Community-led projects - What means "community-led" precisly in terms of sanitation projects?

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Community-led projects

Dear Leon,

This is a central aspect of the CLTS approach (for details see link of Marijn above). Just a quick explanation: It means that the change is coming from within the community and not from outsiders, like donors, preachers, government officials, NGO workers etc. who say "you must do this, or you must wash your hands etc.". The community takes their decisions into their own hands.
Usually there are so called "natural leaders" who emerge from the community.
It works best in a close-nit community, such as villages where everyone knows each other.

That's in short how I would explain the term "community-led".
Important is also the term "total" (community-led total sanitation): the entire community must take part in it, nobody is left out. Only then do you really get health benefits in the end.

Cheers,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Marijn Zandee
  • No longer working in WASH, but still following the forum.

Re: Community-led projects

Dear Leon,

www.communityledtotalsanitation.org/

should be helpful
Marijn Zandee

E: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• leon
  • Topic Author

Community-led projects - What means "community-led" precisly in terms of sanitation projects?

Hey,

I have a question about the concept of "community-led". During my research for my A-level work, I found several times this term, but it didn't mean anything to me. What means "community-led" precisly in terms of sanitation projects? Which are the members of a community and what do they?

I would be pleased for help

lg Leon

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds