PhD programmes related to Sanitation in Europe, the USA or elsewhere

14.7k views

Page selection:
  • AnanyaGh
  • Shit-talks interests me most as I possess the Learner's brain

Re: Water and sanitation courses at US universities

Hi Elisabeth!

Thanks a lot for the information! Its great to be part of the forum, to discover, re-discover and dig-in to the pile of information present here!

Thanks for all the support.

Cheers,

- Ananya
Wash-in-Schools
'Learner'
:)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Anyana,

This question pops up regularly on the forum and we already listed some places in the past. Therefore, I have moved your post into this thread here, and if you scrol up you will find previous information on exactly this question.

Hope this is useful. In the past, we mainly spoke about PhDs in European universities but most likely the US universities that offer courses and MScs in WASH also offer PhD topics in this field (see here: forum.susana.org/forum/categories/54-wg-...s-at-us-universities).

Furthermore, if you look at the list of Gates Foundation funded research projects in sanitation, you will find many universities who are offering PhDs in this field (these are mainly for PhDs in technical areas of sanitation):
www.susana.org/lang-en/research/funded-b...nda-gates-foundation
E.g. if I remember right, the University of KwaZulu Natal in South Africa was looking for PhD candidates recently (oh, actually it was only MEng, see here: forum.susana.org/forum/categories/20-job...nda-gates-foundation).

In the category "jobs and internships" you also find some universities who have advertised PhD, MSc and Postdoc positions in the past:
forum.susana.org/forum/categories/20-job...internships-on-offer

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
The following user(s) like this post: AnanyaGh

• AnanyaGh
  • Shit-talks interests me most as I possess the Learner's brain

Hi Everyone,

I would like to know if anyone has any information about PhD courses on WASH on any one the US or European Universities. Please let me know in case there are and the relevant Departments present in the Universities, so that, I can get in touch and find out.

Thanks,

-Ananya
Wash-in-Schools
'Learner'
:)

• CeciliaRodrigues

Re: Fellowships available for Brazilian PhD and Postdoc Researchers at UNESCO-IHE

Thank you, Mariska!
The link you posted is not working, here is the working one:
resultado.cnpq.br/2637730665581003
I also attached the call for proposals.

Best regards,
Cecilia.
Programme Officer at GIZ - Sustainable Sanitation Programme
and the SuSanA Secretariat

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• MRonteltap
  • Lecturer Sanitary Engineering teaching in SuSan at UNESCO-IHE

Re: Fellowships available for Brazilian PhD and Postdoc Researchers at UNESCO-IHE

Dear Colleagues,

Our partner UNESCO Cat II institution in Brazil, HidroEX, in cooperation with the Brazilian National Council for Scientific and Technical Development, is offering a large number of PhD and Postdoctoral fellowships for Brazilian to come and do research at UNESCO-IHE. In total there are 30 postdoc fellowships, 15 sandwich PhD fellowships, and 5 full PhD fellowships. Details (in Portuguese) are available at resultado.cnpq.br/2637730665581003. The deadline for applications is 3 May!

We are working to get the word out about the opportunity by various means. If you have any colleagues or past students from Brazil who you think would be interested and qualified, please share this information with them as soon as possible.

I do not have much more information about the opportunity, but feel free to write if you have questions.

Best regards,
Mariska Ronteltap, UNESCO-IHE.

• CeciliaRodrigues

Re: PhD programmes related to Sanitation

Dear all,

There is also the postgraduate professional diploma (PPD) in sanitation and sanitary engineering courses offered by UNESCO-IHE (online and Delft-based).

Here you can see the courses offered: www.susana.org/images/documents/nl44/giz...ring-Description.pdf

I am attaching a pdf with feedback from students on one of its online modules on ecological sanitation.

All the best,
Cecília.

This attachment is hidden for guests.
Programme Officer at GIZ - Sustainable Sanitation Programme
and the SuSanA Secretariat

This message has an attachment file.

The following user(s) like this post: awaisarifeen, Doreen, cecile

• Otterpohl

Re: Master Thesis Doctorates Internships

Dear Elmer,

I also hope to continue with our co-operation with the Philippines, such a great country! We now have Daniel doing the Masters in Environmental Engineering, more people will be welcome.

Ralf

• Elmersayre
  • I am an avid sanitation promoter, gardener, small-time farmer and local educator

This is great. Hope bright students coming from the Philippines will be interested...DAAD is active in the country...
Elmer Sayre
Water, Agroforestry, Nutrition and Development Fdn.
Libertad, Misamis Oriental
9021 Philippines
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Otterpohl

Dear All,

At the Institute of Wastewater Management at Hamburg University of Technology (www.tuhh.de/aww) we have worked with more that 100 person years on topics around Ecosan. We can host Mater Thesis work with us in the beautiful City of Hamburg or/and with partners eg in Ethiopia, Philippines, Indonesia, Senegal and others.

It is also possibe to go for a doctorate in this field with us, requirements are in www.tuhh.de and in addition you need to find funding (eg DAAD). An excellent grade in an appropriate topic is a must.

Internships ar e possible as well, funding will normally have to be organised from your side. Early application will make this feasible, last minute impossible.

We work on low cost systems with a new focus on Terra Preta Sanitation and on high tech eg with a clöosed loop system where toilets are flushed with the separated toilet wastewater after treatment.

Please see your website for more info. See our video series, too:

Kind regards

Ralf
The following user(s) like this post: dorothee.spuhler, Doreen

• awaisarifeen
  • Topic Author

Re: PhD programmes related to Sanitation in Germany, Austria or France

Thank you very much Elisabeth for your reply. It is very helpful.

Regards,

Awais

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: PhD programmes related to Sanitation in Germany, Austria or France

Well there are lots of suitable universities in Germany, some in Austria, but I don't know of any in France (off the top of my head).
In Germany try e.g. Dresden, Weimar, Stuttgart, Hamburg (TUHH), Kassel, Darmstadt, Cottbus, Suderburg/Lübeck (?)
In Austria e.g. BOKU (Vienna)

See also this list of ecosan courses which we compiled a year ago and which will also give you hints of universities in this area:
www.giz.de/Themen/en/dokumente/gtz2010-e...t-ecosan-courses.pdf

And please also look at the lists in the factsheet of working group 1 (capacity development) of SuSanA, you can find it here in this factsheet compilation:
www.susana.org/lang-en/library?view=ccbktypeitem&type=2&id=1229

Or see the pdf file of the factsheet on its own:
www.susana.org/lang-en/library/rm-susana...peitem&type=2&id=167

Good luck!

Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
The following user(s) like this post: Doreen

• awaisarifeen
  • Topic Author

PhD programmes related to Sanitation in Europe, the USA or elsewhere

Dear All,

Can any one of you provide me information about any University, Graduate programme or Contact person for PhD studies related to Sanitation in either Germany, Austria or France?

I have applied for funding for PhD studies and need to get admission letter from universities from above mentioned countries for final approval of funding.

Awais Arifeen

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds