Re: Micro flush toilet training in Ethiopia

88.5k views

Page selection:
  • goeco
  • Self employed innovator with an interest in wastewater treatment systems and recycling of nutrients

Re: Prototype Microflush-Biofil Toilet Facilities (Ghana Sustainable Aid Project, USA and Ghana)

Hi Hannah,
Steve described an 80 page fabrication guide (English and Spanish) for the GSAP Microflush toilet. I'm wondering if you could find that guide and whether Susana could publish that in their information resources. Would be a shame for this to be lost as a result of his passing.
cheers
Dean
Dean Satchell, M For. Sc.
Vermifilter.com
www.vermifilter.com

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • handav

Re: The potential of subsurface infiltration for the treatment of vermibed effluents generated by the Biofil toilet. (UNESCO-IHE/KNUST, Kumasi, Ghana)

Hello,

I am Steve Mecca's granddaughter. You can reach out to the country directors to find MAKERs, depending on where you are - Eric Agyemang in Ghana at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and Geoffrey Nyakundi in Kenya at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

You can also write to me at hannahdavis0220 at gmail dot com and I can send you several other email addresses.

I saw that some of the previous comments asked about the business model, so I'm linking here to a few of Steve's last paper's, one published posthumously. I hope this helps going forward.

www.researchgate.net/publication/3234922..._for_the_common_good

peerj.com/articles/6077/

++++++++++
Note by moderator: See also here Hanna's note about Steve's life: forum.susana.org/264-in-memorium/23189-stephen-mecca-s-passing

• spirus007

Re: The potential of subsurface infiltration for the treatment of vermibed effluents generated by the Biofil toilet. (UNESCO-IHE/KNUST, Kumasi, Ghana)

Bonjour Mr Mecca,

Je suis tellement intéresser pour devenir un maker, je vous ai aussi écrit par email mais vous ne m'avez pas encore répondu.
S'il vous plaît, offrez moi une formation en ligne dans la mesure du possible.

Merci.

• marrath
  • Currently I am writing my master thesis on sustainable sanitation in developing countries with a case study in Arba Minch, Ethiopia. My study program is: Civil Engineering and Water Management

Re: Prototype Microflush-Biofil Toilet Facilities (Ghana Sustainable Aid Project, USA and Ghana)

Thanks for the information Steve, that's great. I will reach out to you if I need more information.

• former member

Maria,
Below are answers to your questions, which I've copied ;
Dear Steve,

thank you for your reply. So if I understand correctly, the MAKERs are setting up their own enterprises and therefore need some funding in the beginning.

...this is correct. Some new MAKERs have their own tool sets and with early sales can secure sufficient assets to get underway; however, we try to secure MAKER scholarships for those who have nothing to begin with. The scholarship/grant provides funds for a tool set and materials for their first two toilets.

As to the toilet, do you have an idea on how to estimate the soil infiltration rate (or soil type) that is necessary in case of a gravel pit?

.....One needs to handle a pit to handle up to 8 liters per day of filtrate

I think you were saying in an earlier post that the toilet unit can be adapted to various environmental challenges (e.g. flooding, high groundwater level, high slopes, rocky ground). Is it possible to construct a raised version rather than in the ground in case of very hard/rocky soil?

...it is often installed on the ground and, though it costs a bit more, filtrate processing can be installed so that it is effectively a closed toilet

How much space does the technology need, superstructure included?

...footprint is 3' x 6' with a 3' x 4' superstructure for the household version ..a bit larger for the school block stalls

How long would you estimate the lifetime of one toilet unit?

...there are replacable components and superstructures reflect local customs , conditions and materials.

the filter-digester should last 20 years What if water is commonly used for anal cleansing - is it appropriate in such a case?

...our toilets have been installed where anal cleansing is the norm. there is no constraint here.

For users of different materials (e.g. soft paper or bulky, such as stones, paper of magazines), a waste bin is provided I guess?

.. instructions are provided on what can go into the system and what should not go in.. tissue, paper are fine synthetics, cleansers, plastics should not go in. Let's chat if you there is more you would like to know. Good luck with your dissertation work.
..Steve

++++++++
Note by moderators: This post was made by a former user with the login name smecca who is no longer a member of this discussion forum.
The following user(s) like this post: MirekuGh

• marrath
  • Currently I am writing my master thesis on sustainable sanitation in developing countries with a case study in Arba Minch, Ethiopia. My study program is: Civil Engineering and Water Management

Dear Steve,

thank you for your reply. So if I understand correctly, the MAKERs are setting up their own enterprises and therefore need some funding in the beginning.
As to the toilet, do you have an idea on how to estimate the soil infiltration rate (or soil type) that is necessary in case of a gravel pit? I think you were saying in an earlier post that the toilet unit can be adapted to various environmental challenges (e.g. flooding, high groundwater level, high slopes, rocky ground). Is it possible to construct a raised version rather than in the ground in case of very hard/rocky soil?
How much space does the technology need, superstructure included?
How long would you estimate the lifetime of one toilet unit? What if water is commonly used for anal cleansing - is it appropriate in such a case? For users of different materials (e.g. soft paper or bulky, such as stones, paper of magazines), a waste bin is provided I guess?

These are all parameters in my assessment, would be great if you could provide some answers on that.

Kind regards,
Maria

• former member

Dean, GSAP is a 501-C3 in the US and a NGO in Ghana. It's the MAKER enterprises that I refer to as sustainable. The latest paper on this will be published in June. I'll email a copy or link as soon as this happens...Steve

++++++++
Note by moderators: This post was made by a former user with the login name smecca who is no longer a member of this discussion forum.
The following user(s) like this post: DianeKellogg, MirekuGh

• goeco
  • Self employed innovator with an interest in wastewater treatment systems and recycling of nutrients

Hi Steve, could you explain GSAP's sustainable business model further please? Is MAKER training a business enterprise?

Thanks
Dean
Vermifilter.com
www.vermifilter.com

• former member

Maria, We have two trained GSAP Microflush toilet MAKERs in Ethiopia, Adane and Lakechew, who have both posted here. WE are hoping to secure some startup funding for their tool sets and materials for their first two toilets. The similar Biofil toilet is a Ghana enterprise whereas GSAP's approach has been to train MAKERs to have their own enterprise in their communities - sustainable business model with a sustainable toilet! To date, we have trained toilet MAKERs in 18 countries around the world. Feel free to contact me if you want more info about the GSAP Microflush toilet and the MAKER model.
..Steve This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

++++++++
The following user(s) like this post: marrath

• marrath

Dear Adane,

I am working currently on a decision-support model for sustainable and appropriate sanitation systems. My case study area is Arba Minch, Ethiopia. In this work, I am also considering to include the Biofil toilet as one of the technology options.
Do you know if Biofil toilets are available and already applied in Ethiopia? Or do you think that it is not appropriate since it is a company based in Ghana? But maybe other vermicomposting technologies would be appropriate for the use in Ethiopia?
I would like to hear what you think about this. It seems like you have a lot of knowledge about it.

With best regards,
Maria

• adanesew

In my view I want this to be modified into sustainable and user friendly wastewater treatment system that is applicable and modernized in the setting of my own country, Ethiopia. Mainly, as this system is an individual based treatment system, I think it is also possible to scale-up in to communal Faecal sludge treatment plant where there is no specific advanced treatment system existing at the moment in developing countries. I am therefore thinking whatever means to up-grade this system into a municipal scale. As I did this research being a student in Ghana, I didn't further proceed with it, however I am trying my best to further work on improving and up-grading the system as part of my PhD work. To realize my dream I am trying my best to get funding sources and promoter to work with.

Kindly yours

Adane Sewhunegn
Lecturer of waste management and treatment technologies
Hawassa University, Ethiopia
Adane Sewhunegn Molla, Environmental Engineer(MSc)
Lecturer, Dept. of Public and Environmental Health
Hawassa University, College of Health Sciences
Hawassa, Ethiopia
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. OR
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• goeco

Adane: Congratulations on publishing your excellent and useful work. In your presentation you recommend a number of areas for further work. What would you like to see happen next that capitalises on your results to date to move forward regarding treatment of the liquid effluent?

Steve: Thanks for the update on progress with the GSAP microflush programme, production of the fabrication guide and your filtrate processing system. Would you be able to make a copy of the guide available for me to review and give feedback on?

Diane: I agree with all your points. The open source model brings together a community of users and providers – where the users are in the drivers seat and set the agenda, while the providers only help to realize it. However, universal access is paramount to this model so that all developers have the opportunity to contribute to the improvement of the system. In this case a wiki would be a useful tool for development of the guide, with review of release candidates followed by publication of each release.

Thanks all for your replies

cheers
Dean
Vermifilter.com
www.vermifilter.com
The following user(s) like this post: DianeKellogg

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds