Waste to Energy Technical and Financial Analysis, India

16.9k views

Page selection:
  • sivajyothi82

Re: Waste to Energy Technical and Financial Analysis, India

Mr.sunil sharma,

I am from Hyderabad and I am in giving solution for wet waste management and I am from sintex where you can get bio gas plant of 0.5 cu m till 6 cubic metre. All over india we are in providing solutions. if you are looking for one kindly do contact me and write to me This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. , can contact me on 9441725388.

This message has attachments files.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • suniliitian
    Topic Author

Dear Kevinjoan,

Please share the link where these files are uploaded. I would also like to know your interest and work in municipal waste disposal. You can alternatively write to my email id - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Regards,
Sunil
Sunil Kumar Sharma
Senior Manager
Sustainable Urban Development

Emergent Ventures (EVI)
5th Floor, Universal Trade Tower, Sector 49,Gurgaon-122018
Board line : +91 124 6653155, Mob : +91 9910014388

• suniliitian
    Topic Author

Dear Detlef,

Yes, ofcourse. Investment in such projects will address the sanitation problem which is a big challenge in many Indian cities and also result in profits.

In recent past, the real estate sector has witness a boom due to urbanization. A number of housing complexes have come in last few years in cities like Gurgaon, Pune, Bangalore, Hyderabad etc. The growth in real estate has also created a demand for safe water and sanitation. But it's tough task for government to provide infrastructure at the same pace of growth. Hence providing an in-situ solution/decentralized solution will certainly address this issue.

We are comfortable in using SI standard. This (cft) unit, i had taken from reference. :)

Regards,
Sunil
Sunil Kumar Sharma
Senior Manager

Emergent Ventures (EVI)

• AquaVerde
  • "simple" Sanitation-Solutions by gravity

Dear Sunil,

Thanks.
Your much more conservative total power generation 250,000 kWh/a, if 1,000 flats are part of a water based AD-sanitation system, should be a good additional investment/profit opportunity or pointer to many housing developers in India and other places!?

Do you using in India still old British IMPERIAL systems like [cft] to my surprise?

Regards,
Detlef
www.aqua-verde.de
"simple" Sanitation-Solutions by gravity
Low-Tech Solutions with High-Tech Effects
"Inspired by Circular Economy and Cooperation"
www.flickr.com/photos/aqua-verde/

• suniliitian
    Topic Author

Dear Schwager,

I agree that there is revenue generation potential by making use of chemical energy content of waster water/FS also.

My model is based on biogas generation from FS. This biogas can be used for thermal energy generation (heating, cooking etc), power generation, transportation (after enriching methane content) as well.

Please find below my estimates for power generation from 1000 flats:-
Biogas generation potetial = 1 cft/person/day

(Source: Dr. P.K.Jha, Consultant, Handbook on Technical Options for on-Site Sanitation, February 2012, pg 24)

Hence for 1000 flats of 4 member occupants per flat, the biogas generation potential is
= 1000 X 4 X 365 X 1 X 0.3048^3 = 41342 Nm3/year

Considering a power generation potential of 6 kwh/Nm3 (65% methane by volume in biogas)

The total power generation is = 250,000 kwh/year

But I agree that the power generation potential depends on methane concentration in biogas. By fixing these numbers, we can have a fare estimate on power generation potential.

Referring to your next point:- Technical parameters are more or less common with other demography. But the financial parameters are specific to Indian condition.

Regards,
Sunil
Sunil Kumar Sharma
Senior Manager

Emergent Ventures (EVI)
The following user(s) like this post: AquaVerde

• suniliitian
    Topic Author

Dear Sampark,

I appreciate your initiative. This indeed has good potential. Please let me know how can I support your activity. Please drop an email.

Regards,
Sunil
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Sunil Kumar Sharma
Senior Manager

Emergent Ventures (EVI)

• AquaVerde

Dear Sunil,
Thanks.

As you dealing with AD-system too, I see additional to mentioned water-revenues great opportunities to make revenues by making use of chemical energy content in waste water/FS.

See my rough calculation as an "outsider" based on 1.000 flats : forum.susana.org/forum/categories/35-bio...mit=12&start=12#6658

Would you agree on the mentioned figures?

Although you stated, all is based on typical Indian condition, in my educated guessing this conditions are very representative to too many places on earth.

Regards,
Detlef SCHWAGER
www.aqua-verde.de

• sampark
  • Reaching out in grassrouts.Premananda Biswal, Executive Director, SAMPARK TRUST, Bhubaneswar, Odisha would introduce myself, before you as a grass root level Rural & Health development associate for a period spanning over 26 years contributed in the field

Dear Sunil,
I am from Odisha, India. we are going to start a "waste to wealth project" in Bhubaneswar. We will deal wet waste & paper waste of different offices to wealth. We started it as a pilot project with a them "Reduce, Recycle & Reuse". It will work to provide sustainable livelihood to rag pickers of the local community.

Could you support us in our activity....?
Premananda Biswal.
Executive Director.
SAMPARK TRUST
B-30, BDA Duplex
Bhubaneswar
Odisha, INDIA

• suniliitian
    Topic Author

Dear Schwager,

Sources of fresh excreta are generally scatters and hence procurement of FS from scattered sources is a big challenge. This results in higher cost of collection.

A strategy as mentioned in the report can be used to overcome such challenges. In India, various housing complexes are coming up in metro cities. These housing complexes have more than 1000 houses in one complex. These complexes can be a good source of fresh excreta as well as waste water. Water can be a good source of revenue once it is treated. There is a market for treated waste water in India - mainly in construction sector (building).

You may drop a mail to my email id regarding the financial tool.

Regards,
Sunil
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Sunil Kumar Sharma
Senior Manager

Emergent Ventures (EVI)

• suniliitian
    Topic Author

Dear Elisabeth,

Thanks for uploading all these files to Susana library. The state of play report (SOPR) and rapid market assessment (RMA) report can provide a better understanding of present status of sanitation and market potential of waste to energy products in India.

There is indeed a big opportunity lying there for faecal sludge management in India. This can result in profitable business provided a good support and coordination from all sectors. But creating an awareness among all stakeholders will be a trigger point. But realization of this opportunity is a big challenge due to problems in procurement of FS from source and various other barriers associated with pre-processing of FS.

In the subsequent studies (technical and financial analysis reports), various pre-processing needs have been identified for making FS suitable for identified processing options. The potential/yield of resource recovery from FS has also identified for each processing options.

A plug and play tool was developed for complete value chain (from FS procurement to output generation) for calculation of levelized cost of output generated from various processing options. This levelized cost can be compared with market price of output to check the financial viability of any processing option. This tool can be used by project developers, Municipal Corporations for identification of technologies.

At present we are supporting an Indian agency to develop DSS system for sanitation in India. We have also shared our work with GIZ.

This work gave us an opportunity to evaluate various processing options, interact with various stakeholders (project developers, city head, policy makers, technology suppliers), understand of waste to energy market in India etc. We are sharing those learning through this forum.

We will be happy to support if any agency interested in similar kind of work.

Regards,
Sunil
Sunil Kumar Sharma
Senior Manager

Emergent Ventures (EVI)

• AquaVerde

Dear Mr. Sharma,

Thanks for sharing results.

I found in document no. 2 made Conclusion (page 28) of AD-Analysis much as expected for water based systems:

6. In India, there are many unauthorized colonies where construction of individual septic tanks is not feasible due to lack of space in households. In these cases, a centrally located biogas plant can be constructed connected to each household through internal piping network. This will give access to fresh excreta from houses on continuous basis. As estimated 7000 people would be required for a 200 cu. m biogas plant per day. This requirement can be fulfilled by connecting roughly 1500 households (assuming 4-5 members in each family).
7. Anaerobic digestion is relatively simple technology compared to the other technologies such as gasification or pyrolysis for FS to energy conversion.

Is it possible to share and try mentioned Excel with all of us?

Best Regards,
Detlef SCHWAGER
www.aqua-verde.de

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Sunil,

thanks for making these reports available.
I have now uploaded them to the SuSanA library as well:
www.susana.org/lang-en/library/library?v...eitem&type=2&id=1938

I am sure these reports will be useful for other people studying faecal sludge management issues in India!

I have two questions to you:
(1)
Did anything come out of your study that you found surprising? Totally unexpected? Or did the study more or less confirm what we already would have expected.

(2)
The study was comissioned by the BMGF, but have your outcomes and recommendations also been discussed with the government of India? If yes, which part of the government? Or perhaps with other players in the sector in India like GIZ who are working on those city sanitation plans? - Where to from here?

I copy one part of your conclusions from the fourth document which I found important ("Rapid Market Assessment for FS derived energy products"):

Recommendations:
Usage of FS in existing waste to energy plants:
There is a pre-processing need to meet the feed stock characteristics required by existing waste to energy plants. This requires technology retrofit or this can be outsourced also. Government should allow such pre-processing measures and retrofits in existing waste to energy facilities considering them environment friendly.

Commercial viability of FS to energy plants:
FS to energy processes are not financial viable on its own. However any such process would result in avoided cost to the government. Those avoided cost can be provided as subsidy to these plants to improve their financial viability.

Avoided costs are those costs which would occur in the absence of FS management. This includes the cost of severe line, expenditure on water prone diseases, expenditure on cleanliness of city etc.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds