The potential for financing small-scale wastewater treatment (with UASBs) through resource recovery: experience from Bocas del Toro, Panama

Page selection:
  • stilmans
    Topic Author
  • Environmental Engineer working on anaerobic systems and mobile sanitation; PhD in Env. Eng. on Resource Recovery from Waste

Re: The potential for financing small-scale wastewater treatment (with UASBs) through resource recovery: experience from Bocas del Toro, Panama

Hi Christoph,

Unfortunately, my understanding of the copyright agreement with the publisher is that I am not authorized to distribute the article in whole or in part on other venues. I realize that this is inconvenient, but I was not in a position to pay the higher publication fees for open access.

I do believe I am authorized to share individual copies of the article to colleagues for their personal use...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • christoph
  • Sanitary engineer with base in Brazil and Peru, doing consultancy in other countries of LA

Re: The potential for financing small-scale wastewater treatment (with UASBs) through resource recovery: experience from Bocas del Toro, Panama

Dear Sebastien,
would be nice to have access to the article, but it is pay per view. Could you open it by copying parts of it here or just attaching maybe a paper presented in a conference? - just to avoid copyright problems.
Thank you.

Christoph

• stilmans
    Topic Author
  • Environmental Engineer working on anaerobic systems and mobile sanitation; PhD in Env. Eng. on Resource Recovery from Waste

The potential for financing small-scale wastewater treatment (with UASBs) through resource recovery: experience from Bocas del Toro, Panama

Dear Forum Members,

Since I don't post often, I'll re-introduce myself. I'm co-founder of re.source, which has been discussed here , and I'm completing my PhD in Environmental Engineering at Stanford, with a focus on how resource recovery from waste can improve the financial viability of waste management infrastructure.

I'm posting here the abstract of my paper on research I conducted in Panama on a set of household-scale and communal UASB-septic tanks my team and I built there. The link to the full article is here . My co-authors on the paper are Ana Diaz-Hernandez, Eric Nyman, and Jenna Davis. I'm in the final stages of the dissertation, so may have trouble responding to questions you may have in a timely manner, but I will make an effort :).

The potential for financing small-scale wastewater treatment through resource recovery: experience from Bocas del Toro, Panama

Abstract:

The excreta of more than half of the world’s population is discharged into the environment without treatment of any kind. Particularly in low- and middle-income countries with limited public finance for treatment infrastructure, resource recovery from wastewater has the potential to finance part of the costs of sanitation systems. Most assessments of resource-recovering treatment systems in low- income settings have focused on their technical performance. In this study, using data collected from 14 upward-flow anaerobic sludge blanket septic tanks in rural Panama, we estimate the proportion of waste treatment system costs that could be offset by biogas sales. We find that biogas revenues would cover between 26% and 49% of system operation and maintenance expenses, and would improve the net present value of the wastewater system investment by 8% to 15%. Aggregate stated demand for in-home biogas delivery among sample households is more than twice the volume of gas that could be generated by a system treating waste from the entire community. In Panama and other countries where public resources are devoted to subsidizing liquid propane gas, investment in wastewater treatment systems with biogas recovery could reduce the cost of energy provision to households while improving public and environmental health.

www.iwaponline.com/washdev/004/washdev0040449.htm

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds