TOPIC: Sanitary Pad burner/incinierator design

Sanitary Pad burner/incinierator design 05 Jan 2012 12:20 #821

• inajurga
  • CONTACT
  • Head of WASH in Schools, WASH United
Featured User
Jul 2014
Dear all!

i am looking for design examples for simple low cost sanitary napkin incinerators/burners, preferable for schools or for public toilets.

such as in this picture
NewincineratorpictureMAKA.jpg

or here:
Gachoireoverviewtoiletshower.jpg

I am also looking forward if anyone can share some more practical experiences as well, either in this forum or directly by email This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

WSSCC is planning to compile a data file on MHM. And while screening companies for sanitary pads vendor and incinerators (mostly based in India), i tend to prefer the low cost option i because schools can eventually built it themselves.
Head of WASH in Schools
WASH United
www.wash-united.org

Re: Sanitary Pad burner/incinierator design 06 Jan 2012 03:40 #831

• jkeichholz
  • CONTACT
Ina,

probably the brick-built solution is cheaper than the metal version.

The pictured incinerator first reminded me of the re:char biochar kiln:

www.re-char.com/buy/
www.fastcompany.com/1805296/jason-arambu...echar-biochar-africa

..which sells for USD 290 in the US, but is also locally made in Kenya in a trial for 25-30 USD. They also just received a grant from Gates Foundation and I would love to see this re:char kiln combined with JaniPads (www.janipad.com/) and/or MakaPads (www.irinnews.org/report.aspx?reportid=88359) to keep it organic and plastic-free.

Else, I believe that most of these locally made normal incinerators in Africa just aren't well documented by local entrepreneurs (due to IPRs, manpower, etc.), which is why most of the stuff we can find online is from Asia or the US.

Kenya:
From my "bible", The Wilderness Guardian
ISBN 9966498265

IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_0038.JPG

IMG_0039.JPG

And then this case study from UNICEF in Tamil Nadu:
ddws.gov.in/sites/upload_files/ddws/file..._study_tamilnadu.pdf
(with a contact)

Other recommended resources for documented low-cost, low-tech approaches:
www.cd3wd.com/cd3wd_40/cd3wd/index.htm
www.instructables.com
practicalaction.org/browse-and-download-answers

Uhm, I believe you already checked all of these and also googled for it.
The 2nd pic you posted is from Gachoire Girl's High School in Kagwe, Kenya. Maybe Christian R. can organize a technical drawing of that incinerator?
Juergen Eichholz
watsan eng.
water, sanitation, IT & knowledge management
www.saniblog.org
Last Edit: 06 Jan 2012 04:21 by jkeichholz.

Re: Sanitary Pad burner/incinierator design 06 Jan 2012 12:26 #834

• inajurga
  • CONTACT
  • Head of WASH in Schools, WASH United
Featured User
Jul 2014
Hi Juergen

Thanks for all the links and materials - especially the Tamil Nadu one , which i did not find previously (..?...). That was exactly what i was looking for!

jajaja, the wilderness Guardian - can come in handy in Eschborn and i will definately check the "instructables" during weekend for 7layer cookies

INA
Head of WASH in Schools
WASH United
www.wash-united.org

Re: Sanitary Pad burner/incinierator design 07 Jan 2012 21:16 #846

• jkeichholz
  • CONTACT
Karibu!
I also just realized that there's some good material when I google for "Maka Pads".

E.g. www.questafrica.org/Mkmusaazi.aspx
Juergen Eichholz
watsan eng.
water, sanitation, IT & knowledge management
www.saniblog.org

Re: Sanitary Pad burner/incinierator design 13 Feb 2013 08:22 #3467

• Ewoods
  • CONTACT
  • Co-Founder of Sanivation
So, i have been looking into small incinerators for Sanitary Pads and even used the previous mentioned design in designing one here in Naivasha, Kenya. It defiantly gets VERY hot. With only 25ksh worth of charcoal (1/2 a small bucket) we are trying to burn about 50L of compressed waste. Attached is a picture of the current incinerator. The idea is to now attach it to a women's toilet so they will have direct access of disposing sanitary pads without anyone seeing or knowing. Then once a month, when it is full, a small amount of charcoal or wood will be used to hopefully properly burn the sanitary pads.

my question out there is how do we KNOW that the waste is burning properly?
Co-Founder of Sanivation
Sanitation Engineer working with solar FS treatment
The following user(s) like this post: Doreen

Re: Sanitary Pad burner/incinierator design 13 Feb 2013 09:40 #3471

• AquaVerde
  • CONTACT
Dear inajurga,

I had recently help on a similar incinerator question,

from Toby Gould, Technical Support Services Manager, of RedR, London, www.redr.org.uk (people and skills for disaster relief), Technical Support Service: (Free for all humanitarian workers, for details see our website or contact This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ),

maybe it is helpful to you too:

I have no experience of the design of the medical facilities, but there has been a lot of development work on incinerators for small medical facilities that can be accessed here: www.mw-incinerator.info/en/101_welcome.html

The de Montfort incinerator is considered very good for small to medium sized health facilities and Jim Pickens, who designed it at de Montfort University would be willing to answer questions if necessary.

Regards,
Detlef SCHWAGER
www.aqua-verde.de
Sanitation-Solutions without external energy
Low-Tech Solutions with High-Tech Effects
"Inspired by Circular Economy"
www.flickr.com/photos/aqua-verde/
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.38 seconds