Water and sanitation courses at US universities

12.9k views

Page selection:
  • nazimuddin

Re: Water and sanitation courses at US universities

Hi All,

I am currently teaching a course (GEOG391: Introduction to Global WASH for Development) at the University of Victoria, Canada. It has been offered by the Department of Geography for Spring 2017 (Jan-April). This course has been designed based on my own real field experience around the world. I brief description of the course can be found on onlineacademiccommunity.uvic.ca/geog391/

It could be interesting to develop the capacity of North American Students on Global WASH, so that they could work together with global communities for overall WASH improvement.

Thanks a lot

Nazim
Sayed Mohammad Nazim Uddin, PhD
Visiting Research Associate & Sessional Lecturer
Community-based Research Laboratory (CBRLab)
Department of Geography, University of Victoria
Victoria, BC, Canada
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Assistant Professor, Environmental Sciences
Asian University for Women
20/A, M M Ali Road, Chittagong, Bangladesh
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.auw.edu.bd

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • rogerakanji

Hi Cecilia

thanks for updating us with the water and sanitation courses. We did want to carry out professional development in areas of water and sanitation.

we will out the universities out

• FrancisdelosReyes
  • I am a professor and environmental engineer at NC State University, USA. I am interested in wastewater treatment, WASH, microbial ecology.

Hello,
Just to add to the previous listing...

At North Carolina State University, we had a course on Water and Sanitation for Developing Regions in Fall 2011 (CE 497/596). The course will be offered again as CE 397 in Spring 2014. However, it is an on-campus class (you have to be on campus to take it). Hopefully in a few years, it can be offered as a distance class (can be accessed remotely).

Francis
Francis de los Reyes III
Professor/TED Fellow
The following user(s) like this post: sedyegu

• pwops

Dear smecca

Thanks for the information sharing.
This is Fida, National Coordinator (Pakistan Water Operatiors Partnership-PWOPs). Can you please elaborate pre-requisites of the subject title. Also, fee, duration, sponsored or not etc.

Further, can you please share the funding opportunity if any

Regards,

Fida Hussain

• wasifbashir15
  • Muhammad Wasif Bashir Babar

if there is any opportunity of such as courses please let me inform .
i am interesting to have a sound knowledge about WATSAN,
Mr. Muhammad Wasif Bashir Babar is son of soil of Pakistan and a very energetic young professional & Researcher in the field of Water, Ecological Sanitation, Hygiene (WASH) Climate Change, Ecosystem, and Disaster Risk Reduction. He hold Master of Science (MS) degree in Environmental Science with specialization on “Sustainable Water Sanitation Health & Development” while Master of Arts (MA) in Sociology with Specialization of Civic Engagement and Good Governance. He had been working in social & WASH development sector since 2008 with diversified national & international Research & humanitarians organizations. He is youth motivator and working to engage the young professionals in achieving the global commitments on Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) Agenda 2030 especially for SDGs 5, 6, 13 & 17. Global youth Speaker, researcher, moderator, focal person at different forums related to SDGs especially SDG 5, 6, 13 & 17.

• former member

Cecelia:
Colleges and universities will often deal with WATSAN in courses that bear titles involving Global Health. One such course at Providence College taught by a colleague in Global Studies has a major unit on water and sanitation. I recently did a session on the work of toilet group in the department of Engineering-Physics-Systems at PC in WATSAN. You might have to enlarge the search terms to find courses dealing with WATSAN. Thanks for the post.
..Steve

Stephen Mecca
Professor, Dept. Engineering-Physics-Systems
Providence College
Project Director, Ghana Sustainable Aid Project

++++++++
Note by moderators: This post was made by a former user with the login name smecca who is no longer a member of this discussion forum.
The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth, CeciliaRodrigues

• CeciliaRodrigues
    Topic Author

Dear Wasif,

I don't have further information on that. Please try to get in contact directly with the universities and professors.

Regards,
Cecília.
Programme Officer at GIZ - Sustainable Sanitation Programme
and the SuSanA Secretariat

• wasifbashir15
  • Muhammad Wasif Bashir Babar

Respected mam.
hope all the best.
I am student of Sustainable water,sanitation,Health and Development at COMSAT Institute of Information and Technology Abbottabad Campus Pakistan.
i am interested in doing and completing the courses which had told on susana website.please send me more information about it. are they offering in 2013-2014?
is there any scholarship available for this course?
duration of this course?
please send me some solid information about it.
awaiting for your soonest response
Regards

Wasif Bashir Babar
Mr. Muhammad Wasif Bashir Babar is son of soil of Pakistan and a very energetic young professional & Researcher in the field of Water, Ecological Sanitation, Hygiene (WASH) Climate Change, Ecosystem, and Disaster Risk Reduction. He hold Master of Science (MS) degree in Environmental Science with specialization on “Sustainable Water Sanitation Health & Development” while Master of Arts (MA) in Sociology with Specialization of Civic Engagement and Good Governance. He had been working in social & WASH development sector since 2008 with diversified national & international Research & humanitarians organizations. He is youth motivator and working to engage the young professionals in achieving the global commitments on Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) Agenda 2030 especially for SDGs 5, 6, 13 & 17. Global youth Speaker, researcher, moderator, focal person at different forums related to SDGs especially SDG 5, 6, 13 & 17.

• CeciliaRodrigues
    Topic Author

Water and sanitation courses at US universities

I recently came across this list of watsan courses offered by US universities at the MIT webportal on water and sanitation ( web.mit.edu/watsan/courses_uswatercourses.html ). The download links are not the most updated, but it can give some directions of where to look for it or who to talk to.

Boston University, Wastewater and Health, Fall '05, Richard Clapp and Laura Orlando

Emory University, Rollins School of Public Health, Water and Sanitation in Developing Countries, Spring '10, Christine Moe

Harvard University, Harvard School of Public Health, Water and Human Well-Being, Fall '09, John Briscoe

Stanford University, Issues in Water, Health & Development, Winter '08, Karen Levy

Stanford University, Water and sanitation infrastructure planning in developing countries, Spring 2009, Jenna Davis

Tufts University, Biology of Water and Health, Fall'09, Jeffrey Griffiths and David Gute

University of North Carolina, Global Water Sanitation & Hygiene, Spring 07, Mark Sobsey

University of Virginia, Water for the World, Jim Smith

and the one offered by the MIT .

Hope it can help somehow!

Best,
Cecília.
Programme Officer at GIZ - Sustainable Sanitation Programme
and the SuSanA Secretariat
The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth, Doreen

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds