Cultural and social challenges with using toilet-linked biogas technology

Page selection:
  • paresh
  • Budding WASH researcher, especially interested in governance, public policy, finance, politics and social justice. Architect, Urban & Regional planner by training, Ex. C-WAS, India.I am a patient person :)

Re: Cultural and social challenges with using toilet-linked biogas technology

Hi Natalie!!
This is an interesting area of work. If you are still looking to talk to people, I know an organisation that got a few hundred biogas linked toilets installed in a 4-5 towns in Kerala, India. Will be happy to get you in touch. 

An agri-entrepreneur whose family has been practicing organic farming for a couple of decades and using slurry from biogas both in their fields and kitchen garden in rural Marathwada region of Maharashtra, India; when suggested that they could also connect the toilet to the biogas plant, they commented and I quote

The workers will not even touch such slurry

On the contrary, I have heard farmers extensively  use untreated faecal sludge in banana plantation near Bangalore. In this context, I am curious to know more about your findings. It would be great if you could share them.

Also interested in knowing more about your PhD research in general, which cases you could pursue, what stage are you at, so on and so forth. 

Regards
paresh
Paresh Chhajed-Picha
Researcher at Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay, India
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @Sparsh85
Wikipedia: Sparsh85

Co-moderator of this discussion forum

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • csk
  • I work on the toilet, sanitation, biogas, FSM, environmental science and engineering, and I hope to contribute to the toilet revolution in China and in the global. I am happy to share Chinese WASH story.

Sure. my email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
local mobile 07873858791

Kind regards

Shikun
Shikun Cheng,
Associate professor, Ph.D
Center for Sustainable Environmental Sanitation (CSES)
Department of Environmental Science and Engineering
University of Science and Technology Beijing (USTB)
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• NatalieAliceBoydWilliams
    Topic Author
  • Ph.D student researching the role of toilet-linked anaerobic digestion in creating sustainable rural livelihoods. I am working on an interdisiplinary project applying socio-technical methods of data collection and analyis.

Hi Pawan,

Thank you for your reply.

Your studies are very interesting. I sent you a personal message but not sure if you have received it.

Would really like to discuss with you further and see if I could visit Gujarat. My email is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. if you could please contact me if you have time.

Thank you in advance and hope to talk some more soon.

Natalie
Ph.D student researching the role of toilet-linked anaerobic digestion in creating sustainable rural livelihoods.

Investigating the social and cultural barriers that affect the acceptance of human excreta as a source of biogas and agricultural fertiliser and how pathways to acceptance can be forged.

Interested in the intersection of energy and sanitation : )

Topic Author
  • Ph.D student researching the role of toilet-linked anaerobic digestion in creating sustainable rural livelihoods. I am working on an interdisiplinary project applying socio-technical methods of data collection and analyis.

Dear Shikun CHENG,

Thank you for your reply and link to your study. I have read it and another of your papers 'Development and application of prefabricated biogas digesters in developing countries'. Very interesting and I would really like the opportunity to talk with you further.

I cannot attend the IWA conference. I am at another conference in Edinburgh from the 11th-13th of June. Would you be able to organize a meeting around this time with me?

I could meet with you when the conference finishes after 5 pm on any of the dates 11-13th June. Also, I am based only half an hour away in Stirling so could meet with you on the 10th or 14th June at any time.

My email is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Look forward to hopefully hearing from you soon and organizing a meeting.

Kind regards,

Natalie
Ph.D student researching the role of toilet-linked anaerobic digestion in creating sustainable rural livelihoods.

Investigating the social and cultural barriers that affect the acceptance of human excreta as a source of biogas and agricultural fertiliser and how pathways to acceptance can be forged.

• csk
  • I work on the toilet, sanitation, biogas, FSM, environmental science and engineering, and I hope to contribute to the toilet revolution in China and in the global. I am happy to share Chinese WASH story.

Dear Williams,

You can also find the study report in SusanA library about toilet-linked 4-in-1 biogas system in Northeast China.

www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/resource...library/details/1213

I am the field study leader of this project. And I am happy to share with you.

I am in UK, Imperial College London this year and I am going to join the IWA conference in Edinburgh from 9, June-18th, June.

Kind regards

Shikun CHENG
Shikun Cheng,
Associate professor, Ph.D
Center for Sustainable Environmental Sanitation (CSES)
Department of Environmental Science and Engineering
University of Science and Technology Beijing (USTB)
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The following user(s) like this post: NatalieAliceBoydWilliams

• yvfdez

www.homebiogas.com/
sistemabiobolsa.com/

I hope these can help

Regards

Yuri

Topic Author

Thank you Pawan and Elisabeth,

I will look further into these studies.

Regards,

Natalie

• LynnMcG

Hi Natalie
SOWTech CIC based in the UK have been working in this field for a number of years in Africa. If you check out our website www.sowtech.com and contact me directly I have people who may be willing to discuss this with you.
Regards
Lynn

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Here are the links to the two reports on biogas technology in India that Pawan mentioned (and authored):
Jha, P. K. (2017). Toilet linked biogas slurry applied to crops - Report on physicochemical and microbiological analyses of slurry from toilet linked biogas plants. WASTE Netherlands, FINISH Society, India
www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/resource...library/details/2864

and
Jha, P. K. (2014). Bio-gas yields from Toilet Linked Biogas Plants in Nausari / Valsad District, Gujarat, India. WASTE Netherlands, FINISH Society, India
www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/resource...library/details/2863

I am glad to know they are already in the SuSanA library.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• pkjha
  • Working for over 30 years in the fields of sanitation, biogas from human wastes, septage management, waste water treatment in rural as well as urban areas in India and other developing countries.

Dear Williams
There are several toilet linked biogas plants in rural India. I provided drawings and helped implement a few hundred toilet linked biogas plants in the state of Gujarat, India, with the support from the WASTE, the Netherlands. Final report on the project is available in the Susana Library.
Best

Pawan
Pawan Jha
Chairman
Foundation for Environment and Sanitation
Mahavir Enclave
New Delhi 110045, India
Web: www.foundation4es.org
Linked: linkedin.com/in/drpkjha

• pardeve

Re: Reply: Cultural and social challenges with using toilet-linked biogas technology

+233 24 410 8268 u call this in Ghana he is in biogas projects in Ghana may he be helpful Lovans

Thanks Annor Douglas

Topic Author

Cultural and social challenges with using toilet-linked biogas technology

Dear SuSanA Community,

I am embarking on an interesting Ph.D. project that is investigating the social and cultural challenges that arise with the use of toilet-linked anaerobic digestion technology and its products (biogas and fertiliser).

As part of the study, I would like to identify communities, groups or individuals that are already using the toilet-linked biogas technology and ask them some questions on their experiences, opinions and what they do and do not use the biogas and fertiliser for and why.

I was wondering if anyone in this online community knows of companies/NGO/other organisations I could contact that are installing this toilet-linked biogas technology (either previously or ongoing) and might be able and willing to facilitate me in interviewing their customers. Or if you know of someone or a community that has one/some that I could contact directly.

Ideally, this would be in Nepal/ India where my project is focused. I am preparing for a visit end of May/ June this year and have loose travel plans at the moment so could visit various locations for interviews. I am also planning a longer visit for fieldwork in Oct/ November this year when I could conduct some interviews.

I thank you all in advance for your time and will be grateful for any recommendations or contacts that you can put me in touch with.

Kind regards,

Natalie Boyd Williams

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds