BioSanGas System - looking for anyone with experience in this field

17k views

Page selection:
  • AquaVerde
  • "simple" Sanitation-Solutions by gravity

Re: BioSanGas System - looking for anyone with experience in this field

I am wondering about Lea's whereabouts!?
Maybe she abounded us and probably HER BioSanGas System project too... :(
Detlef
www.aqua-verde.de
"simple" Sanitation-Solutions by gravity
Low-Tech Solutions with High-Tech Effects
"Inspired by Circular Economy and Cooperation"
www.flickr.com/photos/aqua-verde/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • emmanuelkas2004
  • Mr. Kisembo Emmanuel

Indeed a lot is still needed for people to know how, when and why is bio-gas relevant and who should use it, who can install it and where can be installed and how it can be maintained.The goodness of bio-gas systems must be taught to many communities in Africa relate between bio-gas and environment mitigation and proper sanitation management.
Kisembo Emmanuel
Executive Director Team Work Afrika (TWA)
Nsambya, Makindye Road, Ave-Maria Stage P.O Box 28982 Kampala - Uganda- East - Africa
Tel: +256 (0) 712-994-236/0778-203-944
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Personal This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• PatrickBBB
  • Water and environment engineer.

canaday wrote: As I understand it, urine does not contribute significantly to biogas production (correct me, anyone, if I am wrong).

There are benefits of including urine in the substrate.
- Depending on the composition (the C/N-ratio in particular) of the substrate urine can have a significant impact on the biogas yield.
- Another point is that by using urine, the need to add water to achieve suitable dry matter content decreases or in some cases there is no need to add additional water at all.
I'm here to learn

• AquaVerde

Lea, see interview in German language from 2009 (old & still good) www.taz.de/!39519/

Wenn Kommunen keinen Eigenanteil organisieren können - super Indikator, Finger weg! Den Leuten etwas aufzuschwatzen, worin sie keinen Sinn sehen, bringt nichts.

www.aqua-verde.de

• Hans
  • Hi: working@Akvo contributing to bringing international development to life, online

New publication on biogas sanitation <> FAQ sheets <> Wiki format?

Using a wiki format to draft FAQ sheets or article pages on biogas sanitation is a logical choice in my view. A wiki is generally easy to use and to maintain both itself and the information flow. It can be more thoughtfully edited to create “best of” ideas, communications or other content. And it encourages people to contribute in their own way, on their own time. So in the end it adapts quickly to changes of information and yet keeps a history of it.

At this moment I’m working within Akvo on finalizing some new features within Akvopedia that will support new content generation by content partners. Two examples:

· A “WhatYouSeeIsWhatYouGet-editor (WYSIWYG), is being extended with new functionality like embedding photos and video and is built into Akvopedia. This editor really supports easy content generation: no coding necessary anymore

· Sections within Akvopedia can now be embedded into other platforms, see www.rain4food.net/wiki/#akvopedia:Rainwater Harvesting . On the rain4food.net website we’ve embedded the Akvopedia section on Rainwater Harvesting, any content changes in this section within Akvopedia, are immediately also published on this website.

So yes: joining forces in extending Akvopedia's Sanitation portal (www.akvopedia.org/wiki/Sanitation_Portal) would be great.

Kind regards,

Hans Merton
Hans Merton
Project manager Akvopedia @Akvo Foundation
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear all,
In reply to Christian's suggestion of a new publication on biogas sanitation (see above on 3 Feb 2014):
  1. I wonder if we really need another publication on biogas sanitation - I have the feeling there are already so many out there. The one that you mentioned by Heinz-Peter Mang and Li Zifu is already very good (yes, we have called it "draft", but that's because at the time we didn't find the time for our usual rigorous peer review process; this could still be done).
  2. If anything, I would find a publication specifically for "Biogas sanitation at schools which run kitchens" might fill a gap. Mind you, this may also partly be covered in that other publication on "Sustainable sanitation at schools" that Working Group 7 is working on? I had asked about its progress here on the forum: forum.susana.org/forum/categories/60-wg-...mit=12&start=12#7011. It is a pity if new publications get started but not finished in due course.
  3. Or maybe we rather need some simple, easy to understand FAQ sheets (frequently asked questions)?
  4. And maybe this could best be done in a wiki format? I am personally a great fan of Wikipedia but I am open to the idea of other Wikis if I can be convinced why they are better than Wikipedia. E.g. if we had a Wiki on Akvopedia.org linked with the SuSanA page, then anyone who knows something about school biogas systems could contribute. We could start with converting information that has been made in the forum in various threads into that Wiki style document.
Just an idea. What do you think?

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
The following user(s) like this post: JKMakowka, etyeheny

• wambuak

I have some experience with rainwater harvesting. In my home I use a 50,000 L tank and it is capable of meeting all household water needs through the year. If my experience can be useful in your work in Rwanda I am willing to share it.

James
James Wambua Kaluli
JKUAT
Kenya
The following user(s) like this post: emmanuelkas2004

• AquaVerde

Dear Lea,

I was thinking about, how I could be progressive helpful to you... ;-)
Just let me be more short and strongly remind you to start on your self chosen project people orientated and in their interest, rather too much technology orientated!

I regret, your friend will not "be able to ensure the functionality of installed systems regularly" in the longer term. If he and you are settling down in the village and take part of the daily normal life around project it would be very different.

People in Germany and Rwanda are not different by having their own personal interests first. Just apply your commonsense. If interests of people and original wanted protection of forest will come together and finally applied, you are on a good way. Give your self enough time to understand peoples interests first, try to imagine often, e.g. you are born in Rwanda and do not have a ticket and visa for Germany...

I hope I am not to much cryptic to you on issues involved.

I wish you success and a good time
Detlef
www.aqua-verde.de
The following user(s) like this post: emmanuelkas2004

• Lea2014
    Topic Author

Dear all,

thank you very much for all the comments. I will have to check all the links and details and then I will let you know my plans.
By the way my friend is moving to Kigali/ Rwanda and he will be able to ensure the functionality of the installed system regularly, that at least will be an advantage.

Kind regards,
Lea Stanke

• AquaVerde

Dear Christian,

Good idea.
I hope you will stress more on how to run (O&M) systems successful from a business point, "as a small business for profit", them again on mainly technology issues ( see Florian's made comments... ), as many different pre-fab systems and local biogas experts are more and more available. For sure Heinz Peter MANG can support you on "software"-issues too.

Please use a kind of Plain-English so I and others could understand too ;-)

Regards,
Detlef
www.aqua-verde.de

• Marijn Zandee
  • No longer working in WASH, but still following the forum.

Dear Christian,

I think it would be very good to have some sort of a publication on the role of biogas in sanitation. I can not take a lead role time-wise, but would be happy to help review drafts.

Marijn
Marijn Zandee

E: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• christian.rieck

Dear all,

I totally agree with the points raised by Marijn, Chris, Julius and Detlef. There were so many fruitful discussions about it on this forum and beyond with a wealth of knowledge.

In my point of view it would justify a SuSanA publication about Biogas Sanitation Systems. Some years ago Elisabeth and I had started a publication with GIZ on this topic but it was not followed up later on. Maybe it is now time to give it another shot with SuSanA and its working group on energy. If there are any interested authors the WG could coordinate this, currently Rahul Ingle being in the lead. Here is the draft publication for your info, which can be used as a starting point for an autonomous SuSanA publication:
www.susana.org/lang-en/library/library?v...peitem&type=2&id=877

Cheers
Christian
GIZ Uganda
Enhanced Water Security and Sanitation (ENWASS)
Sanitation for Millions
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The following user(s) like this post: dorothee.spuhler, Marijn Zandee

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds