Marketing excreta in order to create a sustainable system for slum sanitation?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
UDDT stands for urine diversion dehydration toilet. UD stands for urine diversion.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Marketing excreta in order to create a sustainable system for slum sanitation?

Re: Marketing excreta in order to create a sustainable system for slum sanitation? 27 Oct 2012 12:00 #2540

• canaday
  • CONTACT
  • A biologist working toward sustainability
Featured User
May 2014
Hi Christoph,

The study you attached to posting 511 is an example of the type of methodology that I suggest we try to steer away from, as it depends on centrifuges and specialized chemicals (which are likely expensive, hard to get, and who knows what effect they would have on the environment, when made and when disposed of). Plus, that methodology analyzes only a small (50 g) sample. I suggest we develop a simple, accessible methodology that can be done to a larger sample (1 kg?) wherever there is a microscope (for example, malaria stations in the jungle). It may involve flotation overnight, instead of using the centrifuge. The idea of doing a large sample is so that we can mix a large batch of decomposed feces, test a kilogram sample, and make an acceptable determination of the presence or absence of Helminth eggs in it.

Maybe centrifuges are common enough to be included, but I would especially like to avoid the specialized chemical reagents.

Forum members at universities, please consider passing on this idea to students looking for a project.

NICK, you said the fecal compost was up to 175 degrees Celsius for extended periods. That would be much more than sufficient, since it is above the boiling point, but is that possible? 75 C would apparently be enough. Do you mean 175 Fahrenheit?

Best wishes,
Chris Canaday
Conservation Biologist and EcoSan Promoter
Omaere Ethnobotanical Park
Puyo, Pastaza, Ecuador, South America
inodoroseco.blogspot.com
Last Edit: 27 Oct 2012 13:00 by canaday. Reason: "up to" instead of "over" in the question

Re: Marketing excreta in order to create a sustainable system for slum sanitation? 07 Nov 2012 11:56 #2603

• NPreneta01
  • CONTACT
Chris,
Thanks for picking up on that and apologies for the slow reply. Definitely not hitting 175C, that should be read as [b]175 F,[b] which you are right in saying it is plenty hot to kill off pathogens. Any higher, however, and you start killing off the microorganisms that you need to have around.
In terms of marketing compost, Dominic, I'm sure you are aware of the market analysis done in Ghana by IWMI, who are selling their compost in bulk to companies involved in housing/landscape projects where the risks associated with using compost is extremely low. Perhaps you are working with this group?
Thanks for putting those resources up, I will take a look at them.

Nick
Nick Preneta, MPH
Acting Country Director, SOIL
Haiti: 011-4-733-8104
US: 541-326-7845

Re: Marketing excreta in order to create a sustainable system for slum sanitation? 07 Nov 2012 12:13 #2604

• Massimo
  • CONTACT
  • PSSH - General Manager
Hi Guys, have been following this discussion for a while now. We have a plant that we designed specifically for the processing of human waste. The idea is to heat the product up sufficiently to kill off the pathogens, etc, and have an output product that can be used as a ground conditioner (fertilizer). You may want to have a look at our website. Also, I am attaching a brochure here.
The machine can be built in various sizes, to accommodate specific through put, and with variable MIR's, depending on the water content of the product. For rural use, the machine is built inside a container (easier to transport, and lock up at night) and comes complete with a second container which houses the diesel / petrol generator, and electrical controls. Finally, it's a South African invention, built in South Africa, for African conditions! Low maintenance costs, easy to run, and the out put can be sold to defray some of the costs. In optimum conditions ( with the right throughput) the operation can be run at a profit!
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Massimo Zanette -Parsep / LaDePa
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds