Is there a good book on design and dimensioning of Grease Traps?

Page selection:
  • canaday
    Topic Author
  • A biologist working toward sustainability

Re: Is there a good book on design and dimensioning of Grease Traps?

Hi Vic,

Thanks. The only study that I have found that actually evaluated the effects of various design variables in Grease Interceptors was this one by WERF:

ASSESSMENT OF GREASE INTERCEPTOR PERFORMANCE. Supplemental Report to 03-CTS-16T by: Joel J. Ducoste (North Carolina State University), Kevin M. Keener (Purdue University), John W. Groninger (Southern Illinois University), and Leon M. Holt (Town of Cary). 2008. 03-CTS-16TA

One thing that they did not look at, which I think is very important, is the depth of the Grease Interceptor, since with greater water pressure it would be logical that the grease separate faster. I am currently thinking of putting a 1-m-diameter sewer pipe, 1,3 m long (such that it holds 1000 liters), vertically into the floor of the kitchen. The inlet pipe would go nearly half way down and end in a T, so than any surge does not tend to go the bottom, and the outlet pipe would leave from near the bottom on the other side. How does that sound?

Best wishes,
Chris
Conservation Biologist and EcoSan Promoter
Omaere Ethnobotanical Park
Puyo, Pastaza, Ecuador, South America
inodoroseco.blogspot.com

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • vdamato

Chris - Check out www.werf.org/i/c/DecentralizedOutreach/G..._to_Research_an.aspx

This project I led includes some relevant information: ndwrcdp.werf.org/research_project_04-DEC-7.asp

Vic
Victor D'Amato, PE
Senior Engineer, Sustainable Design
PO Box 14409
Research Triangle Park, NC, USA. 27312
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Marijn Zandee
  • No longer working in WASH, but still following the forum.

Dear Chris,

I don't think the "ultimate" guide to grease traps exists. Information is usually hidden in texts on greywater systems.

For example:

Morel A., Diener S. 2006. Greywater Management in Low and Middle-Income Countries,
Review of different treatment systems for households or neighbourhoods. Swiss Federal
Institute of Aquatic Science and Technology (Eawag). Dübendorf, Switzerland.
(Availabe from the susanalibrary, has information on page 22-23)

Also:
The Borda (2010) DEWATS manual has some (but limited) design information in Chapter 9.
wedc.lboro.ac.uk/resources/books/DEWATS_-_Chapter_09.pdf

Regards

Marijn
Marijn Zandee

E: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) like this post: canaday

• canaday
    Topic Author
  • A biologist working toward sustainability

Is there a good book on design and dimensioning of Grease Traps?

Hi Everyone,

Grease Traps are an essential pre-treatment of the wastewater from restaurants, etc., but I have not been able to find a complete and (somewhat definitive) document on how to design them and calculate their correct sizes. Does anyone know of such a book? This would be good to upload to the SuSanA Library (where "grease trap" brings up zero).

I am currently designing one for a 100-customer restaurant on the hot, pacific coast of Ecuador. One source from Louisiana (USA) says that the grease trap should have a volume of 1000 liters (dhh.louisiana.gov/assets/oph/Center-EH/e...eTrapSizingChart.pdf).

Best wishes,
Chris Canaday
Conservation Biologist and EcoSan Promoter
Omaere Ethnobotanical Park
Puyo, Pastaza, Ecuador, South America
inodoroseco.blogspot.com

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds