Wanted: Sudan-specific WASH footage/images

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Wanted: Sudan-specific WASH footage/images

Hi Nica,

You asked:

In terms of credit, I then presume this would have to go to the original photographer plus their organisation, rather than SuSanA? (Or both?)

Yes, the most important person to give credit to is the original photographer. We have taken care to ensure that their name is always available, either under the photo itself or in the album description where the photo is part of (a photo can be part of several albums though, so be aware). If you can't find the name of the photographer just ask the secretariat (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) or me.

And yes, if space permits, please give credit also to SuSanA e.g. like this:

Photo by Ina Jurga via SuSanA
or
Photo by Ina Jurga via SuSanA flickr photodatabase
Or
Photo by Ina Jurga / Sustainable Sanitation Alliance (SuSanA)

or: by Ina Jurgy (WASH United) / SuSanA

actually I am not quite sure myself what is the best option. You may not always be able to add the person's organization because sometimes it's not clear who the person worked for when they took the photo. Sometimes they also took the photo while travelling or while being an intern.

Anyhow - do let us know how you get on and share your final result, good luck with it!

Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • nikafarnworth
  • Topic Author

Dear Wini,

Thank you, this is a fantastic help! Please can you let me know the full name you'd like to be used in credit, should we use any of these?

I'd also be happy to talk with you about the video production process - perhaps you could send me an email? I am on This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Dear Elisabeth,

Many thanks for this. We have to be pretty specific with the content, as the framework and plan we are outlining in the videos is a Government of Sudan initiative. Any images we show have to clearly reflect a Sudan context, unless it's something like a handwashing close-up which doesn't necessarily indicate location. I'll have a look at the link and see what is available.

In terms of credit, I then presume this would have to go to the original photographer plus their organisation, rather than SuSanA? (Or both?)

Thanks and all the best,

Nika

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Nika,

I am just wondering if you would also be interested in images from South Sudan? If yes, we have a few in the SuSanA flickr database (also in Wikimedia Commons for Wikipedia). They were taken as part of the work GIZ was doing in South Sudan and include e.g. some projects with urine-diverting dry toilets at schools:
www.flickr.com/photos/gtzecosan/collections/72157627837099252/

Dear Wini,
Would you like to make your photos from South Darfur available to the wider public (all of them or a selection of them)? If yes, please upload them to the SuSanA flickr account. The secretariat can guide you on how it's done or possibly upload a batch for you (your name as photographer will be displayed with the photos). Just e-mail This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .
We have over 10,000 photos (all with captions and tags) in the SuSanA flickr photo database and are always happy to have new ones added.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• wini
  • MS.c. Urban water and sanitation

Dear Nika,

yes off course, i did my M.Sc. in Productive sanitation in south Darfur so i have plenty of pictures of dirty public latrines, land fill, solid waste, and household sanitation.

please see Dropbox link; all the pictures are taken in Kass and Ottash IDP camps, South Darfur, 2016.
www.dropbox.com/sh/ebza1vwhctkqxft/AACTk...QyNjcXJSYUPLVVa?dl=0

P.S. i am currently working producing customized educational materials for productive sanitation in South Darfur. i would be happy to voluntarily collaborate in the video production, if you have one promoting reuse.

Best Regards,
Wini

• nikafarnworth
  • Topic Author

Wanted: Sudan-specific WASH footage/images

Hi everyone,

RedR UK in Sudan is currently developing a series of short videos to promote principles of sanitation and hygiene in the Sudan context, as well as to inform about a new government hygiene and sanitation framework.

The videos will largely be in interview format, but we are looking to supplement these with some suitable images/footage relating to WASH in Sudan (for instance, water point, handwashing, water seller, latrines etc. etc.). Does anybody have anything along these lines they would be willing to let us use? It would of course be credited.

Thanks all!

With best wishes,

Nika

(RedR UK Training Coordinator in Sudan)

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds