Where there is no drinking water (Nigeria)

Page selection:
  • F H Mughal
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

Re: Where there is no drinking water

Lack of availability of drinking water is now a common problem. Water service providers provide water where they can mint money; ordinary citizens get no water. And, even when water is available, it is not potable and safe.

The NGOs and the community organizations need to build pressure, but sadly, this is also lacking.

F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan
The following user(s) like this post: kocsy

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Mwesige
  • Let us work together and make a difference in water and sanitation systems

Re: Where there is no drinking water

Thank you for bringing this to sight. I believe it is important that key stakeholders are involved in this matter that is under mention. There are models where private sector players have been involved in water supply, majorly tap water and other sanitation programs. We do not have to privatise all the services but have programs as governments that promote partnerships. There are Public-private partnerships (PPPs) that have made a difference in water supply and sanitation projects for the urban and communities. I know World Bank, giz and etcetera have supported this cause. In this context, Public-private partnerships (PPPs) can be viewed as one of the tools (among others) available to governments for improving the performance and financial sustainability of the water sector that includes drinking water. I believe the government of Nigeria should look at these PPP models.

Kind regards,
Gerald Mwesige
The following user(s) like this post: kocsy

• kocsy
    Topic Author

Where there is no drinking water

Around the world people are working to protect their rights to health, including the right to a good supply of safe water. In Nigeria, private companies say they can provide better service than Government and still make profit. But when private companies takes control of water services, I mean water privatization , prices often go up, forcing people to use less water than they need for good health. It is this that makes people collects water wherever they can, in as much as it is at no cost, even if the water is contaminated with germs or toxic chemicals. They really don’t care.Image result for where there is no water picture
Tap water provided by Government is not rushing and when it rushes, it is with particles and with odour often times. They say the water is clean but I know it is not safe. You see, when people begin not to trust water from taps, those who can afford turn and buy packaged – table water or bottled water. But just because water in packaged in polythene leather or bottled, does not mean it is safe. In short, in many cases this packaged or bottled water is just tap water in a bottle, but sold at a much higher price. Those packaged in polythene are referred as “Pure water” in common parlance and are often with impurities. Because of chemical reaction between the polythene and water including its exposure to sunlight, a lot of health damages is done when consumed.
Companies sell bottled water because it is very profitable. They often advertise their water products in way and banner that people think that water from tap is not healthy or good enough. That packaged or bottled bottle is cleaner. But safe healthy piped water systems are one of the most important ways to improve health for everyone. In Europe and North America for instance; where safe water systems are the very foundation of public health, is what I envy. I find it difficult to understand why we suffer from lack of water in Africa. Water is everywhere in my village but there is no safe water to drink any where. Water to drink is just too expensive to buy and drink satisfactorily. Yet they say water is life.
Having enough clean water is not just enough but safe. Safe water to live a healthy life is human rights. Protecting and fulfilling people’s rights to water in my view, could be achievable when publicly managed or community controlled water systems are put in place in Africa. Governments and communities begins to work together to improve and extend water systems so they can provide safe and sufficient supply of water, especially for those of us most in need. Think water, think life. Make safe water available to poor and vulnerable if you can.
Dennis Ekwere

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.062 seconds