WG1 Factsheet Update

39.7k views

Page selection:
  • dorothee.spuhler
    Topic Author
  • Developing methods and tools to support strategic planning for sustainable sanitation. Particular interested in novel technologies contributing to more inclusive and circular sanitation. Co-Lead of WG1

Re: WG1 Factsheet Update

Many thanks Evans! I have considered your corrections.
Dorothee
WG1 Co-lead
Developing methods and tools to support strategic planning for sustainable sanitation. Particular interested in novel technologies contributing to more inclusive and circular sanitation. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • envaros
  • 'I'm an Environmental Engineer'

Dear Dorothee,

Kindly refer to the attachment for comments.

Thank you.

Regards,
Evans Tembo
Lecturer - Environmental Health
Ministry of Health
Chainama College of Health Sciences
Box 33991
Lusaka, Zambia

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• dorothee.spuhler
    Topic Author
  • Developing methods and tools to support strategic planning for sustainable sanitation. Particular interested in novel technologies contributing to more inclusive and circular sanitation. Co-Lead of WG1

Dear all

As communicated previously, the SuSanA secretariat is currently planning to publish a book that comprises of all the 13 thematic SuSanA factsheets including our working group 01 factsheet on capacity development. A first draft version of the book that has been prepared for the Stockholm meeting in August 2011 can be found here: www.susana.org/lang-en/library?view=ccbktypeitem&type=2&id=1229.

The past weeks we have been working hard to prepare our factsheet on capacity development for sustainable sanitation.
As announced previously, I send you herewith the draft of the final draft for last comments until the 28th of October. The 1st of November, the final version will be sent around for approval.
Please note that
- the document will be arranged in the official SuSanA factsheet layout for the final version
- it is still too long, and you should think twice before adding additional information or at the same time delete parts that you consider not relevant
Content
About 35% of the factsheets contains the main text: Key messages; Background; Capacity development; Needs; Strategies and Instruments.
Then follow about 55% of examples, information on initiatives from you and your conatct details. We do not have a general capacity development strategy for SuSanA or WG 01. That's why we decided to keep the previous form of the factsheet and focus on some examples for inspiration.
At the end, there are the references and contact details of authors as well as the acknowledgements – check if you are there and shouldn’t or if you are not there but should be there…

I am looking forward to your timely feedback

All the best
Dorothee

This attachment is hidden for guests.
WG1 Co-lead
Developing methods and tools to support strategic planning for sustainable sanitation. Particular interested in novel technologies contributing to more inclusive and circular sanitation. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

This message has attachments files.

• envaros
  • 'I'm an Environmental Engineer'

Hi,

I will be sending my comments by this coming weekend!!

Regards,
Evans Tembo
Lecturer - Environmental Health
Ministry of Health (Chainama College)
Lusaka, Zambia

• westonechibale

I shall take some time to edit and make contributions to this Factssheet.

Regards,
Westone
Westone Chibale

• dorothee.spuhler
    Topic Author

Dear all,

Please find attached a first attempt of a new version of the WG1 factsheet (capacity development for sustainable sanitation).
I would like to thank all the people that have contributed to this draft – especially Carol and Philipp, which did a great job editing the whole text.

The structure has been slightly changed. However, it still contains much of old text blocks in the respective chapters. Sometimes the paragraphs have been shortened; sometimes they have been completed with more explications.

Please note that the current doc version is just a working document, which is not yet layouted and formatted in order to allow for easy changes and editing in track change modus.

Completely new is the list of key messages at the beginning of the document. I think it is very important that we agree on these.
The first part of the documents, gives some background information on capacity development, and tries to illustrate why capacity development has to expand horizontally with new approaches and vertically among levels.
There is also a section listing some key strategies for capacity development specific for sustainable sanitation. Your feedbacks for this section would be the most welcome!
At the end of the document, there is a list of examples of capacity development initiatives from SuSanA partners. This list is structures according to the type of tool for capacity development. It has been suggested to structure it according to the different horizontal levels (individual, organizational and enabling environment) – but this turned out to be quite impossible as many initiatives target the different levels at the same time. However, your support to complete and update this list is also needed!

We do not have a lot of time, but some time left (remember we would like to print the SuSanA Factsheet book in the beginning of November).
Next steps are:
3) Feedback on first draft -> until 18th of October
4) Compilation of new version -> until 22nd
5) Opinions on new version from WG -> until 27th of October
6) Final version -> 1st of November
7) Approval by WG -> following days

I would like to encourage all of you to have a closer look at the current draft and provide your feedback focussingon the following:
- Key messages
- Strategies for capacity development in sustainable sanitation
- Examples of capacity development in sustainable sanitation
Keep in mind that we should rather shorten the document, then to expand it. If we doubt on a paragraph, we should not hesitate to delete it.

Thank you very much in advance and looking forward to your timely feedback!

Best regards

Dorothee
WG1 Co-lead

This message has an attachment file.

• dorothee.spuhler
    Topic Author

Dear all,

There is an interest in having a WG1 meeting during the 1st Global Forum on Sanitation and Hygiene in Mumbai, India, from 9th to 14th October 2011.
This meeting could be organised as a workshop for reviewing the factsheet of WG1.
Personally I will not be there, but the secretariat could help arranging the meeting and I could support you to plan/structure/evaluate the workshop.
Following persons would be interested to join:
Confirmed:
- Ceclia Ruben
- Amin Chowdhury
- Udyama Pradeep
- Afolabi Bakare
Not confirmed:
- Evans Tembo
- Kalala Karumba
- Kabatabazi Patricia
-  Ajaz Akhtar
- A.M.Niwagaba
- Inaobi Sagolsem
- Vijay Pagare

Please let us know if you would like to join as well!
We will publish further news here!

Best

Dorothee
WG1 Co-lead

• dorothee.spuhler
    Topic Author

Dear Esdras,

Many thanks for your feedback!

I do agree that
- capacity development should be adapted to the local/regional conditions
- the members of a community themselves should e strongly involved
But to capacitate people means to also to help them having the right informations to take good decisions. For instance from a technical point of view (e.g. choice of toilet) the community should have a overview on all available solutions and the capacity to assess together the disadvantages and advantages of each solution in order to choose the best for their case. In your case of a high water table, the community can learn and decide themselves, that a technical solution with a high risk for failure in areas with high groundwater table would not be adapted.
Do you agree that I note the two bullet points above down for the review?

I like a lot your idea of organising regional SuSanA meeting. It would be a pleasure if you could assess the interest from your colleagues in Rwanda and keep us updated here!

Best regards

Dorothee
WG1 Co-lead

• Esdras NGEZAHAYO

Dear Dorothee and all WG1 family,
I am Esdras NGEZAHAYO, a civil and environmental engineer, I have highly liked the idea that capacity development should not be imported but prepared and developed on the ground of application just to meet all socio-economic-environment
,reality of the terrain. Even in the same country, capacity development may be prepared and enforced differently according to different areas of that country.

As small experience from my country (RWANDA), I am coming from the southern province but this is my third month working in the northern province as a WASH intern within SNV, on "hygiene promotion project in rural communities, schools and health centers". The north of my country is a volcanic region with land slidings, high water table, less civilised people...... in which the history of toilet is less than 15years old and you cannot dig the toilet deeper than 2.5m! Whereas it is totally the opposite in the south. So, the capacity development for the two areas in terms of sustainable sanitation should not be the same for the two areas of the same country!

The other thing that I liked is that you contribute to the capacity development of SuSanA members by helping them doing their Masters or following other trainings in sustainable sanitation related fields. I think this is an opportunity to get these chances.
An other idea that I have got is to ask wether members of SUSANA in the same country cannot meet may be once in three months and discuss the SUSANA actuality.If this can be fruitful you will let me know and by there I will call my colleagues in Rwanda to react on the idea.
Kind regards.
The following user(s) like this post: Carol McCreary

• dorothee.spuhler
    Topic Author

Hi Philipp and all,

Here my opinion to your comments:

1) I do agree, maybe the example of the SuSanA homepage was not that good: I think we could have some paragraphs (not chapters) describing the different target groups of capacity development for sustainable sanitation (and not of the factsheet...!) to describe why it is important to address them and how

2 and 3) This is an old "to do" of our working group I think: mapping of existing trainings and tools available. But as you mentioned, it is (i) extremely difficult to get this information (ii) even more difficult to keep it up to date. Personally, I do not feel the section on the SuSanA homepage very useful, the giz pdf list is more useful to me (can't find the URL right now - you have it?). We could imagine to have kind of a similar table on the webpage, where we can search the different fields:
- 'title'
- 'target group'
- 'venue/country', 'costs'
- 'partner that implements the training and contacts'
- 'date of last update of this information'
etc. ? What do you think? Once we set up the table, we could try to send out emails again and step by step start to fill it in?
For the WG1 factsheet: I would suggest to describe the different tools and give some examples and then refer to the webpage...

Best Dorothee
WG1 Co-lead

• Carol McCreary
  • I'm a volunteer at PHLUSH (Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human) www.phlush.org

Thanks, Dorothee for the link I forgot to add!
Carol McCreary
Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human (PHLUSH)
1240 W. Sims Way #59, Port Townsend, Washington 98368 USA

Toilet availability is a human right and well-designed sanitation systems restore health to our cities, our waters and our soils.

• dorothee.spuhler
    Topic Author

Here the link for the article mentioned by Carol:
www.trust.org/alertnet/blogs/the-debatin...-talk-in-sanitation/
WG1 Co-lead
The following user(s) like this post: Carol McCreary

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds