Wicking bed technology and compost filters

Page selection:
  • AquaVerde
  • "simple" Sanitation-Solutions by gravity

Re: Sanitary system to replace septic tank or municipal system

Dear Pat,

In the past I opened a topic about a special CW which is "using" Mycelium too for removing pharmaceutical contents. The presentation by University Bremen is in German language. You will find POC on it. You may contact the scientist Mr. Dobner direct. see: forum.susana.org/forum/categories/36-con...iversity-bremen#7165

The moderators of this forum should advise on the right place for contributions on "wicking beds and compost filters"

All the Best
Detlef

+++++++++

Note by moderator (EvM): I have separated the threads now and moved the wicking bed thread to this category (I have also re-named the category to make it a bit broader: "constructed wetlands, soil filters and infiltration beds").
www.aqua-verde.de, AquaVerde Ltd. Zanzibar
"simple" Sanitation-Solutions by gravity
Low-Tech Solutions with High-Tech Effects
"Inspired by Circular Economy and Cooperation"
www.flickr.com/photos/aqua-verde/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • patso74
  • Topic Author

Detlef,

The Wicking Bed is a wet technology, and I thought of it as a potential solution when I was reading this post and the end results desired by PaulV. Wicking beds were already in my brain, as I was looking around this forum to see if there were any ongoing discussions over here so I think I may have forced it in here. I read about these about 5 years ago and have only recently come back to this idea as something that I would like to construct and test out for myself.

Where would you recommend to create a discussion for wicking beds and compost filters in this forum? We are already way too off track in this thread.

As for Mycoremediation components ...fungus incorporated either into the wicking bed or at the outlet of the wicking bed.

Here's a link to a Paul Stamets Webpage (various applications)

www.fungi.com/mushroom-info/tag/Mycotechnology.html

Ted Talk by Paul Stamets:

www.ted.com/talks/paul_stamets_on_6_ways..._save_the_world.html

Pat

• AquaVerde

Dear Pat,

Thanks.
When you talk about your self, it is a bit as you talk about me... ;-) For sure many people made very similar experiences around the world.

Now I understand the basics behind the "wicking bed gardens" better, it is a water based system, right? This solution seems to be very OK for wet climatic conditions and in rural settings. For people with much open space as you have in Canada and many places in US too. Unfortunately much much more people around the world have to stay in more crowded condition.

My experiences with so called "close to nature systems" is: "keep it simply as possible" (have nearly no user inputs) or people will turn back very quick to years of HABITS, what ever it is. Do not expect from people more them from your own laziness for maintenance (user inputs) and so on. Better expect nearly nothing... ;-)

The mentioned "compost filters" have in my opinion high needs of user inputs, at least on the day of emptying. Proper servicing systems for that are not in place, as it is difficult to find employees to do it.

Your honest intention "cracking the balance between modern technologies and natural (free) technologies" I appreciate very much. On the other side people searching just for personal income, so they try to put on "natural (free) technologies" PATENTS (propriety rights) and make simple things purposely complex and very "scientific". In my opinion for domestic "pipi & kaka" no need for high power consumptions or computer driven small wwtp's, just "use" nature...

Therefore, despite knowing what is right or wrong, engineers have very often two choices only: SALE-SALE-SALE or "sustainable solution" Not much between. The economic system and interests around them forces them very often to work against their own better know-how.

What is mycoremediation components ???

All the Best
Detlef
The following user(s) like this post: canaday

• patso74
  • Topic Author

Detlef,

First off a little about me. I have worked as an environmental engineer involved in water and wastewater treatment ranging from large municipal infrastructure projects in Canada to low cost sanitation solutions for NGO's throughout southeast asia. I am also a tinkerer and builder of low cost simple composting solutions and greywater treatment schemes, at my place of residence and where friends and neighbours will allow me to put systems in place.

Over the years my thoughts on sanitation have evolved from looking for high-tech solutions and modern treatment technologies, to the realization that a simpler and site specific design typically results in the most appropriate technology for the given situation. I'm looking forward to someone really cracking the balance between modern technologies and natural (free) technologies.

Thanks for having a look at this concept and your comments. Just a couple of points about the wicking bed as I interpret how it operates (Note: I have built wicking bed gardens but have not explored this option with grey or blackwater):

The system operates as a wicking bed rather than a CW (I am assuming constructed wetland), this results in the "infiltrator " component becoming an aerobic composting chamber rather than a "sludge collector" in an anaerobic/wet condition.

The outlet to daylight, allowing for a free-draining system is what allows for this condition and is the theory behind the system not becoming clogged due to anaerobic sludges.

The maintaining of an aerobic environment, I believe simplifies all further treatment processes and minimizes the issues associated with the anaerobic wastestream created in a typical septic tank configuration (greenhouse gas creation, sludge management etc).

It also allows for the use of flushing technologies, as well as allowing the option to segregate individual wastewater sources to specifically design wicking beds to optimize given the different characteristics of wastewater streams.

Also, my current interest in wicking beds and also compost filters (www.sswm.info/category/implementation-to...water/compost-filter) as a primary treatment are for personal and experimental builds that I am planning for a personal remote cabin. I am also looking at including mycoremediation components to these builds as well as sealing the base layer using natural techniques (gley)rather than impervious plastic liners that I have employed in the past.

I would like to learn from others who have worked with or built something similar, should I create a new topic for discussion, what do you think?

Pat

• AquaVerde

Welcome on the forum Pat,

How about you?

Thanks for sharing this idea with us!
Just going through the sketch, I am guessing this combination of sludge collector and CW will get clogged over some time by sludge. :blink: For only grey-water this system might do well for long time.

All the Best
Detlef

• patso74
  • Topic Author

Wicking bed technology and compost filters

I was looking into wicking bed technology and came across this system being used in the Amercian Southwest. It has been called the Watson Wick, there does not seem to be a lot of information on this system, but it may be an appropriate replacement in to the septic tank and possibly the municipal systems given the right climate.

I am interested into what others think of this concept. There is not a lot of information on these systems and there are documented failures so...

oasisdesign.net/compostingtoilets/watsonwick.htm

Pat

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds