Emergency sanitation in Japan - manhole toilets and toilets for wilderness races

• tamagawacraft
    Topic Author

Re: Emergency Sanitation - Can you contribute to the Wikipedia Article?

tamagawacraft wrote: Dear Carol
Japan was an anniversary of physical education on October 9th. Every year, a trail running race will be held this day. There were 2,600 athletes participating this year.
We operated all the toilets of the convention with 5 staff members. The number of people is concentrated more than the huge earthquake disaster. It was held at night as a 24-hour race.
300 ℓ urine was gathered, but I used REVERSER.
After the conclusion, I shed in a flush toilet. The two people finished in an hour's work.

The sewage system in urban areas of Japan has excellent purification facilities and is excellent. It is desirable to use manhole as a toilet even for disaster use.
In addition to the toilet, I think that it is necessary to have equipment to take out raw sewage from the plastic bag and wash away it.

Best regard
Shingo Suitsu

You need to login to reply
  • tamagawacraft
    Topic Author

tamagawacraft wrote: Dear Carol

Japan was an anniversary of physical education on October 9th. Every year, a trail running race will be held this day. There were 2,600 athletes participating this year.
We operated all the toilets of the convention with 5 staff members. The number of people is concentrated more than the huge earthquake disaster. It was held at night as a 24-hour race.
300 ℓ urine was gathered, but I used REVERSER.
After the conclusion, I shed in a flush toilet. The two people finished in an hour's work.

The sewage system in urban areas of Japan has excellent purification facilities and is excellent. It is desirable to use manhole as a toilet even for disaster use.
In addition to the toilet, I think that it is necessary to have equipment to take out raw sewage from the plastic bag and wash away it.

Best regard
Shingo Suitsu

• tamagawacraft
    Topic Author

In our country, if a huge disaster occurred, we had to prepare the toilet emergency every time.
For that reason, we developed a lot of simple toilets for disasters, but most disaster toilets were the development of the design of the part of the toilet on the ground, but that is not very important.
It's enough if you only have two boards.
More than that, the earthquake-proof structure of the underground part is very important for manhole toilets for disasters.
In short, the mechanism of sewage depends on the circumstances of various countries. Therefore, even if it is not a disaster, even if you bring TOTO's state-of-the-art washlet toilet, you will not be able to use it in all countries.
This time, I will introduce the demonstration that the sewerage department of Tokyo in Tokyo that I saw will explain the repair of a big sewer pipe in the event of a disaster.

The following user(s) like this post: Carol McCreary
  • Carol McCreary
  • I'm Program Manager at PHLUSH (Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human) www.phlush.org

Thanks, Shingo.

Tokyo's pipe repair technology is fascinating. Even better is the set up with the transparent pipe and the two manholes for the training demonstration. To help me understand better I will ask a neighbor from Japan to help out. Very interesting to watch.

I am interested in how sewer utilities and emergency managers do public outreach. I would hope that we have something similar on our side of the Pacific Rim, which is also preparing for a big quake. Is Japan exporting these advanced technologies or doing training with emergency teams internationally?

Thanks,
Carol

Carol McCreary
Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human (PHLUSH)
1240 W. Sims Way #59, Port Townsend, Washington 98368 USA

Toilet availability is a human right and well-designed sanitation systems restore health to our cities, our waters and our soils.
The following user(s) like this post: tamagawacraft
  • Carol McCreary
  • I'm Program Manager at PHLUSH (Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human) www.phlush.org

Thanks, Shingo.

Tokyo's pipe repair technology is fascinating. Even better is the set up with the transparent pipe and the two manholes for the training demonstration. To help me understand better I will ask a neighbor from Japan to help out. Very interesting to watch.

I am interested in how sewer utilities and emergency managers do public outreach. I would hope that we have something similar on our side of the Pacific Rim, which is also preparing for a big quake. Is Japan exporting these advanced technologies or doing training with emergency teams internationally?

Thanks,
Carol

Carol McCreary
Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human (PHLUSH)
1240 W. Sims Way #59, Port Townsend, Washington 98368 USA

Toilet availability is a human right and well-designed sanitation systems restore health to our cities, our waters and our soils.
Share this thread:
Time to create page: 0.552 seconds