Current reuse of fecal sludge in Nepal

Page selection:
  • sharadaprasad
    Topic Author
  • Sharada Prasad CS

Re: Current reuse of fecal sludge in Nepal

Thanks Marjin, for your response. My study has two objectives
  1. why do farmers use or don't use fecal sludge?
  2. Why do business transport or don't transport fecal sludge to the farms?

Nepal may be a good case study to understand why farmers and septic tank cleaning truck operators are not using fecal sludge.

I have been trying to get in touch with several people who are working on this issue. But no response so far. Will send you an email regarding this.
Best,
CS Sharada Prasad (CSP), PhD
Academic, Sanitation expert, WaSH consultant, and Photographer
sharadaprasad.com

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Marijn Zandee
  • No longer working in WASH, but still following the forum.

Dear Sharada,

I have been working in Nepal for a while now and would also be very interested to learn of any working examples of sludge re-use. It is quite possible there are some, but I have not heard about any in the Kathmandu valley. Could be that I missed it, because I am less connected with the ecosan community these days.

Anyway, I think you are already trying to contact people here, but otherwise I would advise you to contact the people behind the report you posted (Enpho and UN-Habitat) before you get here to make sure that this project actually got of the ground.

Regards

Marijn

PS if you have a hard time contacting people, do send me a mail (address below), and I will try put you in touch with some folks.
Marijn Zandee

E: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• sharadaprasad
    Topic Author
  • Sharada Prasad CS

Will let Chhabi know. Also, I will be compiling all the information / contacts I am going to collect in the process and share the same with the consent of the people involved.
Best,
sharadaprasad.com

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Sharada,

Could you please encourage Chhabi to write his answers directly into the forum (or ask him if you can copy his e-mail reply to the forum)? Then we could all benefit from the exchange.
There is so much happening with ecosan and reuse in Nepal, it would be great to read more from Nepali people in this forum!
I hope he responds.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
The following user(s) like this post: sharadaprasad

• sharadaprasad
    Topic Author
  • Sharada Prasad CS

Thanks a lot. I just now wrote to Chhabi. I am curious about the factors that enable such businesses. Is it the distance, volume of FS, social acceptability, transportation costs, types of crops etc.
Best,
sharadaprasad.com

• Bobbie

Hi Sharada

I recommend you contact Chhabi Goudel who works on reuse of faecal sludge with the Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Project in Western Nepal in Pokhara, Nepal.

His presentation from FSM2 is at www.susana.org/images/documents/07-cap-d...sanitation-nepal.pdf. I am pasting below his abstract.

You can reach him at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Regards

Bobbie

The RWSSP-WN has been implemented since 2008 in 54 VDC´s (Village Development Committees) of nine districts in western Nepal. The project piloted an approach called "Community Led Total Behaviour Change (CLTBCHS) in Hygiene and Sanitation" in these VDC´s. In this approach, local bodies are facilitated and local people are trained to ignite awareness and trigger people to build ECOSAN toilets, and to use human shit (after composting) and urine as an organic fertiliser. A total of 553 community level structures and systems were mobilized for the purpose. In total, 6 700 community level sanitation triggers (49% female) were trained from a population of 430 000 in 5 6000 households in the project VDC´s. Included in the project are economic development and energy saving by using human shit to produce bio-gas.

Activities focussed on integrated community led ecological sanitation and sustainable livelihoods have been implemented, helping to mitigate the diverse pressures on the unique Agriculture Ecosystem, and helping to ensure that the needs of local community members are adequately addressed. This includes the development of improved agriculture, energy saving and environmental management practices. The ecological sanitation promotes agricultural products, encourages a hygienic and sanitized community, supports income generation and thus improves the livelihood of the people.

Research shows that the use of human shit and urine demonstrates agricultural production four times that of chemical fertilizer (imported urea in Nepal). Each VDC of Nepal spends approximately USD 5800 (i.e. on average 10 kg/HH x USD 0.58 = USD 5.8 x 1000 HHs = USD 5 800) to buy chemical fertilizer per year. For 3 915 VDCs the annual cost will be USD 227 600 00.

As a result, it is assumed that faecal sludge management, food security and energy saving within the project working area has greatly improved, resulting in a reduction in morbidity and mortality from hygiene and sanitation related diseases. In one example, Mr Bal bahadur Thapa of Mahendrakot VDC of Kapilvastu district has been able to make a profit of about USD 580 per year utilizing shit and urine in his kitchen garden. These profits have enabled him to educate his daughter and son at Tribhuvan University, Nepal.

The lesson learnt from this approach can be replicated in other districts aiming to overcome problems of sanitation coverage and to reduce poverty in Nepal.

• sharadaprasad
    Topic Author
  • Sharada Prasad CS

Thank you all for your responses. I will keep you posted on what I find out.
Best,
sharadaprasad.com

• mariovaron

Hello Sharada,

Thanks for sharing the report, is very interesting. You might want to check the one I'm attaching by the Gates Foundation in Asia and Africa.

I will also add, splash.org they are working on water in Nepal, they might help connecting with people in the ground.

Also, I'm co-founder of tansa, a social enterprise, monetizing fecal sludge in India by collecting septage from homes and selling it to biodigester operators for conversion into energy and compost. I will like to know more about your research.

Best,

Mario Varon
This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

This message has an attachment file.

• dorothee.spuhler
  • Developing methods and tools to support strategic planning for sustainable sanitation. Particular interested in novel technologies contributing to more inclusive and circular sanitation. Co-Lead of WG1

Hello Sharada

Three contacts that may help you:
UN-HABITAT Water for Asian Cities Programme Kathmandu (the Authors of the report you already have)
SANDEC at Eawag : they have done extensive work on urine (e.g STUN ) and compost (see this document ) and probably also on Fecal Sludge.
ENPHO (Environment and Public Health Organisation) had a good library some years ago and was working on FSM.

Regards, Dorothee
WG1 Co-lead
Developing methods and tools to support strategic planning for sustainable sanitation. Particular interested in novel technologies contributing to more inclusive and circular sanitation. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The following user(s) like this post: susu, sharadaprasad

• sharadaprasad
    Topic Author
  • Sharada Prasad CS

Current reuse of fecal sludge in Nepal

Hello All,

This is my first post to SuSanA and I am excited to be a part of the group.

This summer I am planning on going to Nepal to understand the existing business practices that aid the resuse of fecal sludge in agriculture. I came across this report " Status and Strategy for faecal Sludge Management in the Kathmandu Valley ". The document does not provide any specific details about the number of farmers or the area of farms that use fecal sludge. I could not find any reliable source that indicates current reuse. I don't need exact locations. I just need some evidence of reuse to plan my research trip to Nepal

I wanted to know whether any of you have any ideas about how to get more information about current reuse. I was thinking of getting the phone number of the septic tank cleaners and talking to them. Any comments?

Is anyone on the forum aware of current reuse in a specific farm in Kathmandu Valley?

Have a good weekend.

Thanks and Regards,
Sharada
Best,
sharadaprasad.com

This message has an attachment file.

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds