Improving Wikipedia article on "Environmental enteropathy"

17.5k views

Page selection:
  • sbudge2017
  • PhD BabyWASH and Nutrition in Ethiopia with Cranfield University & People in Need

Re: Improving Wikipedia article on "Environmental enteropathy"

Elisabeth,
Thanks for the guidance.
Perhaps if I copy into a word doc I can highlight with suggestions - then you can decide whether to incorporate them or not :)
Thanks,
Sophie

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
    Topic Author
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Sophie,

Great, thanks for volunteering to look at the Wikipedia article on environmental enteropathy and to help to improve it.
You can either do it like Marcos did it for Waste Stabilisation Ponds (he copied it to Word and marked up his changes in a Word document), see here forum.susana.org/discussions-about-speci...-stabilization-ponds , or make the changes yourself directly in Wikipedia, following the Wikipedia editing rules. Whichever method you prefer is fine.

Be sure to also take a look at the talk page where we have already discussed some shortcomings and possible improvements of this article:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Environmental_enteropathy

Thanks!

Dear Mughal,
Thanks for pointing out more literatur on this topic. With the Wikipedia work, we try to provide some curation and "translation for the layperson" services, i.e. we try to ensure the most relevant papers are cited in the Wikipedia articles and their findings translated into a language that normal persons (non-experts) can understand and appreciate.

Cheers,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• sbudge2017
  • PhD BabyWASH and Nutrition in Ethiopia with Cranfield University & People in Need

Yes the Korpe paper is a very good read.
EE is now more commonly known as environmental enteric dysfunction - see:
journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/156482651303400308

I'd be more than happy to look over the entry Elisabeth - certainly I'm not an expert yet but I've read most of the papers out there.

Sophie

• F H Mughal
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

Please have a look at this interesting paper:

Environmental Enteropathy: Critical implications of a poorly understood condition
Poonum S. Korpe and William A. Petri
Division of Infectious Diseases and International Health, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, USA
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3372657/

Concluding remarks says (in part):

Children and adults who inhabit a fecally contaminated environment are at risk for the
development of EE, which is marked by alterations in intestinal architecture, increased
intestinal inflammation and permeability, deranged gut immune response, and growth
faltering. These changes have important implications for dealing with maladies that affect
the developing world, including malnutrition and infectious diseases control.

F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

• Elisabeth
    Topic Author
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Improving Wikipedia article on "Environmental enteropathy"

Sophie posted in this thread (forum.susana.org/23-hygiene-and-hand-was...-or-super-amma#23709) that she is working on "I am looking at the gap between WASH and nutrition and stunting in infants in Ethiopia - particularly the contribution of environmental enteric dysfunction from chronic pathogen exposure."

So this prompted me to bring to your attention that we have a Wikipedia article on "Environmental enteropathy" (same thing as environmental enteric dysfunction (?)) which has recently been improved as part of a course work assignement at a university in the U.S. and which could benefit from further improvements.
See here:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_enteropathy

Sophie would you like to help improve this important Wikipedia article? That would be great.

Regards,
Elisabeth

P.S. I love it when universities get their students to work on Wikipedia articles as part of their course work. The latest round of improvements came about based on this course at the University of California called "Expanding WikiProject Medicine":
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wiki_Ed/...all_2017_(Fall_2017)
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds