Small scale faecal sludge treatment

Page selection:
  • AjitSeshadri
  • Marine Chief Engineer by profession (1971- present) and at present Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, Chennai, India. Also proficient in giving Environmental solutions , Designation- Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Head- Environment, The Vigyan Vijay Foundation, NGO, New Delhi, INDIA , Consultant located at present at Chennai, India

Re: Small scale faecal sludge treatment

Dear Member CaryS

Kudos n Congrats for making a process workable on FSM

It is definitely beneficial to have Dewats Type, non-mechanised, low-tdch type plant.
These plants can be well sustained and operated maintained by low skilled farmer - helper Etc..

FS accumulations in tanks can be desludged and co composted too.

We have had many Dewats type plants in operation and sustained for long years too
Both recycled water and sludges can be used as RoI

.. wll wshs for prospects 
Prof Ajit Seshadri 
The Vigyan Vijay Foundation 
www.vigyanvijay.org 
Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, and
Head-Environment , VigyanVijay Foundation, Consultant (Water shed Mngmnt, WWT, WASH, others)Located at present at Chennai, India

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • dmrobbins10
  • Improving life and livelihood through decentralized wastewater management

Hi Cary,

I recommend you look at the Jhenaidah Bangladesh model.  It was developed by AIT in Thailand.  It uses vertical flow constructed wetlands for liquid / solids separation and then sends the liquid to a horizontal flow constructed wetlands.  It is totally non-mechanical, and is scalable.   It can be as big or as small as needed.  You can also construct it using local materials and labor for the most part.  You can search it on Google or within this forum and find the design parameters.  

Good luck ...
David M. Robbins
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The following user(s) like this post: Den

• Mandela

Hello  if you can how about have bacteria action and have a chamber where you have optimum condition that will promote bacterial activity to act on the sludge as it's accumulating and incubation chamber will do it will reduce the sludge to a significant amount and then you can use it back as activated sludge or  use it for farming after completely dried up an alternative is that maybe you can also burn it but it can turn out to be good manure for farming , 
The following user(s) like this post: DrKevin

• Rohinipradeep
  • Sanitation and Wastewater Expert, having 15-year experience in the Sector. Currently working with CDDIndia as Project Manager. Got more than 15 years of experience in designing, implementing engineering solutions for management of wastewater, faecal sludge management, waterbody rejuvenation and drain remediation across India and South Asia.

Sorry, because of the size of the document, it's not been uploaded properly.

Find below link for your references
FSTP Design Document

Regards
Rohini 
Best Regards
Rohini Pradeep
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

CDD Society
Survey No. 205 | (Opp. Beedi Workers Colony) | Kommaghatta Road, Bandemath |Kengeri Sattelite Town | Bengaluru 560060
The following user(s) like this post: DrKevin

• lourdesv
  • Arquitecta, trabajando en temas de agua, saneamiento y medio ambiente desde el año 2003, creo en estrategias de educación ambiental y cambio de comportamiento. En mi día a día trato de dejar un mundo mejor al prójimo.

Dear Cary:

Here you will find the latest SNV and ISF-UTS publication highlights practical and real-life accounts of decision-makers and utility personnel in the selection, management, and operationalisation of faecal sludge and wastewater treatment technologies.

snv.org/update/treatment-technologies-pr...wastewater-treatment

It seeks to address a gap in available information. Compiling nine case studies from Asia and Africa, the publication presents real-life stories and practical experiences of people's engagements with several treatment technologies in the market.

The same document is available in the SuSanA library in Spanish and in Portuguese versions.
www.aguatuya.org/documentos/manuales-y-guias

We will also soon have systematization of the experience in Bolivia in the management of fecal sludge from dry toilets and faecal sludge treatment plants. We hope that by the end of the year we will have this information.

Kind regards

Lourdes
Lourdes Valenzuela
Regional SuSanA Coordinator (Latinoamérica)
Directora de comunicación AGUATUYA

Calle Nicolás Ortiz no. 33 (a media cuadra de la Av. Calampampa)
Tel (591) 4 424 2164
Casilla 6264
Cochabamba – Bolivia

Siguenos:
www.aguatuya.org
www.facebook.com/aguatuya
www.susana.org/en/mailinglist-latinoamerica

The following user(s) like this post: SimonT

• Chaiwe
  • Innovation enthusiast and Knowledge Management Expert in WASH and Climate Change while cross-cutting Youth and Gender Issues. CEO of CaDev_Capacity Development (An African Social Enterprise)

Dear Cary,

My forum search has revealed the following resources:

1. National Guidelines on Planning, Implementation, O&M and Monitoring of FSTPS in Small Towns - Resources • SuSanA
2.  Scoping Study: Faecal Sludge Treatment Plants in South-Asia and sub-Saharan Africa - Resources • SuSanA

There are also ongoing discussions about FSTPs and drying beds here:

1.  Lessons learnt from implementing decentralised FSM in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania - SuSanA Forum    Laura from BORDA TZ is also a very helpful contact on this topic: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
2.  Evaluation of Faecal Sludge Treatment Plants in South-Asia and sub-Saharan Africa: Scoping Study Report - SuSanA Forum
3. Design parameter for Planted drying beds - SuSanA Forum
4.  Simple Solar Sludge Drying During the Monsoon (experience in Bangladesh) - SuSanA Forum

Let me know in case you come across a helpful contact within the threads and I should be able to connect you or otherwise you can comment or post on the thread as a reply to catch their attention. 

I have also written to my contacts here in Zambia and hope they will reach out.

Regards,
Chaiwe
SuSanA Forum Moderator
Skat Foundation (With financial support by GIZ and SIRWASH up to November 2023)

Chaiwe Mushauko-Sanderse BSc. NRM, MPH
Independent consultant located in Lusaka, Zambia
Emails: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/chaiwe-mushauko-sanderse-21709129/
Twitter: @ChaiweSanderse

The following user(s) like this post: SimonT

• Carys
  • Topic Author
  • I'm a water and wastewater (WASH) engineer working in New Zealand and the Pacific Islands.

Thank you for your reply Rohini,

I'm sorry, I am a bit new to the SuSanA forum, and couldn't see your attached document, could you resend a link please? It would be great to see your design guidance and learn from your implementation experience.

Many thanks,
Carys

• Rohinipradeep
  • Sanitation and Wastewater Expert, having 15-year experience in the Sector. Currently working with CDDIndia as Project Manager. Got more than 15 years of experience in designing, implementing engineering solutions for management of wastewater, faecal sludge management, waterbody rejuvenation and drain remediation across India and South Asia.

Hi Carys,

This is Rohini Pradeep from CDD India. Based on our experience of implementation, We have developed a design guidance document for FSTP design. Find attached document for your reference. 

Regards
Rohini Pradeep
Project Manager
CDD India
Best Regards
Rohini Pradeep

CDD Society
Survey No. 205 | (Opp. Beedi Workers Colony) | Kommaghatta Road, Bandemath |Kengeri Sattelite Town | Bengaluru 560060
The following user(s) like this post: Den, Carys

• Carys
  • Topic Author
  • I'm a water and wastewater (WASH) engineer working in New Zealand and the Pacific Islands.

Greetings Chaiwe,

Thank you for your response, I have had a look through the forum and resources here and couldn't quite find what I was looking for.  Great to hear that there are some examples in Zambia, I'd love to hear more about them, if you are able to tag anyone who could help, that would be much appreciated!

Kind regards,
Carys

• Chaiwe
  • Innovation enthusiast and Knowledge Management Expert in WASH and Climate Change while cross-cutting Youth and Gender Issues. CEO of CaDev_Capacity Development (An African Social Enterprise)

Greetings Carys,

I am aware of 3 examples of compact systems that have successfully been running in Zambia for a number of years. The units were initially pilot projects and as such many years of research and information has been gathered over time.

Organisations responsible include:
BORDA ZAMBIA
Lusaka Water and Sanitation Company (LSP Programme)
Water and Sanitation for the Urban Poor (WSUP)
GIZ Zambia

I am certain any of these organisations can be of help. I will tag some colleagues in this post for their attention.

You could also search the forum using keywords and should be able to gain access to more examples, discussions, contacts and information on similar interventions. 

Kind Regards,
Chaiwe
SuSanA Forum Moderator
Skat Foundation (With financial support by GIZ and SIRWASH up to November 2023)

Chaiwe Mushauko-Sanderse BSc. NRM, MPH
Independent consultant located in Lusaka, Zambia
Emails: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/chaiwe-mushauko-sanderse-21709129/
Twitter: @ChaiweSanderse

• Carys
  • Topic Author

Small scale faecal sludge treatment

Hello,

We are working on a faecal sludge management project in Kiribati (a small coral atoll in the middle of the Pacific).  The volume of faecal sludge that needs to be treated is low, the maximum (after population growth and sanitation improvements) would be around 1,000 litres per day, but initially much lower.  We don't have much information about the current characteristics / properties of the faecal sludge, but it is predominantly from septic tanks which are emptied by vacuum truck on demand.

We are looking at options for planted and unplanted drying beds and co-composting.  I'm interested if there are minimum practical sizes or constraints for the design of small scale systems, I've read a few posts about pilot plants that probably would be similar size to our full plant, are these realistic to run long term?  We'd love to hear from anyone with experience in this!

Thanks,
Carys
The following user(s) like this post: AjitSeshadri, Hariprasad, Mandela

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds