Your input requested! Identifying mainstream sanitation approaches

Page selection:
  • CaitlinMcC
  • Topic Author

Re: Your input requested! Identifying mainstream sanitation approaches

Dear Elisabeth,

Very many thanks for taking the time to contribute. After some advice from other respondents about our framing/approach - which closely matches the points you make - we reviewed our approach and used more informal consultation with sector experts to define our list (I should have disabled the survey and will do so now). The good news is that our final list actually fits closely with the approaches you did not mark in red - which reconfirms the general consensus we have found about which are the most widespread approaches, and therefore those we are focusing on.

Many thanks again for your input and apologies about not taking the survey down before you took the time to complete it.

Caitlin

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Your input requested! Identifying mainstream sanitation approaches

Hi Caitlin,

I've just taken your survey. :-) It is nice and short (just one page) - easy!

However, I am quite confused about what you're looking for. I don't actually understand your starting sentence:

I’m designing a study to look at how different rural sanitation promotion approaches or models define and implement sustainability (as defined by SuSanA).

Could you please elaborate? I think none of the approaches that you listed have a particular emphasis on the broad definition of "sustainability" as used by SuSanA, or do they?
What is your definition of "sanitation promotion", is that the same as "sanitation marketing", and "behavior change"?

Also, I think it would help if for each of the approaches that you listed below, you provide one key website, Wikipedia page, definition or key document so that we can look up, and remind ourselves, what they are and in which regions they're popular.

For example, I knew rather little about those that I've marked in red below (which probably indicates that they're not that wide spread):
  • Support to Small Scale Independent Providers (SSSIP)
  • Community Health Clubs (CHC)
  • School-led Total Sanitation (SLTS)
  • Total Sanitation and Sanitation Marketing (TSSM)
  • Child Hygiene and Sanitation Training (CHAST)
  • Participatory Hygiene and Sanitation Training (PHAST)
  • Community-Led Total Sanitation (CLTS)
  • Child-to-Child (CtC)
  • SaniMarts
I am hoping that with this post, I can also encourage others to take a look at your survey and give you some feedback. Have you been getting quite a few survey takers and feedback so far?

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• CaitlinMcC
  • Topic Author

Your input requested! Identifying mainstream sanitation approaches

**EDIT: THIS SURVEY IS NOW CLOSED AND THE PROJECT IS UNDERWAY. PLEASE CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUERIES**

I’m designing a study to look at how different rural sanitation promotion approaches or models define and implement sustainability (as defined by SuSanA). I’m a Masters student in Rural Development and Natural Resource Management at SLU and recently joined SEI to contribute to the Sustainable Sanitation Initiative.

I’d like your help to identify the key approaches to focus on in order to narrow down my analysis.
I have identified a list of approaches from literature (see below). Based on your familiarity with contemporary rural sanitation policy and programmes, please go to www.surveymonkey.com/r/QH9GQTX or respond to this thread with your comments and suggestions to help me to identify the most mainstream or dominant approaches being used today.

For guidance, I am aiming for:
  • 4-6 approaches total to focus on
  • To include both community-based/participatory approaches and marketing-based approaches
  • The most mainstream and widely used approaches; i.e. not the approaches you think are best or most effective, but the ones that are most dominant, popular or receive a majority of funding
  • Approaches that may or may not include the use of EcoSan technologies
  • Suggestions of any dominant rural sanitation approaches I have missed

The list of approaches I have identified is:
  • Support to Small Scale Independent Providers (SSSIP)
  • Community Health Clubs (CHC)
  • School-led Total Sanitation (SLTS)
  • Total Sanitation and Sanitation Marketing (TSSM)
  • Child Hygiene and Sanitation Training (CHAST)
  • Participatory Hygiene and Sanitation Training (PHAST)
  • Community-Led Total Sanitation (CLTS)
  • Child-to-Child (CtC)
  • SaniMarts

The aim of my project is to identify gaps in order to contribute to improving how development partners incorporate different dimensions of sustainability into sanitation promotion.

Please go to www.surveymonkey.com/r/QH9GQTX to vote or leave your comments below.

Many thanks! Caitlin McCormack, Sustainable Sanitation Intern at SEI Stockholm

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds