New icon for the red category on health & hygiene, schools

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: New icon for the red category on health & hygiene, schools

We have in the background been working on a better icon for the "red" category i.e. the one on health & hygiene, schools, prompted by comments by Lasse (above) and Roslyn about the cross not being so great.

Roslyn's feedback was:

RED: the way the red cross is positioned it looks like a cross on top of a church.* I have a feeling that's not what is intended. I would suggest either going back to three icons, so it's on the side, not on top of the building, or adding another symbol (books for school?) (or a different symbol for health: ex. something from a google search: becuo.com/universal-health-symbols, or the health care symbol: www.quora.com/What-does-the-Caduceus-sym...ignia-for-healthcare although this seems controversial and what I know from Canada seems not to be widely used outside of North America..)

OK, so now I think we have something much better, I hope you all like it:

The stetoscope symbol at the top symbolises health nicely I think, as almost any doctor - also in poor rural areas - uses a stetoscope. We removed the cross that we had before to symbolise health in case some people see it too closely connected to the Christian faith and therefore not universal; and perhaps too much connected to the Red Cross and emergency situations.

The two children below symbolise school nicely, I think. And it gives it a more human-centred touch than the school building we had before. The children could also stand for healthy, well nourished children (nutrition and WASH) and for hygiene.

As a reminder, this red category has the following sub-categories, so the icon should stand for all of this:
  • Health issues and connections with sanitation
  • - Intestinal worm infections (helminthiasis) and helminth ova measurements
  • Nutrition and WASH
  • Inclusion and disability
  • Hand washing
  • Schools (sanitation and hygiene in schools)
  • - Handwashing activities at schools
  • Menstrual hygiene management
Let me know what you think?

Regards,
Elisabeth

* She was referring to this icon suggestion which we have now discarded:

Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
Attachments:
The following user(s) like this post: Carol McCreary, Lasse

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Lasse
    Topic Author

New icon for the red category on health & hygiene, schools

Hi Elisabeth,

I would like the sign of the red cross to be taken out of the Hygiene, health and schools icon. Maybe a symbol without any religious denomination in teh background what do better. Have a look at this link .

Thanks for the effort you put in this.
Best, Lasse
Lasse Roeder
WASH consultant at aliro-consulting (M.Sc. Water- and Environmental Engineering)
de.linkedin.com/in/lasse-roeder-48862569

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.344 seconds