Have you had problems with attaching files to your post or with downloading files such as docx-files?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Have you had problems with attaching files to your post or with downloading files such as docx-files?

Download error with docx files using internet explorer 31 Oct 2011 15:46 #480

• LeonieKappauf
  • CONTACT
Dear all,

We noticed that it is not possible to directly open “.docx” (MS Office 2007) uploaded to the forum when using internet explorer.

We would therefore encourage you to convert files to the older “.doc” format (MS Office 97-2003) or upload documents converted to pdf.

If you have trouble opening a .”docx” file from the forum and you have firefox installed on your computer you could use firefox as your browser. There should be no problem to download and open “.docx” documents using firefox.
You can also download the .docx file using internet explorer: The file will be saved as a (corrupted) .zip file by default. You can change this manually by simply changing the file name extension from “.zip” to “.doc” before saving the file. The file will be saved as a normal “.doc” document and you will be able to open it.

Please let us know if you have any trouble opening documents uploaded to the forum. We are happy to assist you and will try to convert all remaining “.docx” files to “.doc” or “.pdf” files.

Kind regards
Leonie
Leonie Kappauf
Intern "Sustainable sanitation - ecosan"
GIZ, Eschborn, Germany
and SuSanA secretariat

This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
www.susana.org
www.giz.de/ecosan
The following user(s) like this post: Doreen

Re: Download error with docx files using internet explorer 01 Nov 2011 12:50 #485

• jkeichholz
  • CONTACT
I am experiencing a very random behaviour with both the 32 and 64bit versions of MSIE 9.x installed on my Win7 machine, but I am also only using FF and Google Chrome and trying to avoid this disease called MSIE by any means. That is: opening docx files works with MSIE - sometimes.

So here's my advice to those users behind a corporate IT firewall & restricted software policy: use portable versions of your preferred browser alternatives which can run without an installation.

E.g.
  • SRWare Iron (a Google Chrome clone, but without any Google tracking)

• Portable Google Chrome

• Opera USB

• Portable Firefox

• I second the use of DOC or PDF instead of DOCX mainly because opening docx files on any other suite than MS Office 2007 and higher can be a PITA. Chances that the layout is screwed are less with DOC and of course PDF for final versions of a document.

Also, it may not be that politically correct and/or desired by your corporate IT policy, but I believe that a lot of issues could be solved by using online office suites like Google Docs or MS Office 365. So for getting things done and having a common denominator in terms of a software basis, these tricks may hopefully be of help.
    Juergen Eichholz
    watsan eng.
    water, sanitation, IT & knowledge management
    www.saniblog.org
    Last Edit: 02 Nov 2011 17:03 by jkeichholz.

Have you had problems with attaching files to your post or with downloading files such as docx-files? 14 Feb 2013 21:12 #3494

• tmsinnovation
    • CONTACT
    • I am one of the community managers of this forum and work at the GIZ. My background is in Management, Economics and Information Systems.
    If anyone has had problems attaching files to their posts, please either reply to this post or send the SuSanA Secretariat an email and let us know, so that we can fix any problems in this regard.

A few users who recently updated their Firefox browser ran into some difficulties whereby they could not attach any files to their posts. We have since fixed this, but are happy to hear about any other difficulties encountered in this regard.

You should be able to upload upto 20000KB (approximately 19Mb) and the following file extensions are supported:
    txt
    rtf
    pdf
    zip
    ppt
    doc
    pptx
    docx
    xls
    xlsx

Kind regards
    Trevor
    Sustainable Sanitation Alliance (SuSanA)
    Secretariat
    Located at Deutsche Gesellschaft fuer Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Eschborn, Germany
    • Page:
    Time to create page: 0.32 seconds