What does Unimproved Sanitation look like? - seeking data on 'typical' latrines in East and Southern Africa

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: What does Unimproved Sanitation look like? - seeking data on 'typical' latrines in East and Southern Africa

Hi Nicola,

I am not really clear about your question "What does Unimproved Sanitation look like"? At first I thought you were looking for photos. Then I see you're looking for figures on the state of pit latrines: "what the slab was made of, what % were marked down for poor structure, missing a roof, pit lined/unlined etc." Right?

Are you able to share that mentioned data from Water for People in Malawi? Perhaps this would make it clearer for people to understand what you're looking for (I don't think you were looking for the kinds of "access" data which Arno mentioned in his post, or? Is the Zimbabwe report that he attached containing the data that you require?)

Could you also explain what the data would be used for, i.e. you said

which enabled us to segment the market for latrine products/services/campaigns nicely

If we understand better what you're after and why, perhaps more people will reply to your question. Thanks.

Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • arno
  • Senior Research Fellow Stockholm Environment Institute

Re: What does Unimproved Sanitation look like?

Hi Nicola
Yes these are the data that are the most difficult to get. But unimproved water supply and sanitation is something many countries cover in their census work, although this isn't something carried out so often, maybe once a decade. The best data I have seen come from the MICS reports. The Multiple Indicator Cluster Surveys feed to the JMP. For example the one for Zimbabwe 2014 is rather impressive, a 580-page mastodon. See attached.

There's more of that on www.sanitationmonitoringtoolkit.com/sani...al-sanitation-access

Regards
Arno Rosemarin PhD
Stockholm Environment Institute
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.sei.org
www.ecosanres.org

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• nicolag
    Topic Author
  • Sanitation Engineer - Consultant

What does Unimproved Sanitation look like? - seeking data on 'typical' latrines in East and Southern Africa

A call for data please.

I am doing a study for UNICEF to try and get a better picture of Unimproved Sanitation across the East and Southern Africa Region (ESARO).

I am seeking data on 'typical' latrines e.g. in my previous work in Water for People Malawi, we had great data on latrines across the Southern Region - what the slab was made of, what % were marked down for poor structure, missing a roof, pit lined/unlined etc...which enabled us to segment the market for latrine products/services/campaigns nicely.

I would be very grateful if anyone could point me toward, or share, some more studies with a technical break down of latrines like this from any area. Raw or processed data from within ESARO or not. This is the kind of data rarely shared in a public forum but hopefully available in many country offices.

Nicola

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.062 seconds