Standards or norms for design of Community and Public toilet

27.2k views

Page selection:
  • nityajacob
  • Water Policy Analyst and Author; Moderator of the SuSanA India Chapter; WASH Lead at Swasti

Re: Standards or norms for design of Community and Public toilet

Dear all

We have started a discussion on the SuSanA India Chapter on rural community sanitary complexes. Some of the resources here would be really useful there. Can I request Andres and Mr Jha to share their comments there also.

The link is forum.susana.org/forum/?view=topic&catid...&id=24382&start=1000

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • andreshuesoWA
  • Senior Policy Analyst - Sanitation at WaterAid. PhD on rural sanitation in India.

Hi,
I wanted to also share the female-friendly public and community toilet guide, which gives useful suggestions for how to ensure that the facilities cater to the requirements of women, girls, people with disabilities: washmatters.wateraid.org/publications/fe...-and-decision-makers
It also has a list of resources that captures many global and regional standards.
The SBM guide you shared incorporates already some of the features included in the guide.
Kind regards,
Andrés
WaterAid
Andrés Hueso
Senior Policy Analyst – Sanitation
WaterAid
Follow me on Twitter @andreshuesoWA
The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth

• aasimmansuri
    Topic Author
  • Engineer Planner, Senior Program Lead at Center for Water and Sanitation, CEPT University

Hi Elisabeth,

Thanks for the note.

We have now been using a advisory that Govt. of India has published for Community and public toilets under the national programme Swachh Bharat Mission.

Here is the link to the guidelines : 164.100.228.143:8080/sbm/content/writere...munuity%20Toilet.pdf

Regards,
Aasim
Aasim Mansuri
Senior Program Lead
Center for Water and Sanitation
CEPT University, Ahmedabad-380009, Gujarat, India
M: +91 98 98 324874 | O: +91 79 26302470

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. l This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | www.pas.org.in
fb.com/pas.cept | linkedin.com/in/pascept

• pkjha
  • Working for over 30 years in the fields of sanitation, biogas from human wastes, septage management, waste water treatment in rural as well as urban areas in India and other developing countries.

Dear Elisabeth and All

For community / public toilets there are standard norms by Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) 1993. The norms mention details of no. of users (men and women) per WC for community toilets and public toilets for different locations, like bus stands, railway stations, vegetable markets, other shopping centres, factories, office buildings, restaurants etc. It also mentions recommended size of toilet cubicles, bath rooms, urinals, washing area etc.
There are several guidelines on public/ community toilets released by the Ministry of Urban Affairs, Government of India and some state governments. All guidelines follow the same Standards of BIS 1993.
You can find norms of users of public toilets for different locations in the Guidelines for Public and Community toilets Managed by Cities in Andhra Pradesh, submitted by the GIZ to the State Government in 2016. It has a lot of useful information. I was involved in preparing the manuscript of the guidelines. Below is the link:
sac.ap.gov.in/sac/UserInterface/Downlaod...0PT%20Guidelines.pdf
Last month, I prepared a complete manuscript on Operational Guidelines for Community Sanitary Complexes in Rural Areas in Bihar State for the World Bank. It is in the process of release by the Bank / State Government. Operation and Management of CSCs in rural areas is a major challenge as (i) pay and use of toilet is not affordable by the targeted groups and (ii) sustainable and safe management of human wastes, as most of the areas are unsewered. Different options to cover these two challenging points are highlighted in the Guidelines.
Best regards

Pawan
Pawan Jha
Chairman
Foundation for Environment and Sanitation
Mahavir Enclave
New Delhi 110045, India
Web: www.foundation4es.org
Linked: linkedin.com/in/drpkjha

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Aasim,
You asked the question about standards back in March 2013 ("Are there any norms / standards for design of Community toilet and a public toilet available ?"). Just to close the loop: which document(s) would you now recommend for this purpose? Did you delvelop your own standard or found one that you really like?

(that book that you mentioned from the World Toilet Organization ("ICC G3-2011 Global Guideline for Practical Public Toilet Design") is unfortunately not available for free as far as I can see, e.g.:
shop.iccsafe.org/icc-g3-2011-global-guid...toilet-design-1.html]

Dear Shayontoni,

Could you clarify two statements in your post as I didn't understand them?

Usually 1 for every 25 women but that's ridiculous.

- what value do you recommend or find practical in terms of costs-benefits?

Another thumb rule for CTCs [Community Toilet Complexes] is that it should cater to 5 meter radii.

- are you saying there should be a toilet complex every 10 metres? That seems rather close together?

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• shayontoni

Dear Aasim.

For Community Toilet Complexes we usually take a thumb rule of 1 seat for 25 - 30 persons. Usually 1 for every 25 women but that's ridiculous.

There are no norms for bathing areas or child friendly seats.

Another thumb rule for CTCs is that it should cater to 5 meter radii. However, as I have seen with slums, during peak hours, due to the density of population and lack of household toilet, the CTCs can become unusable and encourage defecating in the open. So finalization of number of seats can be arrived at, by meeting with the community aside from the thumb rule.

This is the case for a CTC, which will obviously differ in case of a Public Toilet having a floating population.

Hope that helps!

• aasimmansuri
    Topic Author
  • Engineer Planner, Senior Program Lead at Center for Water and Sanitation, CEPT University

Hi Jonathan and Ben,

Thanks for the documents. Please find attached document on Global Guideline for Practical Public Toilet Design for your reference.

This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Jonathan : In Indian context we also found only this one document that you shared with us --guidelines for community toilets by Ministry of urban affairs and employment , GOI.

Thanks.

Best regards,
Aasim
Aasim Mansuri
Senior Program Lead

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. l This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | www.pas.org.in

This message has an attachment file.

The following user(s) like this post: ashvathsingh

• ben
  • Water and sanitation engineer

Dear Aasim,

I doubt that it will be very usefull for you but for the other francophones community members, I attach the french norms for public toilets.

In French:
Je doute que ces documents ne vous soient très utiles, mais pour les membres francophones de ce forum je vous joins les deux normes réglementant les toilettes publiques en france.

Cordialement,

Ben

This message has attachments files.

• jonpar
  • As part of the Engineering team, my role at IMC is to lead on the delivery of projects requiring specific expertise on urban sanitation (including excreta/waste/wastewater/stormwater management) focusing on technical, institutional and financial aspects in project design and implementation.

Dear Aasim, greetings from Bangalore where I am currently working with CDD-BORDA. We have also been discussing guidelines for management/regulation of communal/public toilets and we'd be interested to know what you came up with. Attached are a few documents that I found on the internet. best regards, Jonathan
Dr. Jonathan Parkinson
Principal Consultant – Water and Sanitation
IMC Worldwide Ltd, Redhill, United Kingdom
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

This message has attachments files.

• aasimmansuri
    Topic Author

Hi Carol,

Thanks for the document. i will surely share with you documents on standards that i find.

Regards,
Aasim
Aasim Mansuri
Senior Program Lead

The following user(s) like this post: Carol McCreary

• Carol McCreary
  • I'm a volunteer at PHLUSH (Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human) www.phlush.org

Hi, Assim,

Here are a couple of things that might be helpful:
  1. Global Guideline for Practical Public Toilet Design ICC G3-2011. World Toilet Organization and International Code Council Development Committee, 2011 shop.iccsafe.org/icc-g3-2011-global-guid...toilet-design-1.html Unfortunately, it looks like you have to buy it but here is an overview. shop.iccsafe.org/media/wysiwyg/material/7053S11-toc.pdf
  2. Toilet Design Resourceshttp://www.phlush.org/public-restroom-planning/books/
  3. PHLUSH Public Restroom Design Principles. www.phlush.org/public-restroom-planning/...m-design-principles/
I am interested to see what else you find. Good luck.

Carol
Carol McCreary
Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human (PHLUSH)
1240 W. Sims Way #59, Port Townsend, Washington 98368 USA

Toilet availability is a human right and well-designed sanitation systems restore health to our cities, our waters and our soils.

• aasimmansuri
    Topic Author

Standards or norms for design of Community and Public toilet

Hi All,

Are there any norms / standards for design of Community toilet and a public toilet available ? in terms of number of persons per toilet seat, bathing unit etc and at what distances should this facility be located from the settlements etc.

Please do share this norms/standards with us.

Regards,
Aasim
Aasim Mansuri
Senior Program Lead

The following user(s) like this post: transfoundation

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds