Development of superhydrophobic surfaces for sanitation solutions (University of Rochester, USA)

11.6k views

Page selection:
  • guo
    Topic Author
  • Better sanitation with novel materials

Re: Update: A revolutionary sanitation technology with superhydrophobic materials

I would like to provide an update about this research project* through a TEDx talk I gave recently on generating superhydrophobic metals and my work with the Gates Foundation. The TED video is in high quality and there is a video in the talk showing the water repellence in motion. The TED talk video is available on Youtube and here is the link:

Thank you,

Chunlei

* Note by moderator: This project started in 2011 with a GCE grant for 100,000 USD and was extended into a second phase which lasts until December 2016 with a grant value of 421,300 USD, see: www.gatesfoundation.org/How-We-Work/Quic...s/2014/11/OPP1119542

Purpose: to develop low cost, self-cleaning and anti-fouling superhydrophobic plastics that will require virtually no operation and maintenance costs, which can be used in sanitation solutions

For more information about this project, please scrol up to the beginning of this thread.
Chunlei Guo, Professor
The Institute of Optics
University of Rochester
Rochester, NY 14627-0186

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • hmalak
  • Developing self-cleaning and antimicrobial coatings for sanitization and medicine

Re: A revolutionary sanitation technology with superhydrophobic materials (University of Rochester, USA)

Dear Chunlei,
It is great idea to use laser to induce in materials hydrophilicity or super hydrophobicity. I wonder, if this technique you can use to induce these effects in concrete or plastics materials, which are used very often in sanitary units in developing countries.
All best
Henry

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: A revolutionary sanitation technology with superhydrophobic materials (University of Rochester, USA)

Dear Franz,
Can you please tell us a bit who you are and edit your forum profile a bit? Thanks a lot.

I don't quite understand your point, because I think Chunlei's post above is written correctly. He wrote:

Based on the superhydrophilic technique pioneered in my lab, we developed the counterpart technique of superhydrophobicity under this Gate’s project. A superhydrophobic material will repel wastes and collect clean water with virtually no external energy needed.

• hydrophilic = water loving = research for other stuff, actually I don't know for what application
  • hydrophobic = water repellent = research for the toilets

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• FranzH

Sounds quite interesting.
Please check if you can revise hydrophilic to hydrophobic where appropriate.
(i think you do not want to talk on hydrophilic anywhere.)
F

• gitum
  • Environmental Engineer pursuing PhD at Technical University of Munich

Dear Chunlei,

your presentation is totally interesting. I do believe that a super-hydrophobic trap door in a toilet structure will improve the visual state of the toilet. I saw in your post that the developing country where your research is being or will be tested is Africa. I am curious where exactly in Africa are you testing your system? Also, for what purpose are you testing the super-hydrophobic structure in Africa (as a trap door or for collecting rainwater)? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Gökce
M.Sc. Gökce Iyicil
Research Assistant
Technical University of Munich
e-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.tum-ias.de
www.sww.bv.tum.de

• guo
    Topic Author
  • Better sanitation with novel materials

Development of superhydrophobic surfaces for sanitation solutions (University of Rochester, USA)

Dear all,

Please find below the information about my work with the Gates Foundation. I have been awarded a second Gates grant in pushing our technology developed in the first grant to the next level.

Regards,

Chunlei

Title of grant: A revolutionary sanitation technology with superhydrophobic materials

Subtitle (more descriptive title): To develop a superhydrophobic material that will repel wastes and collect clean water with virtually no external energy needed

Name of lead organization: University of Rochester
Primary contact at lead organization: Chunlei Guo
Grantee location: Rochester, New York, USA
Developing country where the research is being or will be tested: USA and Africa

Short description of the project:
Recently, we invented a technique in my laboratory that uses lasers to transform a regular material surface super-hydrophilic. Compared to other hydrophilic materials, the hydrophilicity we created is shockingly strong. In a dramatic demonstration, we showed that a regular piece of metal or glass, after treated by our process, exhibits such a strong hydrophilic effect that liquids, once touch the bottom of a vertically-standing treated surface, will defy the gravity and sprint uphill at an unprecedented velocity (several centimeters per second). This invention and the related applications have been extensively documented in scientific literature and also broadly covered by the news media. Based on the superhydrophilic technique pioneered in my lab, we developed the counterpart technique of superhydrophobicity under this Gate’s project. A superhydrophobic material will repel wastes and collect clean water with virtually no external energy needed. This technology can potentially bring a leap forward in sanitation technology.

Goal(s): The goal of this project is to develop a superhydrophobic material that will repel wastes and collect clean water with virtually no external energy needed.

Objectives: to develop a superhydrophobic material that will repel wastes and collect clean water with virtually no external energy needed.

Start and end date: Nov. 2012 till 30 April 2013, final report due 15 June 2013 (see short scientific report attached below). Edit on 17 Dec 2015: project extended to Dec 2016 (Phase 2). Edit on 2 May 2018: Project extended to April 2020.

Grant type: GCE Round 7
Grant size: USD 100,000 (Phase 1) and USD 421,300 (Phase 2) and USD 1.5 million (Phase 3)
Research or implementation partners: none

Links, further readings – results to date:

Documents in SuSanA library: www.susana.org/en/resources/library/details/1826

Video from my presentation at the FSM2 Conference in Oct. 2012:

+++++++++++++++

Some further general updates:

1. All the goals in my first original proposal have been successfully completed. Our main goal was to create the hydrophobic surface. It was a challenging one but at the end of the project, we succeeded it.

2. After we succeeded our fist project, we were awarded a second grant to push our technology further. I will update our new project in the future.
Chunlei Guo, Professor
The Institute of Optics
University of Rochester
Rochester, NY 14627-0186
Attachments:
The following user(s) like this post: ISAIAHOGUTU2007

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds