Prisons and WASH - experiences by ICENECDEV in Cameroon

Page selection:
  • pascalgarde
  • Consultant on WASH Policy and Governance

Re: Prisons and WASH - experiences by ICENECDEV in Cameroon

Dear Eric and Mughal,

This is a very interesting subject! I actually read about similar project in Uganda. You may want to have a look at this:
www.ircwash.org/blog/water-sanitation-an...-12ad09b813-53002789

This issue is particularly relevant to look at from the perspective of the human rights to water and sanitation (and other related human rights).

I would be interested in doing more research on this issue. Let me know if you want to collaborate on this. My details below:
Pascal Garde
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Best regards.
Pascal

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • F H Mughal
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

Re: Prisons and WASH - experiences by ICENECDEV in Cameroon

I think, this is for the first time that the issue of WASH in prisons has been raised. Frankly, I never thought of that. If I'm not mistaken, then, I don't think whether international agencies, like WaterAid and UNICEF, have ever raised this issue.

Are there publications on WASH in prisons and detention centers?

F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan
The following user(s) like this post: pascalgarde

• icenecdev
  • Topic Author

Prisons and WASH - experiences by ICENECDEV in Cameroon

The International Centre for Environmental Education and Community Development(ICENECDEV) and FAAFNET community based organizations with the support from the Australian Government in 2012-2013 implemented 1 year project in Prisons in the South west region in Cameroon-Central Africa with the goal to improve on the socio-economic conditions and humanizing the inmates of the prison.
It is imperative to take into consideration WASH and nutrition in prisons system especially in developing countries specifically in sub Sahara Africa facing the problem of poor nutritions,inadequate water supply and poor sanitation couple with the issue of overcrowding which seriously affect the fundamental human rights of the inmates including women.
This special set of people have little or no attention from the governments and civil society organizations of developing countries since it is not a pririority of the governments.
Our focus and attention should not be based in schools and local communities but also in prisons where we are faced with critical issues of water, hygiene and sanitation(limited toilets) which at times are poorly addressed with little or no resources impinging on the fundamental human rights of the inmates.

SuSana Forum should seriously take WASH iisues in Prisons and juvenile correction centres very important.The prisons suffered a great deal of crititical issues which need attentions.
Fongoh Eric
Coordinator ICENECDEV
Email:info@icenecdev.org
Tel:+237674033583
The following user(s) like this post: F H Mughal, pascalgarde

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds