Kampala WASH Symposium with integrated 21st SuSanA Meeting - in Kampala, Uganda, 20-23 June 2016 - with feedback

35k views

Page selection:
  • ledoux

Re: Reply: Brainstorming the Kampala WASH Symposium

Dear Annkathrin,

I am very glad to share my thoughts and expectations during the Kampala WASH Symposium!

1) What are your expectations and hopes to come out of the Symposium?

-New positive ways of thinking:

Over the past decade the emphasis has shifted from simply providing access to WASH facilities for most of society to ensuring equity and inclusiveness (WASH for everyone) and sustainability (WASH all the time, always). There has been increased integration between water, sanitation, hygiene and health actors and activities, and increased attention on social processes, governance arrangements and the ways in which behaviors change, to help ensure progress is sustained;

2) What do you want to learn?

- On how to plan and to sustain WASH services - considering factors such as climate change, population growth, change in land use, urbanization and changing lifestyles
coordinating government, community and private sector roles; strategies for basin-wide cooperation such as water stewardship in WASH and emergency WASH.

3) What are your thoughts on the topic of the Symposium "From Projects to Services: WASH Sustainability through Whole Systems Approaches"

The proposed topic of the Kampala WASH Symposium goes in line with the Sustainable Development Goal 6 pointing out the objective to “ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all”.

Kind regards
Ledoux

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • antakarutimana

Re: Reply: Brainstorming the Kampala WASH Symposium

Dear Organisers of the Kampala WASH Symposium
Warm greetings

I would like the following during the Symposium:

- 1) A good discussion on different approaches and their implementation process for behaviour change and sustainability of WASH services

- 2) I want to learn from experiences and results on integration WASH Nutrition from strategy, to institutional arrangement and resources

- 3) My thoughts on the topic of the Symposium "From Projects to Services: WASH Sustainability through Whole Systems Approaches" is that from discussions we will (1) try to fill the gap from policy to practice, (2) discuss on what makes better results and (3) get facts to inform WASH projects' implementation for sustainable services.

I thank you very much for the efforts to make the Symposium a "Unique occasion" for passionate Key WASH Actors and wish you all the best

My Best regards
Amans Ntakarutimana
Rwanda

• mwaniki

Re: Brainstorming the Kampala WASH Symposium

Hi Anne,

According to Population Estimates and Projections in Sub-Sahara Africa and Asia are 1.4 billion and 4.3 billion respectively by 2030. That will be 67% of the total world’s population of about 8.5 billion. Although Devex reports that extreme poverty is expected to drop by 4.9 percent, UN estimates that by 2030 nearly half the global population could be facing water scarcity. Demand could outstrip supply by 40 percent.

WHO, JMP 2015 reports are that today, almost 2.5 billion do not have access to adequate sanitation. ......At current rates of reduction, open defecation will not be eliminated among the poorest in rural areas by 2030.

Hygiene - There was no specific target on hygiene in the MDGS, however its health benefits are significant and linked to adequate water and sanitation. The JMP covers hygiene practices in its data gathering. Data from over 50 countries show low levels of handwashing in many countries. In sub-Saharan Africa, in the 38 countries for which data are available, it is at best 50%.

These reports are not at all encouraging. I would like to hear from the experts in the Symposium what planning, investment in people, social support and policies are being put in place by governments and agencies to manage these challenges by the 2030 when the SDG number 6 which aims to ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all is supposed to be realized.

Kind regards / Mwaniki
Am the publisher of the Africa Water,Sanitation & Hygiene and the C.E.O. of Transworld Publishers Ltd.,Nairobi-Kenya.

• annetempel
    Topic Author
  • I work for GIZ's sustainable sanitation programme

Re: Brainstorming the Kampala WASH Symposium

Dear all,

Only four weeks to go to the Kampala WASH Symposium. The preparations are in full swing - and you can get involved!

You are invited to share and discuss your thoughts and expectations. It will help the organising committee to address your questions and include your ideas in the best possible way.

-What are your expectations and hopes to come out of the Symposium?
-What do you want to learn?
-What are your thoughts on the topic of the Symposium "From Projects to Services: WASH Sustainability through Whole Systems Approaches"

Information about the general concept of the event and the draft agenda are available at the Symposium's website: www.kampalawashsymposium.org/

The SuSanA secretariat together with the organising committee looks very much forward to receiving your input!

Best,
Annkathrin (on behalf of the SuSanA secretariat)
GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Programme
Division for Climate Change, Environment & Infrastructure

The following user(s) like this post: ledoux

• annetempel
    Topic Author
  • I work for GIZ's sustainable sanitation programme

Re: Kampala WASH Symposium with integrated 21st SuSanA Meeting - in Kampala, Uganda, 20-23 June 2016 + WG meetings

Dear Daniel,
thank you very much for your interest to attend the Kampala WASH Symposium.
From your previous message I assume that you have applied for a scholarship from the organisers of the Symposium. The scholarship applications are currently reviewed and the organising committee will get back to you with an answer in the upcoming days.

Thanks for your patience.

Best regards,
Annkathrin (on behalf of the SuSanA secretariat)
GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Programme
Division for Climate Change, Environment & Infrastructure

• ddiba
  • Research Associate at Stockholm Environment Institute and Co-lead of SuSanA WG5

Re: Kampala WASH Symposium with integrated 21st SuSanA Meeting - in Kampala, Uganda, 20-23 June 2016 + WG meetings

Dear Secretariat,

I am wondering of it is possible to get some sort of confirmation for participating in the Kampala WASH symposium.
The website says:

Please note that completion of this form does not guarantee you a spot at the Kampala WASH Symposium. Organizers will be in touch with next steps for confirming participation.

I am trying to get funding for my travel but it is difficult without any kind of formal letter from the symposium organizers and that quote from the website doesn't make it any easier. Could you please advise how I can go about this? And if it is possible to get some form of confirmation for registered participants or a letter/email soon?

Regards,
Daniel
Daniel Ddiba
Co-lead for SuSanA WG5: Productive sanitation and food security
Research Associate at Stockholm Environment Institute
www.sei.org/revamp
LinkedIn: Daniel Ddiba
Twitter: @DanielDdiba

• secretariat
  • SuSanA secretariat currently allocates 2 full time person equivalents of time from members of GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Team: Arne Panesar, Alexandra Dubois, Maren Heuvels, Teresa Häberlein, Daphne Manolakos and Bettina-Sophie Heinz.

Re: Agenda of the Kampala WASH Symposium

Dear SuSanA community,

attached you can find the detailed Agenda for the Kampala WASH Symposium.

Please also do not forget to submit your proposals for a lunchtime "Pecha Kucha" presentation, a booth at the Innovative Partnership Expo, or a side Event, as the Deadline (May 6th) is approaching with big steps! www.kampalawashsymposium.org/#be-part-of-the-program

Kind regards

Raphaela
On behalf of the SuSanA Secretariat
Posted by a member of the SuSanA secretariat held by the GIZ Sector Program Water Policy – Innovations for Resilience
Located at Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Bonn, Germany
Follow us on facebook: www.facebook.com/susana.org, linkedin: www.linkedin.com/company/sustainable-sanitation-alliance-susana and twitter: twitter.com/susana_org

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• antakarutimana

Re: Kampala WASH Symposium with integrated 21st SuSanA Meeting - in Kampala, Uganda, 20-23 June 2016

Dear Shrutha

Warm greetings

Many thanks for the message. It has been useful to me.

My best regards

Amans ntakarutimana
Kigali Rwanda

• bernardmiti

Re: KAMPALA SYMPOSIUM

Please find attached, as dead line comes to an end on 6th May, 2016,We hope to meet in Kampala soon. Regards, Bernard MitiCountry DirectorZambia WASHE Advocacy Network+260- 0977748000Lusaka, Zambia.

Attachement

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• bernardmiti

Re: [SuSanA forum] Kampala WASH Symposium with integrated 21st SuSanA Meeting - in Kampala, Uganda, 20-23 June 2016 (SuSanA meetings)

The Zambia WASHE Advocacy Network contribution is to look at Manegement of slugdg, Zambia is too far to manage this, we hope attending this very importand conference will be able to copy some of the experiences from other organisation that are implementing, as you are aware, Zambia is in bad state as we have huge challenge interms of catching up with the CHOLERA epidemeic in Zambia but,due to small funds we are slowly making a head way in the sanitation milege, the symposium has come at a write time so that we can learn from others.

Regards,

Bernard Miti
Country Director
Zambia WASHE Advocacy Network
Lusaka,Zambia.

• secretariat
  • SuSanA secretariat currently allocates 2 full time person equivalents of time from members of GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Team: Arne Panesar, Alexandra Dubois, Maren Heuvels, Teresa Häberlein, Daphne Manolakos and Bettina-Sophie Heinz.

Re: Kampala WASH Symposium with integrated 21st SuSanA Meeting - in Kampala, Uganda, 20-23 June 2016

Dear Amans,

The engagement opportunities for the Kampala WASH Symposium are now published on the Symposium’s website and we are very much looking forward to applications until 6 May.

You can find more information here. www.kampalawashsymposium.org/#be-part-of-the-program

Best wishes,

Shrutha
On behalf of the SuSanA secretariat
Posted by a member of the SuSanA secretariat held by the GIZ Sector Program Water Policy – Innovations for Resilience
Located at Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Bonn, Germany
Follow us on facebook: www.facebook.com/susana.org, linkedin: www.linkedin.com/company/sustainable-sanitation-alliance-susana and twitter: twitter.com/susana_org

• antakarutimana

Dear SuSanA Secretariat

Warm greetings. Do we have to send some abstracts for presentation. if so, when is the deadline for abstract submission?

We are eager to participating to the Symposium in Kampala

Amans Ntakarutimana
Senior Lectrurer / University of Rwanda
Programme Manager/ Africa AHEAD

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds