SuSanA Library now has a map with 1266 location pins

Page selection:
  • FranziskaVolk
  • I am striving for a world where we are linked, and not ranked.

Re: SuSanA Library now has a map with 1266 location pins

Hi Neil,

the way how you describe it, I can imagine it being another database very closely connected with the project and partner database. It would be great to see which SuSanA members are currently working in which regions, on which projects, with what organisations. This could also be linked to resources in the library they might have uploaded, the topics and questions in the Forum they have discussed...

So, there is a lot of potential for a much more useful member map, however this would in a first step require some detailing out on data protection and secondly, this member base would only be useful if a large number of member use it and keep their details updated. On the other hand, it could also be a chance to improve the project database if we involve members more in this, so far most of the projects come from those who are responsible for partner profiles only.

We will keep this on our wishlist for the coming year(s).

Best regards,
Franziska
I moved from the SuSanA Secretariat to the
Global Water Operators’ Partnerships Alliance (GWOPA) at UN-Habitat- visit at gwopa.org/ and follow @gwopa
The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • neilpw

Hi Franziska,

"What map did you have in mind when you think about a member map?"

The members map is great forum.susana.org/forum/statistics?statsview=2

Could it be possible to click on a country to show a list of the members in that country (perhaps with their organisation), and from there to click into the members' individual profiles? I suspect members would have to 'opt in' for their info to be available.

The above may well not be feasible or affordable, in which case it is not critical. Identifying new contacts through the forum is often a better way of doing things!

Best wishes, Neil (moderator, www.hifa.org)
Neil Pakenham-Walsh is coordinator of the HIFA global health campaign (Healthcare Information For All - www.hifa.org ), a global community with more than 19,000 members in 177 countries, interacting on six global forums in four languages. Twitter: @hifa_org FB: facebook.com/HIFAdotORG This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• FranziskaVolk

Dear Neil,

I am happy to see that you like (and use!) the map functions.

Regarding the map for SuSanA members - We already have a map that displays members by countries in the Forum statistics, see here:
forum.susana.org/forum/statistics?statsview=2

There you can see the "member density" per country, sorted alphabetically or by number of users. It is actually quite impressive to see that SuSanA has registered members from over 170 countries worldwide. The biggest number of users come from India (1.615), followed by the United States (925), Kenya (561) and Germany (556).

What map did you have in mind when you think about a member map?

Without seeing this realised soon and/or being slowed down by privacy regulations I could imagine a map with pins where people are located. For example, if I start working in area x, I could see who from the network is also working there and on which projects. This could enhance much better coordination. But this is quite far-fetched I guess. So far, SuSanA members only give their country (whether that is the country of origin or country they work in is up to them to decide).

Best regards,
Franziska
Global Water Operators’ Partnerships Alliance (GWOPA) at UN-Habitat- visit at gwopa.org/ and follow @gwopa

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Hi Neil,

I just wanted to let you know that we've taken your suggestion on board: the partner map is now the default view on the partner overview page, see here: www.susana.org/en/community/partners/list

It shows the headquarters of all the 300+ SuSanA partners on one map.

Furthermore, I have suggested to the secretariat (Franzi) that they look into generating a member map as well (for those who have opted in) if it's not too much work. We'll see what she responds.

Greetings,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• neilpw

Dear Elisabeth and all,

"Neil, thanks for your interesting suggestions... What would be the advantage to search in the title field only, like you suggested?"

This would be replicating the approach of other database searches such as Medline, where one can search on the title, abstract, journal title etc. It is arguably not essential, but may be nice to have as the database expands.

"I suspect we probably can't do the same map function for the members due to privacy concerns (or maybe we could create a map that is only visible upon logging in and only for those members who have not opted out; would you find that useful?)."

Yes, I think this could be very useful.

"We do have the same map for the 336 SuSanA partner organisations already. See here: www.susana.org/en/community/partners/list (and click on the location pin to switch to map view)"

This is excellent. I think many people will not see the map as they will not notice the location pin or equate this with the map. A text link, eg "See world map of SuSanA partners" could be helpful here.

HIFA (Healthcare Information For All: www.hifa.org) uses a similar approach to display our partners/supporting organisations:
www.hifa.org/support/supporting-organisations/map

Best wishes, Neil
Neil Pakenham-Walsh is coordinator of the HIFA global health campaign (Healthcare Information For All - www.hifa.org ), a global community with more than 19,000 members in 177 countries, interacting on six global forums in four languages. Twitter: @hifa_org FB: facebook.com/HIFAdotORG This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Hi,

I also like the new map function for the library entries very much. Hajrah and I split the task and each added the pins for about 600 library entries - it took us several months to do this but it was worth it, I think!

Looking at the density of pins for the map you can see where a lot of the sanitation work that is being reported on is taking place: Mainly India, East Africa and West Africa. The pins are much sparser in South America, Central Africa, China, Russia and surrounding countries. But this might change over time and is also due to language barriers.

Please be aware that you can zoom into the map using the plus and minus buttons at the bottom right.

I also want to point out that each library entry can only have one pin in our system (rather than several pins). So if a publication dealt with comparing three cities then we put the pin in the city that was lesser known in sanitation terms than the better known cities with more pins. E.g. if a case study dealt with Delhi, Nairobi and Port Elizabeth, then we put the pin at Port Elizabeth. I wonder whether we could become more fancy in future and allow e.g. up to 3 pins per publication.
If the publication dealt with a policy at national level then we put the pin in the capital city.

Neil, thanks for your interesting suggestions. At present, the search field searches in the title, author and summary field, but not inside of the pdf file itself (technically not possible).

We recently implemented three sub-options for the text search:
- Look for all words (this is the default)
- Find exact phrase
- Look for any words

What would be the advantage to search in the title field only, like you suggested?

I suspect we probably can't do the same map function for the members due to privacy concerns (or maybe we could create a map that is only visible upon logging in and only for those members who have not opted out; would you find that useful?).

We do have the same map for the 336 SuSanA partner organisations already. See here: www.susana.org/en/community/partners/list (and click on the location pin to switch to map view)

You can see in terms of SuSanA partners, a lot of them are in Europe and India. The pins show the headquarter location, i.e. again only one pin per partner.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
Attachments:

• neilpw

Dear Hajrah and Franziska

Congratulations! This is a wonderful new tool for SuSanA, and is very easy to use. One can even apply a combined filter for refined search. And one can do text searches.

One small refinement could be to allow text searches on Title versus Abstract/summary versus Fulltext.

This approach could also be replicated to create a map display, with text search and filters (eg professional status) for SuSanA's members.

Best wishes, Neil
Neil Pakenham-Walsh, Healthcare Information For All: www.hifa.org

• FranziskaVolk

Dear Hajrah,

thank you for the efforts with the location pins! (please note that the pins were marked manually with much attention to details)

I do like the new feature very much, it gives an overview at first glance - and the pins even adapt to the different filters (type of resource, setting or users, treatment technology, training resource, reuse type, working group, language, SuSanA-publications, region or countries).

You can for example get a quick overview of french country/region/ or city-specific resources by ticking the filter for french under language;

The resources below the map contain the complete collection of what is in the library, not only those that are on the map (as not all library entries have a pin). So if you don't find the resource you are looking for on the map, please try scrolling down.

Best regards,
Franziska

on behalf of the secretariat
Attachments:

• secretariat
    Topic Author
  • SuSanA secretariat currently allocates 2 full time person equivalents of time from members of GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Team: Arne Panesar, Alexandra Dubois, Maren Heuvels, Teresa Häberlein, Daphne Manolakos and Bettina-Sophie Heinz.

SuSanA Library now has a map with 1266 location pins

Dear all,

We are happy to announce that the library is now updated with 1266 location pins on a map! See here: www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/resource...publications/library

Each pin stands for a library document that is specific to a location. You can zoom in and out of the map. The pins are interactive: by hovering over the pins you can get a quick overview of which publications are specifically about your region of interest.

Here is a screenshot as an example:

Best regards
Hajrah

on behalf of the SuSanA Secretariat
Posted by a member of the SuSanA secretariat held by the GIZ Sector Program Water Policy – Innovations for Resilience
Located at Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Bonn, Germany
Follow us on facebook: www.facebook.com/susana.org, linkedin: www.linkedin.com/company/sustainable-sanitation-alliance-susana and twitter: twitter.com/susana_org

Attachments:
The following user(s) like this post: bitwire2010

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.302 seconds