Is there a standard for handwashing taps/stations to learners?

48.3k views

Page selection:
  • teemer

Re: Is there a standard for handwashing taps/stations to learners?

We totally agree with Michael about the need of touchless hand washing. Many children touching a tap contribute to the spreading of bacteria. There are some solutions already available which are waiting for wide implementation. We currently make efforts to implement one of them. Wish us good luck. S-teemer team.
Olga Krawczyk
s-teemer team

feel free to write to us:
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • themessenger
  • Founder, AirCell Structures Ltd. We design and manufacture aid response & community products for sanitation, hygiene & shelter

As designers/manufacturers of handwash/water dispensers, we strongly believe that any system for water provision related to sanitation in schools, camps or new communities should prioritise non-manual activation of the water flow i.e. foot operated. If you can't guarantee training of washing hands 'before and after'you risk creating a serious point of contagion at the critical manual supply/recipient interface.But aid agencies generally persist in purveying primitive pipe/tap row solutions and local operators look to that as a satisfactory model/template. It isn't.
That is what our research showed and that is why we make all our models foot based... have not shown any for want of appearing to be advertising!
AirCell Structures Ltd
85 Moore Park Road
London SW6 2DA
UK
T +44.207.731.7542
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.aircellstructures.com
The following user(s) like this post: cecile, teemer

• Mumamu

This is tricky in Water and Sanitation Development facility (WSDF North) Uganda we try to apply a ratio of 1 sink for 200 users but I have found it wanting mainly at peak hours.
Also, Another issue is about actual height of sinks currently we have put it between 50-70cm though its still not tested for efficiency across the age groups.
Issues of draining off waste water in Universal primary schools of about 1000 pupils has remained a stingy challenge.
The following user(s) like this post: cecile

• Nicole

Re: What could be standard for Hand Washing Station at School

Dear Binesh, thanks for bringing up this important question. The Fit for School approach promotes separate low-cost group washing facilities that enable children to practice daily hand washing in schools. Please check our webiste and the following publications. Hope that helps. Best regards, Nicole

Field Guide: www.fitforschool.international/wp-conten...2015_3rd_edition.pdf
Nicole Siegmund
Regional Program Coordinator

GIZ Regional Fit for School Program
The following user(s) like this post: bineshroy

• kamaudaniel65

Re: Reply: Is+there+a+standard+for+handwashing+taps/stations+to+learners?

Wow it my honour to contribute in this topic of having handwashing n taps in schools. If you happen to visit schools located in arid and sub arid area you wil be much surprised to see even clean water for consumption is problem leave alone water for washing hands to promote hygiene. There are several primary schools which even classroom is problem they school under tree without trained teacher. This is very common in most school in arid part of our country kenya.

• Mnyororo
  • I am working with Local NGOs called Sustainable Environment Management Action based in Tanzania as Program Officer for WASH project,

Hi jbr

I have a question regarding on your post, what will be an appropriate space between one tape to another in order to provide enough space for students when their washing they are hands because i haven't see any specification required for placing of one tape to another.

• Mnyororo
  • I am working with Local NGOs called Sustainable Environment Management Action based in Tanzania as Program Officer for WASH project,

Re: Reply: Is there a standard for handwashing taps/stations to learners?

Hi to all
I am responding to the heading above about the standard of hand washing. I haven't seen the guide of hand washing but there is alot of innovation has been undertaken according to the respective area. For example GIZ produced a guide according to the specific area, the guide is all about group handwashing facilities(progaram is called fit for school). This was introduced at Cambodia and revealed postive impact and what now GIZ doing , they are trying to introduce to other country if it can work , also within the guide there are different drawing which you can adopt according to the existing situation of the area

• bineshroy

Re: What could be standard for Hand Washing Station at School

Hi
I am working in WASH for a well-recognized organization and just want to discuss if there should be any separate standards for hand washing station in school. What I have observed that in underdeveloped countries students uses drinking water station as a hand washing station. No doubt that if a school is connected to water supply system for drinking purpose and no additional treatment needed, or no additional cost required to make drinking water safe, than it can be used for the hand washing as well. So should there be a separate standard for a hand-washing station at school considering a child, gender and disable friendly structures? Any examples or cases to share?

++++++

Note by moderator (EvM): Hi Binesh, I have moved your post into an existing thread. If you scroll up and see the previous posts, does that help answer your question? If not, please let us know in this thread.

• John Brogan
    Topic Author
  • John Brogan; WASH and DRR Advisor for Terre des hommes (Tdh)

Hi Hanna,

Thanks for reminding about the Three Star Guide. The reference for 10-15 learners for handwashing station is a good one.

In case the space of the toilet block does not permit a large handwashing station in proximity, we were considering that the minimum number of handwashing taps for toilets should be equal to the number of toilets in the school block. Would appreciate if this rational is cross-checked with the "think tank" events.

Very best,
John
John Brogan
Terre des hommes
The following user(s) like this post: Mnyororo

• WASHanna

Thanks, Elizabeth.

We just started this initiative, so we don't yet have a library of Q&As. We will have a page dedicated to these on our website early next year and will also publish a Q&A each month in our e-newsletter.

Great idea about using these to update the Wikipedia article! Happy to work on this.
Hanna Woodburn
Acting Secretariat Director
Global Public-Private Partnership for Handwashing
@WASH_Hanna

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Hanna,

That's an interesting initiative you have mentioned there: "if you have other questions that you'd like to ask an expert, please feel free to submit a question via this simple webform" (even though I would also advise to ask here on the forum of course! ;-) ).

Do you have a compilation of previous questions and answers that have been asked in that way? Perhaps a list of FAQs (frequently asked questions) about handwashing?

By the way, how about taking such questions and using them to edit and improve the Wikipedia article about handwashing and using that as a nice concise knowledge management base as well? The current article on handwashing looks like this:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_washing

I think it reads quite well but we could work on it to give it more of a developing countries perspective. In particular, I thought it might be good to insert information on group handwashing activities (Fit for School) and on simple handwashing devices like the Tippy Tap and others.

Would you be interested in working on this together? You might have seen my others posts about making use of Wikipedia to "capture & spread" our knowledge here on the forum:
forum.susana.org/forum/categories/166-de...naries-mapping-tools

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• WASHanna

Hi John,

Good question! This is one that the PPPHW has gotten before.

I'm glad that Elisabeth sent you the Fit for Schools materials, as I would do the same.

I would add that UNICEF's Three-Star Guide to WASH in Schools indicates that group handwashing stations should accommodate at least 10-15 students at a time.

It seems that this is an area where better guidance is needed, so I'll include it as a topic for discussion in upcoming Global Public-Private Partnership for Handwashing Think Tanks or events. In the meantime, if you have other questions that you'd like to ask an expert, please feel free to submit a question via this simple webform: docs.google.com/forms/d/1jUT0Lu4lZGIyHDc...LyuejintMsUOSG4/edit
Hanna Woodburn
Acting Secretariat Director
Global Public-Private Partnership for Handwashing
@WASH_Hanna
The following user(s) like this post: cecile, John Brogan

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds