international sanitation policies

Page selection:
  • felipe
  • Topic Author

Re: international sanitation policies

Many Thanks for your help Jonathan Parkinson. It has helped me a lot the information given. I am analyzing in detail the "Wastewater Risk Abatement and Stabilization Plan (WRASP)" you mentioned and is quite interesting. If you know other organizations, associations (as IWA) or some other country where they are implementing consolidation plans, I would greatly appreciate

Greetings to the distance :)

Felipe Figueroa T
Environmental engineering student
felipe.figueroa @ alumnos.usm.cl

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • jonpar
  • As part of the Engineering team, my role at IMC is to lead on the delivery of projects requiring specific expertise on urban sanitation (including excreta/waste/wastewater/stormwater management) focusing on technical, institutional and financial aspects in project design and implementation.

Re: international sanitation policies

Dear Felipe, it is an interesting question. I think WHO have initiated a procedure for testing and certification of household water treatment technologies but I don't think anything exists that relates for sanitation facilities. IWA has had some discussion with WHO about formulating a normative framework for sanitation systems that presumably would serve the purpose that you are asking about. As I understand it, the Sanitation Safety Planning process (currently being developed) would the be the process by which a sanitation system would be assessed in relation to these norms. But it is still early days and therefore I think currently the answer is negative. There may be some attempts at a national level - the closest I can think of is the Wastewater Risk Abatement and Stabilization Plan (WRASP) which has been applied in South Africa and Kenya (and maybe other places) but this is for downstream wastewater treatment facilities not household sanitation, and I don't think is quite what you are looking for. I'd therefore also be interested to hear from anyone who knows of any relevant framework and experiences in applying this framework relevant to Felipe's question.best regards, Jonathan Parkinson (IWA)
Dr. Jonathan Parkinson
Principal Consultant – Water and Sanitation
IMC Worldwide Ltd, Redhill, United Kingdom
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• felipe
  • Topic Author

international sanitation policies

Dear

I introduce myself, my name is Felipe Figueroa and I am a student at the Technical University Federico Santa Maria (UTFSM) Valparaiso city, Chile. Right now I am working to the chilean company "Innsania SpA", in their social product named "BIS" (www.bischile.org), a bathroom module that provides health, dignity and self-sufficiency through the reuse of water and waste.
I wonder if they know international standards (international sanitation policies) to carry out the certification of this product because, here in Chile there are no regulations to endorse this kind of sanitation systems

Without further ado and waiting for a prompt reply from you,
best regards :)

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds