Use of planning documents to guide the selection of sanitation technologies

Page selection:
  • JKMakowka
  • Just call me Kris :)

Re: Use of planning documents to guide the selection of sanitation technologies

Ok, I re-read your original questions and I guess no-one (Edit: except for Sophia) really answered if they know practical examples of the mentioned guides being used.

I know that the people involved with Sanitation21 and I think also CLUES did some research further refine their approaches and come up with a sanitation master-plan for Kampala last year. Dr. Jonathan Parkinson (a user of this forum) was behind that, but I think he has switched jobs since then.

But in my opinion those tools are largely just a very general guide and (cynically speaking) often their main benefit seems to guide the creation of nice, way to detailed "top-down" government plans that then end up sitting on a shelf.

Good "Master-plans" in sanitation are out of necessity very broad and should rather focus on creating a favorable (business) environment for a multitude of coexisting options and approaches.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • JKMakowka

anaritaramoa wrote: Dear Makowka,
You said in your previous comment that you don't think sanitation technology selection is really a problem in most cases. May I ask you in which cases do you think it is actually a problem in developing contexts?

So you are asking me which usage cases there are for a sanitation DSS? i.e. the non-"most cases" situations?
That is obviously a bit difficult to answer as I don't know each and every situation that might come up where "contrary to most cases" a sanitation DSS can really help.

It might give you a "out-side evidence" to convince some policy maker of trying something else than flush-toilets or it might help in situations were local (government/NGO) staff is really low-skilled due to a prevailing bad security situation (e.g. all skilled persons have left and you can't convince people to go there for a techology assessment either). Or it might be a useful training tool for people to learn about options and were they are appropriate.
But as you can see, all those speculated cases are rather uncommon and the main benefit isn't the actual "decision support".

Sanitation technology isn't some complex system that needs modeling or scenario-building to come to a good decision. Thus I don't see much use in a DSS for it (and as you can see above there are plenty of simple options/guide-books available already).

Obviously the broader picture of getting people to actually use sanitation systems in a sustainable and healthy way that also protects the environment is everything but simple. Technology choice itself is only a small piece of that however.

• ben
  • Water and sanitation engineer

Dear all,

Just to share one more :
www.sanitationmarketing.com/step-3-product-design#.UysbU_l5NzZ

The approach in sanitation marketing is slightly different cause it focuses a lot in the appealance of the product, which will very much influence the sales of sanitation products.

For me, this forum has always been much more usefull than any publication or planning process to gather technology advices.

They talk in this paper about the Human Centered Design process (www.hcdconnect.org/toolkit/en) which to be honnest is a lot of communication for little usefull tools.

Good luck in your research !

Ben

• anaritaramoa
    Topic Author

Dear Sophia, Mughal and Makowka,
Thanks for sharing the documents!

Dear Makowka,
You said in your previous comment that you don't think sanitation technology selection is really a problem in most cases. May I ask you in which cases do you think it is actually a problem in developing contexts?

Dear Christophe Muanda,
We will be in contact. Sophia Pan, who is also doing her PhD and has written in this topic, may be also of interest to you ;)

Best regards,
Ana Rita Ramôa

• JKMakowka

Please see attached documents for something that is already very close to what you are looking for.

This message has attachments files.
Please log in or register to see it.

• AquaVerde
  • "simple" Sanitation-Solutions by gravity

forum.susana.org/forum/categories/39-any...land-bonaire-nl#6921

JKMakowka, unfortunately you are right on this issue...
For proper sanitation money is more them enough available and know-how too, but not enough willingness & stand to do so, by people in charge and confidants!

"Money makes greed, and greed devours the brain"

Regards,
Detlef
www.aqua-verde.de
"simple" Sanitation-Solutions by gravity
Low-Tech Solutions with High-Tech Effects
"Inspired by Circular Economy and Cooperation"
www.flickr.com/photos/aqua-verde/

• muandac

Dear,

I'm working in this field and currently doing my PhD on sanitation governance. I think we can exchange information in due course. Elisabeth can provide you with my email and we can discuss and exchange documentation and experience.

Regards

Christophe Muanda

+++++++

Note by moderator (EvM): all forum members can send each other short e-mail messages by clicking on the "contact" button to the left of the person's post.
Christophe Muanda
Researcher & Lecturer
Centre for Water and Sanitation Research
Cape Peninsula University of Technology
Cape Town, South Africa
Telephone: +27219596813
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• JKMakowka

Might also be interesting:
www.washtechnologies.net/

Although I have to be honest: I don't think sanitation technology selection is really a problem in most cases.
The following user(s) like this post: AquaVerde

• F H Mughal
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

Some more publications ....

F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

The following user(s) like this post: anaritaramoa

• F H Mughal
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

Dear Ana,

Please have a look at the attached publications.

Thank you,

F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

• sphpan
  • WASH Researcher/Consultant

Hi Ana Rita,

Side note: Did you attend the IWA Water and Sanitation for Developing Countries conference in Nairobi last October by chance? Your name sounds familiar.

Have you read the paper by Sherpa, Luthi and Kootatep "Applying the Household-Centred Environmental Sanitation planning approach: a case study from Nepal"? I think CLUES evolved from HCES and work that was done in Nepal and elsewhere so it may be a helpful reference. The corresponding author is Mingma Gyalzen Sherpa This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Sorry, I would share the actual file, but I'm not sure how the whole journal copyright thing works for an online forum.

~Sophia
Sophia Pan

"Another world is possible... on a quiet day I can hear her breathing."
~Arundhati Roy

• anaritaramoa
    Topic Author

Use of planning documents to guide the selection of sanitation technologies

Dear Susana Forum members,

I am a PhD student at the University of Lisbon, Portugal. My thesis focuses on the development of a decision support methodology for improving sanitation services in peri-urban areas of developing countries.

As a first phase of my research, I am analyzing how particular elements, such as water-related sectors, sustainability dimensions or different segments of the sanitation supply-chain are considered when selecting sanitation technologies in developing contexts.

I have already analysed the level of guidance provided by some planning documents in the sector in what concerns the incorporation of those elements in sanitation technology decision-making. Now I would like to further compare planning documents with existing practices in the field.

I wonder if anyone could suggest me cases of application or persons who have used the following documents as a guide for the selection of sanitation technologies:

-Sanitation 21 (IWA);
-Principles of town water supply and sanitation. Part 2: Sanitation (World Bank, 2007);
-Technology Option for Urban Sanitation in India (Water and Sanitation Program, 2008);
-Community-Led Urban Environmental Sanitation Planning: CLUES (Eawag-Sandec, 2011);
-How to develop a concerted municipal strategy (CMS) for water and sanitation (pS-Eau, 2012).

Thanks a lot.
Ana Rita Ramôa

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds