Latrines Design - is there is a good book or guidelines you can recommend for the design of single and twin pit latrines, ventilated improved pits and fossa alternas

17.9k views

Page selection:
  • Mnyororo
  • I am working with Local NGOs called Sustainable Environment Management Action based in Tanzania as Program Officer for WASH project,

Re: Reply: Latrines Design - is there is a good book or guidelines you can recommend for the design of single and twin pit latrines, ventilated improved pits and fossa alternas

Dear Elisabeth

I mean double vault pit latrine which comprises hand washing unit, urinal system, hygiene unit, special room for disability, incinerator for girls and for boys should have hand washing facility, urinal system, special room for disability.

Regards
Mnyororo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • kharallaxman

Re: Latrines Design - is there is a good book or guidelines you can recommend for the design of single and twin pit latrines, ventilated improved pits and fossa alternas

Hi, here is the WHO one form 1992, while going through the replies quickly I did not notice this thus am sharing it. Though a bit old, I find it very classical and I still refer to it.
www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/hygi...envsan/onsitesan.pdf

Thanks, Laxman
Asia WASH Adviser, Terre des hommes (50%)
The following user(s) like this post: cecile

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Reply: Latrines Design - is there is a good book or guidelines you can recommend for the design of single and twin pit latrines, ventilated improved pits and fossa alternas

Dear Charles Mnyororo,

When you say "Can I get a full design of double vault" do you mean a pit latrine or a urine-diverting dry toilet?
If the former, have you checked the materials by CAWST which Mughal recently pointed out to us here:
forum.susana.org/forum/categories/141-ot...ials-by-cawst-canada ?

I assume this kind of toilet design would be covered in their materials.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• shrikantbhate

Dear friend,
read your mail in Susan A forum and wish to answer as follows,
1.I think urine diverting toilet is a good solution considering acute water shortage in all the countries.
2. Urine is a very good nitrogen fertilizer and can be used to increase agri production.
3 Ready to install toilets fabricated out of steel frame will reduce on site work and will result in many
toilet installation in short amount of time.
4. Excreta will be stored in closed containers for longer amount of time and pathogen elimination will
take place with solar heating and good ventilation.

5 Twin pit latrines will have a problem of emptying transporting etc which we can avoid.

6 Toilet seat is a precast concrete slab which will be produced on the site. Rest of the toilet materials
will be procured locally only and will be constructed with local labour.

Two drawings showing the plinth construction with toilet seat and arrangement of removing the containers from the back side.

One drg showing ready to install fabricated toilet .

we can discuss more and come out with suitable solution for your area.

This toilet is designed for washers but it can be modified to suit wipers also.

please see the drawings

--
Prof.Shrikant Bhate.
Architect and Social Entrepreneur.
D-9, Durvankur Society I,Panchavati.
Pashan. Pune 411008.
R:020-2589 9527
Mobile:91-09890440648

This message has attachments files.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Mnyororo
  • I am working with Local NGOs called Sustainable Environment Management Action based in Tanzania as Program Officer for WASH project,

Re: Latrines Design - is there is a good book or guidelines you can recommend for the design of single and twin pit latrines, ventilated improved pits and fossa alternas

Dear All

Can i get a full design of double vault. Any one can help me because am expecting to implement it

• pkjha
  • Working for over 30 years in the fields of sanitation, biogas from human wastes, septage management, waste water treatment in rural as well as urban areas in India and other developing countries.

Hi
There are several toilet technologies used in different countries. Selection of technologies is based on the socio-economic and cultural conditions. One can find detail design and drawing of twin pit pour flush toilets, toilet linked biogas plant and Balram model toilet in the book- Handbook on Technical options for on-site sanitation for rural areas, that was released by the Ministry of Drinking water and sanitation, Govt. of India May 2012, link-http://www.indiawaterportal.org/sites/indiawaterportal.org/files/handbook-on-_technical-options-for-on-site-sanitation-modws-2012_0.pdf
A comparative assessment of some technologies is attached.

regards
pawan
Pawan Jha
Chairman
Foundation for Environment and Sanitation
Mahavir Enclave
New Delhi 110045, India
Web: www.foundation4es.org
Linked: linkedin.com/in/drpkjha

This message has an attachment file.

• Rod

Hi

I'm not sure whether this quite meets your query, but you may be interested in the WEDC Guides many of which cover latrines including VIP and twin-pit latrines (free to download).

wedc.lu/wedc-guides

Kind regards

Rod

• KaiMikkel
  • Toilet Activist

Sofia - Although its focus is on backcountry (remote areas) ecological sanitation toilets in use in the United States, this publication (written in English) might be of use to you, particularly since it provides practical information like designs and drawings, material lists, construction instructions, etc. for site-built fossa alternas:

Backcountry Sanitation Manual, 2nd Edition

:)
Kai Mikkel Førlie

Founding Member of Water-Wise Vermont (formerly Vermonters Against Toxic Sludge)

• sofmo88
    Topic Author

Thank you very much for all the info.

Best regards
Sofía Murillo Ortiz
MSc Sanitation Student
IHE Delft

• canaday
  • A biologist working toward sustainability

Dear Sofía,

Thanks for these details. The video on the Facebook page is beautiful.

My wife and I would be glad to talk via Skype with you and selected Spanish-speaking community members, if you like, to help discuss options ... and I think it would be especially useful for the community members to hear about this from of other indigenous persons, like my wife.

I keep thinking the ArborLoo is a great option to explore.

Best wishes,
Chris
Conservation Biologist and EcoSan Promoter
Omaere Ethnobotanical Park
Puyo, Pastaza, Ecuador, South America
inodoroseco.blogspot.com
The following user(s) like this post: sofmo88

• sofmo88
    Topic Author

Thank you Cecile for your advice.

I'll will try to answer all your concerns Canaday:

1. We are considering and trying to involve all the community in this project, at least with some leaders because the others don't speak Spanish, this will need a lot of pacience and some technics because most of the population does not read or understand a lot the technical terms of a WWTS. Between the cultural things we need to consider is that in the ir beliefs Wastewater is like a"demon" to put it in some way, so they won't be handling or manteining anything that has to do with Wastewater.
2. We are not imposing them this tecnology because they already use it, but they do it in a bad way.
3. The budget is not a problem,as a public and social institution we will covered this project.
4. I hope that during the project and when we finish it we'll teach them how to use the facilities
5. In this Facebook profile you can find some info about the community www.facebook.com/pages/Somos-Alto-Telire/701750173239471
6. The rate of fecally transmited disease and parasitism is high, that's one of the reasons we want to build the Health center as near as possible because to go to the nearest clinique they have to walk around 4 or 6 days or call the national guards or police so they can be transported by helicopter to the hospital, the access to this region is so limited that all the construction materials have to be from local sources, almost nothing can be constructed using concrete (only wood) and heavy materials that cant be transported by helicopter.
7. this week we made some infiltration tests with Porchet method, soon I ll get the results and then I can share them with you.
8.thanks for your interest can you give me your email? I will love to share the results of this project with you.
Sofía Murillo Ortiz
MSc Sanitation Student
IHE Delft
Attachments:
The following user(s) like this post: canaday

• former member

A couple options from what we have developed in Cambodia. I echo the other comments, use these designs for inspiration. It is absolutely essential that you talk to users and supply chain actors to see what latrine types/features/materials/etc. they prefer.

Blake

++++++++
Note by moderators: This post was made by a former user with the login name BlakeMcK who is no longer a member of this discussion forum.

This message has attachments files.

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds