Proposed WASH facilities in communities lacking indoor plumbing (Holistic Water and Sanitation Project by WATEK)

Page selection:
  • HolisticWaterandSanitation
  • Topic Author

Re: Reply: Holistic Water and Sanitation Project

Good Morning Elisabeth:
Thank you for your message.
The holistic concept is an idea and has not been implemented yet.
We have developed the technical and conceptual design concepts but have not considered any ownership or governance concepts. We will be happy to help with the engineering concepts and hope to work with others who can help with the financial and governance aspects of the project.
Thank you!

Zoreh Movahed, Ph.D., P.E.
Senior Engineer

WATEK Engineering Corporation
604 South Frederick Avenue, Suite 309
Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA 20877
Phone: 240-780-7676
Fax: 240-780-7678
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Hi Zohreh,

I looked at your website under volunteerism (www.watek.com/volunteer-projects) but didn'd find anything on actual sanitation projects, just your projects to provide drinking water by using Microfiltration / Ultrafiltration / MBR.

I am not so sure what's "holistic" or sustainable about this. It seems to be a small "corporate social responsibility" outreach activity by your company. But have you thought about how those communities would pay for the ongoing operation and maintenance after your technology has been provided to them (for free?)? Have you thought about project ownership and governance aspects?

Oh and on your website you state that "WATEK Engineering Forms A Partnership with SuSanA Forum" (see here: www.watek.com/volunteer-projects). I find that a bit exaggerated. You have just made a post on the forum but that doesn't mean you have "formed a partnership" with us.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• Gordwin

Greetings , Many thanks for your brief on Holistic water and sanitation project. As a project developer in areas linked around sustainable development goals, i am excited to inform you about my interest in collaborating with you on this project. Your experience and expertise in actualizing this project will improve many lives of people in marginalized communities in kenya. Please provide me with details on the scope of this proposed project.

With kind Regards, Gordwin Muhambi.

• Gordwin

Re: Proposed WASH facilities in communities lacking indoor plumbing

Good evening,
Thank you very much for your brief on this proposed WASH facilities in communities lacking indoor plumbing project.
I am a project developer and keenly interested in partnership on this project for marginalized communities in kenya.
Please provide me with more details on the project.
My email is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. cc This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I am looking forward to working together with your organization.

With kind Regards,
Gordwin.

• HolisticWaterandSanitation
  • Topic Author

Proposed WASH facilities in communities lacking indoor plumbing

WATEK Engineering Corporation, a Maryland-based company in partnership with the University of Maryland University College graduate program in Environmental Management, is working on a proposal to set up a holistic Community Water Center (CWC) in urban communities lacking Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) facilities in developing countries.

WATEK conducts engineering, design, study, and construction of water and wastewater systems. WATEK’s water professionals have a passion to provide clean, sanitized water and sanitation systems to densely populated areas that lack access to indoor plumbing. The Team is very interested in working with all passionate water professionals to help address water and sanitation challenges around the world.

WATEK’s pro bono concept, the Holistic Water and Sanitation Project, uses off-the-shelf technology and includes several systems of water use, packaged together as prefabricated modules CWCs to be shipped and installed in or by a village/community. Each CWC serves a minimum of 1,000 people and includes areas for dishwashing and laundry, showers, toilets, and water collection spigots for cooking, drinking, and other personal usage.

The combination of 1) CWCs; 2) a centralized drinking water treatment plant; 3) centralized wastewater Treatment Plants; and 4) a Centralized Energy Plant can service up to 10,000 people for an estimated cost of $0.10 per person per day based on a 15-year life-cycle cost analysis.

Each CWC can provide safe drinking water as well as treat used gray water from handwashing sinks and showers, which can be recycled for flushing toilets and transporting toilet waste to the centralized wastewater treatment plants. Watek’s holistic concept can be customizable depending on water source and size of community.

Please click on the link to learn more about us: www.watek.com/volunteer-projects

We are interested in establishing partnerships and working with communities where this concept can be feasible as well as working with other water and sanitation professionals involved in similar projects. All input on this subject matter is greatly appreciated.
The following user(s) like this post: Gordwin

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds