Ecuador Earthquake: Can we put together support for sustainable emergency relief and reconstruction?

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Ecuador Earthquake: Can we put together support for sustainable emergency relief and reconstruction ?

Dear Chris,
Thanks for your forum post and bringing this to our attention! It will be gone from international news in a couple of days so all the more important to hear from someone who is in the "know".

You asked:

Do any of you work in institutions that will be participating in emergency relief and reconstruction after the Ecuador Earthquake? Among others, I have seen that the Red Cross, UNDP and the USA are actively involved.

It would indeed be interesting to hear from those who are now actively involved in Ecuador, particularly in the reconstruction part. We don't have many people from Red Cross or UNDP or USAID posting on this forum - it would be good to change this somehow.

Dear Neal,

thanks a lot for letting us know about this guide! This is learning from another sector (in this case "health"), at its best. The powerpoint is really simple and clear to read.

For those who don't like to access Dropbox links, I have downloaded it and added it below. I also compressed the powerpoint file to make it more manageable. And I've added below the report itself, from which the powerpoint file was derived.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

This message has attachments files.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • neilpw

Re: Reply: Ecuador Earthquake: Can we put together support for sustainable emergency relief and reconstruction ?

Dear Chris and all,

I facilitate a global network called HIFA (Heaalthcare Information For All) that collaborates with SuSanA. This week a guide was distributed called 'Dos and Don'ts in Disasters'. (with thanks to Fiona Stephenson, Nepal)

"When disasters such as the recent earthquakes in Japan and Ecuador strike, there is always a huge amount of goodwill from rehabilitation professionals around the world who wish to use their skills to support those affected. This brief guidance, developed with and endorsed by ISCOS, ISPO, ISPRM, WCPT and WFOT, is aimed at all those who are interested in responding to disasters. It highlights key questions to consider, and emphasises that rehabilitation professionals should only respond internationally to disasters as part of established international organisations, or as a member of a registered emergency medical team."

ISPRM have also kindly turned the guide into a presentation that you can download for your own societies to use here:https://www.dropbox.com/s/xl7d9yryez98172/Responding%20Internationally%20to%20Disasters.ppt?dl=0

With best wishes, Neil

Let's build a future where people are no longer dying for lack of healthcare knowledge - Join HIFA: www.hifa2015.org
Neil Pakenham-Walsh is coordinator of the HIFA global health campaign (Healthcare Information For All - www.hifa.org ), a global community with more than 19,000 members in 177 countries, interacting on six global forums in four languages. Twitter: @hifa_org FB: facebook.com/HIFAdotORG This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• canaday
    Topic Author
  • A biologist working toward sustainability

Ecuador Earthquake: Can we put together support for sustainable emergency relief and reconstruction?

Dear all,

The earthquake last Saturday registered a huge 7.8 on the Richter Scale. Over 400 fatalities have been counted so far and the physical damage is also immense.

I live on the Amazonian side of Ecuador, where we barely felt the quake, so I and my family are all fine.

It would be great to help apply Sustainable Sanitation during the relief effort and the reconstruction of cities and homes.

During the relief effort, simple and inexpensive UDDTs and Waterless Urinals (as I have published on inodoroseco.blogspot.com) would be very practical and environmentally friendly.

During reconstruction, ABRs, treatment wetlands, up-scale UDDTs (incl. in high-rise apartments, for which I have plans in mind), and maybe even Closed-loop Blackwater Recycling could be applied. The affected areas were already suffering from water scarcity, questionable drinking water quality, and a general lack of adequate wastewater treatment. This is all the more critical since tourism is very important in the affected areas and this hinges on the environment being clean. Many people depend on shallow wells, with wastewater going back into the aquifer at close range.

Do any of you work in institutions that will be participating in emergency relief and reconstruction after the Ecuador Earthquake? Among others, I have seen that the Red Cross, UNDP and the USA are actively involved.

Let's try to mobilize solidarity during this sort of natural calamities.

All ideas and suggestions would be very welcome.

Best wishes,
Chris Canaday
Conservation Biologist and EcoSan Promoter
Omaere Ethnobotanical Park
Puyo, Pastaza, Ecuador, South America
inodoroseco.blogspot.com
The following user(s) like this post: HAPitot

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds