City Partnerships for Urban Sanitation Service Delivery (BMGF and DfID funded)

22.3k views

Page selection:
  • christoph
  • Sanitary engineer with base in Brazil and Peru, doing consultancy in other countries of LA

Re: RFP now open: City Partnerships for Urban Sanitation Service Delivery

I´m very happy to see this call (wondering a bit that there is no reaction), as it has always been my dream that a call like this is set up. Some time ago I wrote in forum.susana.org/forum/categories/139-ge...-challenge-rttc#1574 (scrol to 23 May 2012):

I personally would go another way than they go because I think there are ways which just need to be done as an example in scale, so I would tackle the problem from a different angle. I would do a call for the cities and water authorities... who give me the best institutional conditions to implant a non sewer based system based on a sanitation tariff, gets a funding. I think the institutional setting is one of if not THE most important aspect for a large scale project. Then I would put together a group who defines for that city a strategy and would do a bidding for the execution of the project (or I would call for ideas (2-3 groups making (paid) proposals). I would have a committee with the city and the sanitation provider to choose the most promising solution. Then I would go for implementation. It is a 3 year time frame for significant results when we shortcut by this the institutional problems which mostly undermine projects and are very time consuming. The Gates foundation has that ability. Government organizations may not, because their activities are bound to bi lateral agreements, they cannot work when the institutional does not allow work anymore.

I think it is a great chance for every city which is focused on integrated approaches for sanitation for ALL citizens.
I would be happy if it were a possibility in LA as well, but good luck to all in Africa.
Yours Christoph

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • secretariat
  • SuSanA secretariat currently allocates 2 full time person equivalents of time from members of GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Team: Arne Panesar, Alexandra Dubois, Maren Heuvels, Teresa Häberlein, Daphne Manolakos and Bettina-Sophie Heinz.

Re: Gates Foundation-DfID partnering on sustainable sanitation for the urban poor

The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) and the UK Department for International Development (DfID) have initiated a partnership to focus on solutions for the sustainable provision of sanitation to the urban poor. They are jointly seeking proposals to test how cities can use binding service-level agreements and performance-based contracts with private sector partners as way to ensure the city-scale delivery of sustainable sanitation services.

The selection of the cities will be a two-step process. In Phase 1, up to ten cities will be selected to develop an informed plan and full proposal to solicit a grant. Out of these proposals, 2-3 cities will be selected for a larger Phase 2 grant to support implementation of their proposed plan. The duration of the Phase 2 grant is expected to be 2-3 years. Sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia are priority geographies for consideration.

Phase 1 budgets have a maximum of US$ 150,000, but no budget limits have been set yet for Phase 2.

The application deadline for proposals is 13 September 2013.

In 2012, the Gates Foundation published a study on fecal sludge management in 30 cities across 10 countries in Africa and Asia (see here: sanitationupdates.wordpress.com/2012/11/...-in-africa-and-asia/).

For more information on the “City Partnerships for Urban Sanitation Service Delivery” request for proposals (RFP) go here: www.gatesfoundation.org/How-We-Work/Gene...ion-Service-Delivery

Attached find the full request for proposals in PDF format.

[Posted by Hector]
Posted by a member of the SuSanA secretariat held by the GIZ Sector Program Water Policy – Innovations for Resilience
Located at Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Bonn, Germany
Follow us on facebook: www.facebook.com/susana.org, linkedin: www.linkedin.com/company/sustainable-sanitation-alliance-susana and twitter: twitter.com/susana_org

Attachments:

• alyseschrec
    Topic Author

City Partnerships for Urban Sanitation Service Delivery (BMGF and DfID funded)

The Water, Sanitation, & Hygiene Program at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, in partnership with the United Kingdom Department for International Development are seeking solutions for sustainable provision of sanitation to the urban poor. We are calling for innovative proposals to test how cities can use mechanisms such as service-level agreements and performance-based contracts with private sector partners to promote city-scale delivery of equitable and sustainable sanitation services that provide both private and public benefits.

Our primary interest is to engage with cities, primarily in the South Asian and Sub-Saharan Africa region, where there is a clear mandate to provide urban sanitation services to all (not necessarily for free) and where engagement with the private sector is not actively precluded, with a preference for cities where private public partnership is encouraged.

Proposals are being accepted online until Friday, September 13, 2013 11:59 PM Pacific Standard Time. A full description of the topic and application instructions and timeline is available at the link below:

RFP: www.gatesfoundation.org/How-We-Work/Gene...ion-Service-Delivery

Please consider applying, share within your networks as appropriate, and/or post to your program websites for wider dissemination.

Note: If you have questions regarding this opportunity, email us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. While we review all inquiries, due to the large volume of questions we receive, we may be unable to respond to you personally before the close date of the call for proposals.

Thank you for your commitment to solving one the world's greatest health and development challenges.
Water, Sanitation & Hygiene
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds