Designers, inventors, tinkerers... unite! (urine diversion squatting plates) - publication Compilation of contemporary toilet designs
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
UDDT stands for urine diversion dehydration toilet. UD stands for urine diversion.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Designers, inventors, tinkerers... unite! (urine diversion squatting plates) - publication Compilation of contemporary toilet designs

Re: designers, inventors, tinkerers... unite! 08 Mar 2013 11:40 #3812

• jansengerwin
  • CONTACT
  • Design Engineer at Delft University of Technology
I just came across this technology review report on urine diverting dry toilets. Definitely worth taking a look at.

www.susana.org/lang-en/library?view=ccbk...mp;type=2&id=874
Last Edit: 02 Apr 2013 16:23 by muench.

Re: designers, inventors, tinkerers... unite! 08 Mar 2013 13:20 #3815

• jyaltd
  • CONTACT
  • Emmanuel Kankam-Boadu
Emmanuel Kankam-Boadu
Tema,Ghana-West Africa
email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

I think this toilet design project can help we at the developing countries in some areas like our local communities, schools, market and lorry parks as well as other places.Thank you very much for your input.
ekb

Re: designers, inventors, tinkerers... unite! 12 Jul 2013 18:23 #5034

• bernhard
  • CONTACT
  • I​​´m a designer at EOOS. Together with Eawag and in the BMGF / RTTC project we work on UDDTs and even more acronyms.
update update

...just uploaded the 3d files of the UDDT-Flush Pan we used in our last field test in Uganda.
It features a foot operated lid, that allows for wash-water collection. Once the pan gets flushed the lid automatically closes (electronically at the moment, but we think abour making it mechanically in the future)

How´s it going fellow designers? Anything new to share?

best regards
bernhard

03_pic_01.png

Note by moderator: see also related thread here:
forum.susana.org/forum/categories/39-mis...oilet-solutions#4395 and
forum.susana.org/forum/categories/39-mis...oilet-solutions#4463
Designer at EOOS Design, Vienna

http://www.eoos.com/cms/?id=282
Last Edit: 18 Jul 2013 11:44 by muench.
The following user(s) like this post: cecile, Chantal

Re: designers, inventors, tinkerers... unite! 01 Aug 2013 16:37 #5191

• bernhard
  • CONTACT
  • I​​´m a designer at EOOS. Together with Eawag and in the BMGF / RTTC project we work on UDDTs and even more acronyms.
Hello Hello
and another update;
I added another 3d scan of a UDDT Pan to the dropbox. We found it on a local market in Kampala, Uganda during our field test. It´s a injection molded piece. Not the best quality but ok. 770g of PE (I think - might be PP as well?)
Looks like there is a lid missing for the feces but I can´t confirm. This is how we bought it and the guy at the market also din´t have more information on the pan.

IMG_4651.JPG

Dimensions.PNG

Whats up fellow designers? I need a bit of support here! Anyone willing to share some information?

Cheers
Bernhard

Last Edit: 01 Aug 2013 16:41 by bernhard. Reason: typos

Re: designers, inventors, tinkerers... unite! 18 Oct 2013 08:33 #6040

• MichaelCarr
  • CONTACT
Hi Amos: long time no hear from you. How you doing?

The seat/pan design above is great and very close to my own human8ture figure of 8 design concept. What I want to achieve with my system is to enable people to sit or squat. That is why I have container system that does not require a hole in the ground. Old/infirm/pregnant ladies etc like to sit. Squatting is a major tradition though in Asia and Africa since beginning of time. I have just had another idea to stabilize the container for squatting. That is to have some 'wingdings' /step ups on the sides that fit flush to the floor and hook into the sides.
I am in discussion with United World College students to take on this project for R&D
fingers crossed
If you've got any ideas for how I can develop the top seat part please let me know
ie; materials / how to do
hope you are well Amos - cheers

human8turesketchup.jpg

Re: designers, inventors, tinkerers... unite! 18 Oct 2013 08:54 #6041

• MichaelCarr
  • CONTACT
Hi there: I think this is a great design. If I may...
The faeces hole could be oval, bigger and deeper (further back)
The fall-off area directly in front of the rear hole could be much deeper to act as a splash back to prevent urine going into rear hole - and to accommodate male parts
The area surrounding the back hole could be concave - so that any urine does not settle on the surface but falls into feaces section - (a tiny amount of urine won't matter)
Yes - the 'neck'in the middle could be wider

My remarks are based on my idea for the top 'seat' of my product and base to be made of metal (recycleable, lightweight, storeable, transportable & mobile)

Research Log 27 Mar 2014 05:29 #7991

• bernhard
  • CONTACT
I'm delightet to inform you that the collection of toilet designs and technologies that we gathered over the last years at EOOS Design,
during our work on the Blue Diversion Toilet, just got published by Loughborough University.

It is a incomplete collection of interesting stuff that might be helpful for ever designer working in that field.

Here is a link where you can download a pdf for free:

https://wedc-knowledge.lboro.ac.uk/details.html?id=21302

cover.jpg

Bernhard

Last Edit: 27 Mar 2014 08:36 by muench.
The following user(s) like this post: jkeichholz, cecile, Mona

Re: Research Log - compilation of contemporary toilet designs 27 Mar 2014 08:51 #8000

• muench
  • CONTACT
  • Freelance consultant (former roles: program manager, lecturer, process engineer)
Dear Bernhard,

Thanks for posting the link to this document. I had a quick look at it, and I must say I am totally amazed at the beauty of the illustrations and at the wide variety of toilets included! Congratulations to all involved.

These illustrations are amazing. You told me that the original document had photos in them and it was decided to convert the photos into illustrations/drawings. This gives the publication a very "uniform" and professional feeling, so I congratulate the editor (Rod Shaw) and illustrator (Ken Chatterton). (was a software program used that can convert a photo into an illustration?)

I probably wouldn't have called it "contemporary toilet designs", I don't think this title fits very well, as the book also includes treatment aspects and many toilets that are more on the "research" side, rather than what I would call "contemporary".

It is noticeable that most of them use urine diversion. I don't know whether that's coincidence, or a trend, or whether you focussed on urine diversion because you knew that's what you wanted for your Blue Diversion Toilet (forum.susana.org/forum/categories/106-us...12&start=24#7964)?

It reminds me a bit of the "Encycloopedia" by Kory Russel and Sebastien Tilmans which is also very nice:
forum.susana.org/forum/categories/141-ot...s-all-out-there#6400

Thanks again for sharing your research log in this format.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Independent consultant
Frankfurt, Germany
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Twitter: @EvMuench
Member of SuSanA (www.susana.org)
The following user(s) like this post: jkeichholz, Mona

Re: Research Log - compilation of contemporary toilet designs 27 Mar 2014 12:01 #8002

• Rod
  • CONTACT
Thanks for your kind comments about the book and the illustrations. We are aware of its shortcoming too and we see this as a starting point hoping that others will come forward with other designs, particularly those which consider the needs of disabled users. If there is sufficient response we will consider producing a second or revised volume in due course.

Rod
Last Edit: 27 Mar 2014 12:21 by muench.
The following user(s) like this post: JKMakowka
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.46 seconds