City Partnerships for Urban Sanitation Service Delivery (BMGF and DfID funded)

22.3k views

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: City Partnerships for Urban Sanitation Service Delivery (BMGF and DfID funded)

Dear all,

I thought it would be important to answer Jonathans question from October 2014 (he had asked: "Dear Roshan, can you inform us which cities were successful out of the 11 that submitted second phase proposals?").
I received the following information from the BMGF:

The following applicants received Phase 2 funding under the DfID co-funded City Partnership RFP:
In Africa: In Asia:
In addition they (BMGF) also have other city sanitation grant (under different grant arrangements, outside of this one). For example: Orissa, Accra (Ga West), Kumasi, Khulna (the Khulna project includes two smaller towns nearby). Out of these, the Khulna project is co-funded with DfID.

All these cities gave short presentation at a meeting on 18 January 2015 in Hanoi which are available on the SuSanA website here: www.susana.org/en/resources/conference-materials-2/97-2015

I am also attaching the presentations from 18 January 2015 of those five cities that were successful with their Phase 2 application under this funding scheme "City Partnerships for Urban Sanitation Service Delivery (BMGF and DfID funded)".

Note that the presentations were only brief (about 10 minutes each) and can therefore only provide a snapshot of what is going on in those cities.

By the way: If you are interested in city sanitation projects co-funded by DFID then please see here in the new SuSanA projects database, by applying the filter button for DFID as a funding source (all these projects - 14 so far - will be populated with more details in the coming weeks and months; more projects - funded by all sorts of funding sources - are planned to be added this year):
www.susana.org/en/resources/projects?vbl...5D=&vbl_22%5B%5D=614

I wish everyone involved in these cities good luck with the implementation of these projects! Please do keep us informed of progress regularly.

Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

This message has attachments files.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Roshan
  • Program Officer, Water, Sanitation & Hygiene. Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Re: City Partnerships for Urban Sanitation Service Delivery (BMGF and DfID funded)

Hi Jonathan,

We will officially announce soon. Please give us couple of days more.

Thank you.

Roshan
Roshan Shrestha,PhD
Senior Program Officer
Global Development Division
Water, Sanitation and Hygiene
Seattle - WA
Tel: +206 770 2453
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.gatesfoundation.org

• jonpar
  • As part of the Engineering team, my role at IMC is to lead on the delivery of projects requiring specific expertise on urban sanitation (including excreta/waste/wastewater/stormwater management) focusing on technical, institutional and financial aspects in project design and implementation.

Dear Roshan, can you inform us which cities were successful out of the 11 that submitted second phase proposals? I know Freetown City Council were not successful. Given the current situation in Sierra Leone, this did not come as too great a surprise. But it was good to get some very positive feedback about the proposal submitted by FCC/GOAL/IWA. best regards, Jonathan
Dr. Jonathan Parkinson
Principal Consultant – Water and Sanitation
IMC Worldwide Ltd, Redhill, United Kingdom
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Roshan

Re: Gates Foundation-DfID partnering on sustainable sanitation for the urban poor

Sorry, it is too late. Next time...!
Roshan Shrestha,PhD
Senior Program Officer
Seattle - WA
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.gatesfoundation.org

• wambuak

Re: Gates Foundation-DfID partnering on sustainable sanitation for the urban poor

Hello,

I just found the "Gates Foundation-DfID partnering on sustainable sanitation for the urban poor" call for proposals. I realize there was a September 2013 deadline. Is this call still open? I work for Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT),Kenya. My colleagues and I would like to write a proposal in collaboration with Machakos and Makueni towns. Please let me know if there are any openings.

James
James Wambua Kaluli
JKUAT
Kenya

• Roshan

- we received 69 proposals from different cities/utilities in partnership with local NGO and consultants.

out of them 11 were selected on the basis of city and utilities commitment, their follow up project, nature of the project etc.
  • Bangladesh – Dhaka city corporation and Faridpur city
  • Nepal – Lalitpur sub metropolitan city (moderator edit on 18 Nov 2015 see here for more details: forum.susana.org/forum/categories/53-fae...ey-nepal-enpho#15937)
  • India – Warangal, Chitradurga and three small towns in Maharastra
  • Liberia – Monrovia city corporation
  • Sierra Leone- Freetowon city
  • Uganda – Kampala city authority
  • Malawi – Blantyre city
  • South Africa - eThekwini Municipality
They are willing to try and demonstrate new service and business model for sustainable sanitation (particularly on Fecal Sludge Management) delivery. We will get more on their detail proposal which they are preparing. Of course most of the cities need local support to draft proposal and conduct study for next phase.

I will write you more once we receive second phase proposal from all 11 selected cities/utilities.

Roshan
Roshan Shrestha,PhD
Senior Program Officer
Seattle - WA
www.gatesfoundation.org
The following user(s) like this post: christoph

• christoph
  • Sanitary engineer with base in Brazil and Peru, doing consultancy in other countries of LA

Hi Roshan,
I would be interested in some more information about the round 1. Is that possible?
Specifically I am interested in:
  • Knowing how many cities /utilities did take part in the process? This would give a little insight if the topic is in the awareness of the utilities or not.
  • How many projects were submitted with substantial help of a donor or better how many of the utilities were able to write a proposal just with local help? How many of these utilities came into the round of 11?
  • Could you tell us a bit about the proposals – it might be possible to learn something about “trends” – what do utilities see as a doable service model?
  • Of the eleven what are the focuses of these utilities – are they similar or very different one to the other?
  • Is there something you would consider – that is a brilliant new approach or is it more “put together systematically” what we more or less (should) know (which would be a very large step forward to have that in practice)?
  • And for my personal favorite. Is there a UDDT service concept as well?

Yours
Christoph
The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth

• Roshan

Re: RFP now open: City Partnerships for Urban Sanitation Service Delivery

Dear Giacomo,

Eleven cities from India, Bangladesh, Nepal, South Africa, Liberia and Uganda are selected for further study (Phase I) on urban sanitation/Fecal Sludge Management and to develop business models for better service delivery. Out of 11 cities few will be selected for further investment to demonstrate business models in urban sanitation. We will provide more information about the project once cities are successful in second phase.

Roshan
Roshan Shrestha,PhD
Senior Program Officer
Seattle - WA
www.gatesfoundation.org

• ggalli
  • PhD Candidate (Wageningen University) on Sanitation Governance in Gemena, DRC. Interested in governance, socio-technical approaches and politics of sanitation.

Dear Alyse,

Is there any news on this? Are there cities which have expressed interest but have not been included in a partnership consortium yet?

Thanks and best regards,
Giacomo
Giacomo Galli

• alyseschrec
    Topic Author

Ah! Jonathan, you're scooping our story!

We are still finalizing agreements with a few of the teams. Please watch for a formal announcement of teams and awards in early March. We'll post here and on our website.

Thanks for your interest and stay tuned.

Alyse
Water, Sanitation & Hygiene
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

• jonpar
  • As part of the Engineering team, my role at IMC is to lead on the delivery of projects requiring specific expertise on urban sanitation (including excreta/waste/wastewater/stormwater management) focusing on technical, institutional and financial aspects in project design and implementation.

Dear Alyse,

I know that the proposal from GOAL/IWA to support Freetown City Council received the go ahead. I think that Practical Action also received funding from BMGF/DFID for the proposal in Faridpur, Bangladesh.

I am interested to know which other cities were successful in receiving funding as part of this exciting programme.

best regards,

Jonathan
Dr. Jonathan Parkinson
Principal Consultant – Water and Sanitation
IMC Worldwide Ltd, Redhill, United Kingdom
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The following user(s) like this post: christoph

• alyseschrec
    Topic Author

Thanks for your note Christoph.

I'm glad the call resonates with people who are engaged directly in this work. Sorry we can't extend to your region, but we hope the lessons and examples will resonate beyond the project locations themselves.

Alyse
Water, Sanitation & Hygiene
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds