Sharing 2D or 3D drawings (sketch-up / CAD files) of all the models of latrines / sanitation infrastructures we all developed through the years

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
    Topic Author
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Sharing 2D or 3D drawings (sketch-up / CAD files) of all the models of latrines / sanitation infrastructures we all developed through the years

Hi Erik,

We have set up a new filter function in the SuSanA library which brings up such drawings: If you have drawings that you'd like to share how about sending them to the secretariat (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) and asking them to include them in the library (in the original file format and also in pdf format)? That would be great.

You could also tell the other users more about your work with pit latrines here:
forum.susana.org/forum/categories/251-pi...a-hole-in-the-ground

Thanks a lot,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • ErikTN
  • Low-cost sanitation, design and implementation, 20 years in Africa

Re: Sharing 2D or 3D drawings (sketch-up / CAD files) of all the models of latrines / sanitation infrastructures we all developed through the years

Dear Elisabeth,

Any development in this idea since 2015?

I have worked many years with corbelling for dome-shape pit lining using dry masonry with trapezoidal shaped cement-sand building blocks, and would like to share and get some feed-back.

Regards,
Erik TN

• Elisabeth
    Topic Author
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Sharing 2D or 3D drawings (sketch-up / CAD files) of all the models of latrines / sanitation infrastructures we all developed through the years

This thread picks up from the post that Ben made here .

He said:

What about sharing a 2D-3D library (sketch-up / CAD) of all the models of latrines / sanitation infrastructures we all developped through the years. It's one thing to have a publication but it's much easier to adapt if you already have the drawing file.

Just a suggestion for the forum, I'd have a couple of things to put in.

James replied:

I love Ben's suggestion of sharing 2-D and 3-D images of latrines / sanitation infrastructure. I would love to add these to Wikipedia and an open license would allow me to do so.

I think we had a similar call for sharing of such files here in this thread in the past (this one was focussing on urine diversion toilets):
forum.susana.org/forum/categories/34-uri...orary-toilet-designs

I think it is a good idea to identify one central location where such files could be uploaded and shared in a user friendly manner.

You can find technical drawings in the SuSanA library, by using the filter function "filter by type of resource", which brings up this:
www.susana.org/en/resources/library?vbl_...=&vbl_3%5B627%5D=627

The point Ben was getting at, I think, is to have the drawings in their original file format, too. This is possible by putting it all together into a zip file and then uploading the zip file to the SuSanA library.

I think ideally the drawing should be accompanied by a short text in the library explaining some of the features of the design shown in the drawing and perhaps also how many toilets of this type have been built (estimation). Otherwise the user is confronted with a huge number of possible drawings but has no idea which one is good and which one is not, and which one he/she should use.

A user rating system of some sort might also be useful here. You can already see by the high number of views and downloads that this set of drawings and BOQs has proven to be very popular (5443 Total Views • 2031 Downloads, making it the most downloaded items of all the library entries (www.susana.org/en/resources/library/sort/download_hits-DESC)):

www.susana.org/en/resources/library/details/365
GTZ (2009). Technical drawings and BoQ of decentralised wastewater treatment system (DEWATS) - EU-SIDA-GTZ EcoSan Promotion Project. EU-SIDA-GTZ Ecosan Promotion Project, Nairobi, Kenya

What ideas do others have about possibly building up a user-friendly library of technical drawings (in the original file format) of sanitation technologies? What would be the best way? Could we make it work within the SuSanA library?

As for including drawings into Wikipedia articles, like James suggested, I am not too sure. I think the drawings we already have in the pit latrine (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_latrine) and UDDT (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine-diverting_dry_toilet) Wikipedia articles are probably sufficient for the intendeted readership, i.e. the general public. These are the drawings (or rather sketches) from the Sandec-Compendium or from WEDC. I think further technical drawings might be taking it a bit too far, wouldn't it? I also don't see technical drawings in other articles, e.g. in the one about sewage treatment: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sewage_treatment.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
The following user(s) like this post: JKMakowka, ErikTN

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds