Requesting literature on cocomposting Faecal sludge

13.5k views

Page selection:
  • Chandana
    Topic Author
  • I am a Environmental Engineer, currently pursing PhD in Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay. I am working on Faecal Sludge Management for a town. I am looking for collaboration to provide solution for FSM by experimental investigation on FS from different onsite containment and paper publications.

Re: Requesting literature on cocomposting Faecal sludge

Faeces is fresh organics removed from human body, it has property of degrading. In case of faecal sludge it comes from different onsite systems, where degradation, mineralisation and consolidation has occurred. So they are composting will be totally different as C:N ratio and organic matter content will be different.
I have completed my BE in civil engineering with a distinction in 2011.
From 2011-2013 I worked as a software engineer in IBM.
later I completed my master in environmental engineering in NIT Warangal . My Mtech thesis was done in NEERI, Nagpur on "Indoor air pollution in micro-environments".
In 2015. I joined academics as Assistant professor and worked on issues like the design of landfill, MSW management, Air pollution, Decontamination of geomaterials, etc.
Currently, I am doing my PhD in faecal sludge management.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • joeturner

Right, I understand now. So how are you contrasting faeces composting and faecal sludge composting?

• Chandana
    Topic Author
  • I am a Environmental Engineer, currently pursing PhD in Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay. I am working on Faecal Sludge Management for a town. I am looking for collaboration to provide solution for FSM by experimental investigation on FS from different onsite containment and paper publications.

Exactly!
Those all are sewage sludge, it is totally different from Faecal sludge.
Faecal sludge is the human waste decomposed in onsite system, where as sewage sludge is product of conventional sewer system. I am looking for literature specific to Faecal sludge composting.
Thanks for the response.
later I completed my master in environmental engineering in NIT Warangal . My Mtech thesis was done in NEERI, Nagpur on "Indoor air pollution in micro-environments".
In 2015. I joined academics as Assistant professor and worked on issues like the design of landfill, MSW management, Air pollution, Decontamination of geomaterials, etc.

• joeturner

Ok well I see hundreds of papers when I use "sludge" and "composting".

link to search .

• Chandana
    Topic Author

Thanks for your response, Jeoturner.

I am specifically looking for treatment of Faecal Sludge (not faeces) by co-composting. I have tried those journals and with different key words.

• joeturner

Hello Chandana - it is quite hard to help you given that you are not very clear what it is that you are looking for.

That said, there are many research papers looking at composting faeces with a range of other materials. Is it possible that you are looking for "co-composting" and missing papers that do not have this in the title?

Have you investigated journals like "Compost Science and Utilisation" which include papers on many different kinds of composting?

Good luck, I'm sure that there are a large number of papers to find and read.

• Chandana
    Topic Author

Requesting literature on cocomposting Faecal sludge

Hi all,

I am Chandana, a PhD student, working on FSM problems and providing a appropriate solution to it. I was doing literature review on FSM CO-Composting treatment. I could find limited information, mainly SANDAC work as listed below.

- Cofie, O.O., et al., Solid-liquid separation of faecal sludge using drying beds in Ghana: implications for nutrient recycling in urban agriculture. Water Res, 2006. 40(1): p. 75-82.

- Kone, D., et al., Helminth eggs inactivation efficiency by faecal sludge dewatering and co-composting in tropical climates. Water Res, 2007. 41(19): p. 4397-402.

- Cofie, O., et al., Co-composting of faecal sludge and organic solid waste for agriculture: process dynamics. Water Res, 2009. 43(18): p. 4665-75.

- Book: Faecal Sludge Management-Systems Approach for Implementation and Operation

I want to do a comparison study on different parts of FSM solutions, If anyone have any reference papers on co-composting of FS. Please provide me.

Thanks in advance
Chandana

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds