DE-NITRIFICATION with the help of Methane content of AD-effluent?

Page selection:
  • AquaVerde
    Topic Author
  • "simple" Sanitation-Solutions by gravity

Re: DE-NITRIFICATION with the help of Methane content of AD-effluent?

Thanks, you are all ways very helpfully :)

Yes you are right, the current "industry" are not interested. Selfish profits are easier through wasting of energy and resources...

Never the less, as I pointed out in Link fossil energy are endless, as long we can wait another millions of years ;) . I guess, there will be a slow EVOLUTION in so called advanced wwtp's. AS (Activates Sludge) is just based on, energy "for ever" very cheaply available. Letting the amounting sludge problem alone, it has even crude geopolitical implications.

Increasing number of R&D's going for AD on DOMESTIC wwtp including nice paper you mentioned kindly to me, letting me guess interests are changing slowly but surely.
(AD= anaerobic digestion)

All the Best
Detlef
www.aqua-verde.de
"simple" Sanitation-Solutions by gravity
Low-Tech Solutions with High-Tech Effects
"Inspired by Circular Economy and Cooperation"
www.flickr.com/photos/aqua-verde/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • JKMakowka
  • Just call me Kris :)

Re: DE-NITRIFICATION with the help of Methane content of AD-effluent?

As mentioned in the original topic , this is indeed a very interesting opportunity.

A relevant paper that shows a prototype implementation in a MBR like system is this one:
edepot.wur.nl/246167

However given the current economics of WWTPs, I doubt this will see much interest from the "industry" except for smaller scale applications and basic research for the foreseeable future.

Might be quite relevant to low-tech DEWATS systems however.

• AquaVerde
    Topic Author
  • "simple" Sanitation-Solutions by gravity

DE-NITRIFICATION with the help of Methane content of AD-effluent?

Dear Colleagues,

Coming back to our old 2013 discussion, "how to get rid-off green-house-gases like Methane" after a simple AD-wwtp step. (AD= anaerobic digestion)

Methane (CH4) can not go in solution with Water (H2O), but after an AD it is still connected to effluent as very small bubbles which can not float up immediately. After "enough" time this very small bubbles connecting to each other and floating. "Normally" this Methane in effluent will separate to the atmosphere later within any aerobic wwtp step.

Maybe this Methane-rich effluent could still be "used" for an anaerobic DE-NITRIFICATION, as Methane could be the carbon-rich reducing agent in an anoxic or hypoxic environment. Probably a partly anaerobic horizontal CW or better an enclosed trickling "filter" as a growth substrate for anaerobic bacteria (bio-film) could be used as a de-nitrification step with the help by Methane.

Any sharing of experiences or R&D results related to "DE-NITRIFICATION with the help of Methane content in AD-effluent?" would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Best Regards,
Detlef
www.aqua-verde.de
"simple" Sanitation-Solutions by gravity
Low-Tech Solutions with High-Tech Effects
"Inspired by Circular Economy and Cooperation"
www.flickr.com/photos/aqua-verde/

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds