The use of menstrual cups in humanitarian situations

Page selection:
  • Doreen
    Topic Author

Re: The use of menstrual cups in humanitarian situations

Thank you for this information and you are right! Menstrual cups are quite a vast improvement!

I am also quite excited to know whether you have any data or whether you know of any area (humanitarian setting) where menstrual cups were implemented.

We look forward to your further feedback :-)

Best regards

Doreen
Doreen Mbalo

GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Programme
Policy Advisor in Bonn, Germany
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
E This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

This sounds really encouraging! Do you have any data or reports to back up these statements? Can we be sure you are right?
May I ask where you work (just curious)?

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• shinnam

Using menstrual cups where there is not water for hygenic use is not a problem. I myself have used urine to rinse the cup and re-insert the cup. There may be an intial "yuck" factor, but in humanitarian situtations one gets over the yuck.

In some yoga traditions, urine is used for daily washing. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine

As for the sharing of cups, if the cup is cleaned, and sun dried for a few hours, there should be little chance of disease communication. Additionally silicone materials are resistant to bacteria.

Menstrual cups are a vast improvement over any traditional means of dealing with menstrual hygene.
The following user(s) like this post: Doreen

• Doreen
    Topic Author

The use of menstrual cups in humanitarian situations

Hi,

First and foremost, it goes without saying that menstrual cups have the potential to be one of the most economical and sustainable products on the market and could revolutionise and create a paradigm shift in the context of menstrual management for women in developing countries and in humanitarian situations.

However analysing this in a humanitarian context, what are the dangers in using a menstrual cup in such situations? Could it be, that the menstrual cup may cause more harm than good due to the fact that women who live in refugee sites, do not have access to clean water and sanitation facilities therefore are prone to infections and sharing of cups?

I think the benefits outweigh the risks though if proper awereness raising is carried out. Isn't it better to have something rather than nothing? What is more hygienic and sustainable? Using old clothes that are not washed properly, dirty reused pads or menstrual cups that can last several years? Isn't the amount of water required to wash the cup very little anyway?

Sorry for the loads of questions but it would be great to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!
Doreen Mbalo

GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Programme
Policy Advisor in Bonn, Germany
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
E This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds