SuSanA discussion forum digest (e-mail alert): how often should it be sent out?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

Poll: SuSanA discussion forum digest - how often should it be sent out?

I would like to receive a daily digest. 6 23.1%
I would like to receive it three times per week. 9 34.6%
I would like to get it once per week. 11 42.3%
Total number of voters:26
Only registered users can participate to this poll
  • Page:

TOPIC: SuSanA discussion forum digest (e-mail alert): how often should it be sent out?

SuSanA discussion forum digest (e-mail alert): how often should it be sent out? 29 May 2012 15:34 #1601

• ennoschroeder
  • CONTACT
Dear Members!

We are currently working on a digest service for the SuSanA discussion forum. The digest will be comparable to e.g. feedburner.

The idea is
1) To help you to keep updated about latest discussions taking place on the discussion forum.
2) To help you to save time, since you only receive information about the latest conversations taking place on the forum and last but not least,
3) you don't need to visit the forum online - you will just get the relevant info right into your mailbox and hit the reply button if you have anything to say!

What would be very interesting for us in this stage of developing that service is how often would you like to receive such a digest? I created a little poll over here (top of the page) where I would kindly ask you for your opinion.

Thanks a lot and looking forward for your contributions,
Best regards,
Enno
Enno Schroeder
Freelance consultant
Hamburg, Germany
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Member of SuSanA (www.susana.org)
Last Edit: 29 May 2012 15:38 by ennoschroeder.

Re: SuSanA discussion forum digest - how often should it be sent out? 01 Jun 2012 00:21 #1610

• jonpar
  • CONTACT
Dear Enno, I like the poll which is very easy to respond to. I went for 3 times per week because there is quite alot of discussion going on within the SuSanA forum and I think a compilation once a week would be too lengthy and a more regular disgest keeps it more live - but once a day is probably too much more me to cope with. regards, Jonathan
Jonathan Parkinson
B.Eng (Hons) MSc DIC PhD
Integrated Sanitation Solutions (i-San) Consulting
Email : jonathan.parkinson@i-san.co.uk
Skype / V-mobile : Jonathanparkinson1
Telephone: + 44 20 300 48528
Mobile : +44 79 140 129 81

Re: SuSanA discussion forum digest - how often should it be sent out? 01 Jun 2012 08:26 #1612

• inajurga
  • CONTACT
  • Head of WASH in Schools, WASH United
Dear Enno

- i prefer once a week,
A Daily digest is to much for me - and will get lost to all the daily mailcommunication.
The weekly one act more as a reminder to check the forum

But its good to keep the daily option for other people who would prefer daily updates.

Greets from berlin
Ina*
Head of WASH in Schools
WASH United
www.wash-united.org

Re: SuSanA discussion forum digest - how often should it be sent out? 01 Jun 2012 11:48 #1617

• christoph
  • CONTACT
  • Sanitary engineer with base in Brazil and Peru, doing consultancy in other countries of LA
Hi, I like the daily basis. If there is something interesting I can go to the Forum.
When I do not follow for some days, the interesting treads are anyhow much easier to read in the Forum. A weekly basis would not help for me , if would be way too much to read through . I like it to have small bites I´m able to read over quickly.

Just a matter of taste I guess.
Yours Christoph

Re: SuSanA discussion forum digest - how often should it be sent out? 05 Jun 2012 09:22 #1625

• tmsinnovation
  • CONTACT
  • I am one of the community managers of this forum and work at the GIZ. My background is in Management, Economics and Information Systems.
Hi All

This is definitely a matter of personal preference. I am inclined to agree with and share Christoph's outlook and opinion. Hence would prefer to receive a daily digest.

Naturally it would be wonderful if multiple options were possible and everyone could choose the option that suites them best, the technical feasibility of this would need to be explored.

Kind regards
Trevor
Sustainable Sanitation Alliance (SuSanA)
Secretariat
Located at Deutsche Gesellschaft fuer Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Eschborn, Germany

Decision made Re: SuSanA discussion forum digest - how often should it be sent out? 13 Jun 2012 14:49 #1663

• muench
  • CONTACT
  • Freelance consultant (former roles: program manager, lecturer, process engineer)
Dear all,

The poll results (please scroll up to the top of this thread) gave no clear results as each of the 3 options received about one third of the votes (18 votes in total). We have now decided to send out the forum digest by e-mail on 3 days per week, namely Thursday, Sunday and Tuesday.

Thus, if you are registered to the SuSanA forum (1392 people!), you will receive tomorrow your first e-mail with the postings as a digest and from then on every second/third day (unless you unsubscribe from the digest).
If the frequency proves to be unpopular, we can still adjust it at any time.

So, we are curious how this service will be received and whether it will ultimately lead to a higher number of postings on the forum, which is our general aim.

Oh and if you don't get the digest e-mail tomorrow even though you have registered as a SuSanA member or to this forum (same thing), please check your spam folder, as some e-mail clients may classify it as spam (I hope not too many!).

Below I have also copied the official announcement text which we sent yesterday to everyone on the SuSanA mailing list (www.susana.org/lang-en/news/news-mail-ar...-news-mail-june-2012):

+++++++
Easy and convenient: SuSanA Forum Digest by e-mail starts this week
Have you missed important discussions taking place in the SuSanA Discussion Forum because you don't check there regularly? Same for us - therefore we decided to create a forum digest which is sent by e-mail and compiles an overview of what has happened during the last 2 days.

The digest will help you to keep updated about the latest discussions going on without having to regularily check the forum. It is convenient and helps you save time, since you receive the digest right into your mailbox. Another benefit is that our digest does not rely on external services like Feeburner (up until now we used Feedburner).

If you are already a registered member of SuSanA, you don't need to do anything to receive the digest - we will just use the email address you provided when you registered with SuSanA (if you don't want to receive the digest, there is of course an "unsubscribe function"). For those who are not yet a member of SuSanA this is another good reason to become one: susana.org/index.php/lang-en/component/register/?view=member.

The forum digest service will start on 14 June.

+++++++

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Independent consultant
Frankfurt, Germany
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Twitter: @ostella42
Last Edit: 13 Jun 2012 14:53 by muench.
The following user(s) like this post: Doreen

Re: Decision made Re: SuSanA discussion forum digest - how often should it be sent out? 14 Jun 2012 07:31 #1665

• muench
  • CONTACT
  • Freelance consultant (former roles: program manager, lecturer, process engineer)
Sorry!! We have just realised that a technical problem has occurred and the e-mail "recent posts from the SuSanA Forum" has been sent out several times instead of just once (I received it 6 times in my inbox this morning).
Our IT company is working hard on fixing the error.

I am very sorry and feel pretty embarrassed.
Please bear with up with this technical hick-up, I am sure it can be sorted out very soon.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Independent consultant
Frankfurt, Germany
The following user(s) like this post: OlivierC

How do you like it? Re: SuSanA discussion forum digest 09 Jul 2012 19:58 #1821

• muench
  • CONTACT
Now that the forum digest is going out by e-mail to all registered SuSanA members smoothly every Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday morning (except to those who opted out), I would like to find out your views:
  1. Do you like this service?
  2. Do you like the visual appearance?
  3. How do you use it, is it just an alert or do you also use it to read posts off-line while travelling for example?
  4. Your feedback on this service is appreciated. Perhaps you have suggestions for improvements?

(Regarding the frequency, we know already that some people want it daily and some only once per week. It is difficult to please everyone and unfortunately with the current IT setup we are unable to let each member choose the frequency individually for himself or herself; would need some major programming efforts)

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Independent consultant
Frankfurt, Germany

Re: SuSanA discussion forum digest - how often should it be sent out? 09 Jul 2012 23:53 #1822

• falco
  • CONTACT
I'd prefer a choice but I can live with the present daily digest until software allowing choice becomess available. I enjoy the digest; find it useful.

Re: How do you like it? Re: SuSanA discussion forum digest 10 Jul 2012 00:24 #1823

• falco
  • CONTACT
Now that the forum digest is going out by e-mail to all registered SuSanA members smoothly every Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday morning (except to those who opted out), I would like to find out your views:

Do you like this service? YES
Do you like the visual appearance? GENERALLY YES BUT I FIND ITS NAVIGATION FOR REPLIES A LEARNING CURVE.
How do you use it, is it just an alert or do you also use it to read posts off-line while travelling for example? I USE THE SERVICE MAINLY AS AN ALERT ON ISSUES TO FOLLOW-UP; TO FOLLOW THE LINKS PROVIDED. VERY INFORMATIVE. MUCH APPRECIATED.

Your feedback on this service is appreciated. Perhaps you have suggestions for improvements?

I would find it useful if a more explicit (if precise may not be desirable) indication of the geographical locale of each poster was obvious at a glance.

The reason I would more find this useful is that my experience and interests primarily are in urban indoor humanure composting toilets & vermicomposting in cold temperate continental climates (Canada's prairie provinces and north) i.e in the Minority World/the Global North. Thus the effects & the consequences of long winter weather on such things, for example, as urine storage and Eisenia survival are significant considerations.

To further illustrate, to know that a poster lives in northern Sweden is useful; but even northern Sweden's winters however, especially if the locality is near the moderating maritime influence of a seacoast, are not comparable to the harsher midcontinental cold climate winters that I experience.

vermicomposting in cold weather 10 Jul 2012 03:28 #1824

• jmr
  • CONTACT
falco:
"The reason I would more find this useful is that my experience and interests primarily are in urban indoor humanure composting toilets & vermicomposting in cold temperate continental climates (Canada's prairie provinces and north) i.e in the Minority World/the Global North. Thus the effects & the consequences of long winter weather on such things, for example, as urine storage and Eisenia survival are significant considerations."

i'm not quite as far north as you, but i border canada. i'm involved with vermicomposting and would be interested in talking with you about your experiences vermicomposting in cold weather. please contact me off-line at your convenience: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

- jonathan

Re: How do you like it? Re: SuSanA discussion forum digest 10 Jul 2012 03:40 #1825

• jmr
  • CONTACT

• Do you like this service? yes. good info and discussion
  • Do you like the visual appearance? The lists of recent posts is not visually friendly. Try more space between items, itemize with bullets or numbers
  • How do you use it, is it just an alert or do you also use it to read posts off-line while travelling for example? Read them whenever I have time
Last Edit: 10 Jul 2012 09:08 by muench.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.58 seconds