Sanitation Safety Planning: Manual for Safe Use and Disposal of Wastewater, Greywater and Excreta (WHO, 2015)

Page selection:
  • JKMakowka
  • Just call me Kris :)

Re: Sanitation Safety Planning: Manual for Safe Use and Disposal of Wastewater, Greywater and Excreta

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • ECOlaTRINE
  • By addressing water challenges - sanitation should be the first step.

Re: Sanitation Safety Planning: Manual for Safe Use and Disposal of Wastewater, Greywater and Excreta

Is the WHO e-mail address still correct? I struggle to open it.
Please confirm

• F H Mughal
    Topic Author
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

Dear Elisabeth,

Nightsoil is commonly used in Bangkok. I learnt it from there.

"Cloak Room" is used for toilet in some commercial buildings in Karachi

:) :P :lol:
F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Mughal!
I have moved it now from "new publications" to the "reuse" section of this forum.

It seems like a very interesting publication. Interesting that those WHO reuse guidelines from 2006 are still valid and don't need a revamp, but only a "translation" into practice, which is what this document does, I believe.
Interesting also the comparisons with water safety plans.

And yes, Mughal, I liked their abbreviations page and used it to update our common abbreviations page immediately:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_abbreviations_used_in_sanitation

When it comes to their glossary, I was surprised to see the term "nightsoil" used in their glossary: "Untreated excreta transported without water (e.g.
via containers or buckets)."

To me, this seems like a historical term which is rather ill defined (although interestingly it implies the fertiliser aspect in it). Mind you, it only appears in their glossary and nowhere else in the document anyhow.
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• F H Mughal
    Topic Author

My "educated" guess is that the manual was issued this week.
According to the WHO newsletter, the formal launch of the SSP Manual is scheduled at AfricaSan 4 in Dakar, Senegal on Wednesday 27 May at 12.40 (Room C05/06) at the King Fayd Palace.
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

• joeturner

Does anyone know how long ago this came out?

• F H Mughal
    Topic Author

Sanitation Safety Planning: Manual for Safe Use and Disposal of Wastewater, Greywater and Excreta (WHO, 2015)

Sanitation Safety Planning: Manual for Safe Use and Disposal of Wastewater, Greywater and Excreta

The World Health Organization (WHO) has issued a new publication - Sanitation Safety Planning: Manual for Safe Use and Disposal of Wastewater, Greywater and Excreta – that aims to protect the public health.

According to WHO, the publication will assist the users to:

• Systematically identify and manage health risk along the sanitation chain;

• Guide investment based on actual risks, to promote health benefits and minimize adverse health impacts; and

• Provide assurance to authorities and the public on the safety of sanitation-related products and services.

As if to increase its scope, Maria Niera, Director Department of Public Heath, Environmental and Social Determinants of Health, WHO, in her foreword, says:

“Sanitation Safety Planning is a tool to help sanitation system operators maximise health benefits and minimise health risk of their system. It guides operators to prioritize and target risk management efforts to where it will have the most impact and to improve over time. The outputs can be used to provide assurance to the public and authorities of the system performance based on sound risk based management.”

Interestingly, the Sanitation Safety Planning manual was tested with national authorities in Hanoi, Vietnam; Karnataka, India; Lima, Peru; Kampala Uganda; Benevente, Portugal; and Manila, Philippines under the guidance of a strategic advisory group and with review by experts and practitioners. This shows the publication’s global exposure.

The publication has a useful list of glossary and abbreviations, an aspect which Elisabeth will be delighted to see! :)

The companion volume of the publication: 2006 WHO Guidelines for Safe Use of Wastewater, Excreta and Greywater, is, I believe, available in the forum’s library.

The publication is available at: www.who.int/entity/water_sanitation_heal...er/ssp/en/index.html

F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan
The following user(s) like this post: JKMakowka, kifle1adama

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds