Dry toilets in Ethiopia at a school, close to Holeta or Addis

Page selection:
  • marrath
  • Currently I am writing my master thesis on sustainable sanitation in developing countries with a case study in Arba Minch, Ethiopia. My study program is: Civil Engineering and Water Management

Re: Dry toilets in Ethiopia

Hello Manuel,

In Arba Minch, I only know that Fossa Alterna and UDDT ecosan technologies were implemented.
Yes sure, if you want to talk more via Skype (is it working now? it didn't while I was in Arba Minch..), contact me via Email (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.).

All the best,
Maria

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • nolete
    Topic Author

Hello Maria,

thank you very much for your response. I already wrote Adene and Steve for more information.

I have also read about your work. I find it really interesting!. Actually we have to define which ecosan system are we going to build in Walmera. Which systems would you recommend us to visit in Arba Minch? Do you have some additional help? Would you have some time for a conference?.

Best regards,
Manuel

• marrath
  • Currently I am writing my master thesis on sustainable sanitation in developing countries with a case study in Arba Minch, Ethiopia. My study program is: Civil Engineering and Water Management

Hello Manuel,

there are several aspects to consider when choosing a sanitation technology. For information about the technologies I would suggest the Compendium of Sanitation by Tilley et. al. 2014. There, the different technologies are well described.

I only have experience in Arba Minch, in the Southern Region of Ethiopia. During the ROSA project (Resource-oriented Sanitation), UDDT's (Urine diverting dry toilets) and Fossa Alterna Toilets have been implemented in schools. I am not completely sure, but I think the Fossa Alterna Toilets are working well whereas the UDDT's have issues with the emptying service. The association that was responsible for this has stopped working because it was not profitable I think.
I am attaching a document on the ROSA project.

Unfortunately I do not know about projects near to Addis.

Maybe Adane Sewhunegn (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) can be helpful though. He is lecturer of waste management and treatment technologies at Hawassa University, and working on the GSAP microflush toilet. (see: forum.susana.org/forum/categories?func=v...870&limit=1000#20117)

Kind regards,
Maria

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• nolete
    Topic Author

Dry toilets in Ethiopia at a school, close to Holeta or Addis

Hello,

I am volunteer in an NGO that wants to improve and extend a School in Ethiopia. We need to build toilets for the students. Our first proposal was to build dry toilets but after the design phase the cooperative that has to provide the company to build it, said that thay cannot build it. The want to build pit latrines because it is what they know.

It would be very helpful for us to visit some already working toilets close to Holeta or Addis. If some has contact in Ethiopia or knows a design that is working there would be great.

Best regards,
Manuel

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds