional. He will be massively missed. I also find it hard to imagine how his wife can cope with her loss. My condolences to his family. Jonathan
Dr. Jonathan Parkinson
Principal Consultant – Water and Sanitation
IMC Worldwide Ltd, Redhill, United Kingdom
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• ggalli
  • PhD Candidate (Wageningen University) on Sanitation Governance in Gemena, DRC. Interested in governance, socio-technical approaches and politics of sanitation.

I was deeply shocked when reading this surreal story, and still am.
I met Jeroen a couple of times during my studies when he came to Wageningen University to provide guest lectures on the use of wastewater in irrigation, the topic of his PhD research. He was a great lecturer and very approachable for students who wanted to know more or explore thesis opportunities.
Last year on my way to the Faecal Sludge Management conference I ran into him and his wife again. I can't even begin to imagine what she is going through right now.
Giacomo Galli

• arno
    Topic Author
  • Senior Research Fellow Stockholm Environment Institute

In Memorium - Jeroen Ensink

In Memorium: Dr Jeroen Ensink, LSHTM

From www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/univ...london-a6792616.html

Professor Peter Piot, Director of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, said: "We are deeply shocked and saddened by the death of Jeroen Ensink."

"Jeroen was passionately committed to a simple cause: improving access to water and sanitation in countries where children continue to die needlessly due to the lack of these basic services."

Dr Ensink joined the school almost a decade ago, and at the time of his death he was leading a large study in the Democratic Republic of Congo to understand how improvements in water supply could control and prevent cholera outbreaks.

Prof Piot added: "He was a natural educator and immensely popular with students in whom he invested much time and energy; he provided support and inspiration in equal measure and many of his students are now successful researchers and public health professionals in their own right.”

"Jeroen will be greatly missed by all the staff and students who had the opportunity to know and work with him, and the legacy of his work will continue in Asia and Africa.”

"Our deepest condolences go to his family and friends."

We at SuSanA remember well Jeroen’s involvement in the Forum especially in one of our webinars in 2013 speaking about his work “On-site sanitation based on bio-additives and pit design”.*

The SuSanA Forum sends its condolences to Jeroen’s family and colleagues.

+++++++

* See here link to webinar in November 2013: forum.susana.org/forum/categories/139-gr...2013-number-1-4#6564

His presentation starts exactly here in the video:

See here link to description of the mentioned BMGF-funded research project which Jeroen was leading ("On-site sanitation based on bio-additives and pit design" (LSTH, UK and Tanzania, South Africa and Vietnam)):
forum.susana.org/forum/categories/105-pr...h-africa-and-vietnam
Arno Rosemarin PhD
Stockholm Environment Institute
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.sei.org
www.ecosanres.org

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds